When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A well-written article....

tabularasa415

The awareness that Rolex, rightly or wrongly, is associated with a certain kind of person in many minds –generally male, American, McMansion-owning, loud, golf-obsessed, sartorially challenged and gastronomically undiscriminating, and fond of unnecessarily large and inefficient automobiles –merely serves to confirm the prejudice that unless one wants to be taken for an illbred, reactionary lout, Rolex and all it stands for is best avoided.

Damn, I resemble that remark!

But luckily I fell into the third category of collecting mid priced vintage watches (and building frankens and modding reps).

Nice. But I think to really understand the brand one has to more or less fully separate vintage from contemporary. More than just coming to realize that a Rolex is a nice quality watch as the article describes, the appreciation that it was pretty far ahead of its peers in the 50s and 60s as a tool watch is important for reaching the third stage.

Watches like the day-date that never held this sort of position are not on many collectors' wrists.

Freddy, I knew you'd definitely appreciate it. When I first came here and had more interest in lots of other brands, I remember observing you as one of THE Rolex guys here, and I didn't understand why -- until I caught the sickness. Now I'd say I fit in the third category as well. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stage 4: The person who appreciates vintage Rolex's for their simplicity of design, classic looks and robustness. Recognises that they are just a piece of machinery which can be replicated at a fraction of the cost of the 'genuine' article and builds himself a fantastic rep and wears it with pride telling all and sundry that it is what it is, a replica of an iconic watch.

• Like 1