When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My grail watch - The Double Red Sea Dweller

danielv2000

Before I found this wonderful place, my dream watch was a Double Red Sea Dweller. When I began searching online, I landed on doubleredseadweller.com and spent hours reading the details of each watch, each dial. I found a number of other sites which showcased this fantastic looking watch. I never had any appreciation for a "plain" Great White and even less for a Comex. Another brand on a Rolex, never? (I have since grown up and have a highly modded GW 1665 and am working towards a Comex!)

I have purchased many a double-red over the last few years. Re-selling each of them quickly as I could not live with the imperfections. I am by no means picky but I wanted a watch that would work without too many tells. The problem with a DRSD, the dial is too expensive to really consider a genuine and finding one. Impossible. I always knew that I would have to live with a rep dial.

So after a number of attempts at a "legitimate" DRSD, I recently had the opportunity to purchase a real beauty from a reputable member.

Here is she is. I posted teaser pics yesterday after I picked it up. Wanted to take a look inside!

Here's a better straight shot of the watch!

Thank you RWG! Thanks to the seller for a flawless transaction! A dream comes true. While I love all my other watches including my super-duper Franken Daytona's, this one has now taken the top spot!

img03122.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

img03131z.jpg

img03061.jpg

img03011h.jpg

• Like 1

It is a beauty. If you want to tweak it a bit more, consider installing a working He valve & have the dial relumed with non- or barely-glowing lume (or paint). Very few of the gens have any glow left in them (I have never actually seen 1 that glows in the past 10 years), let alone that give-away green hue I see in some of the pics that denotes modern lume.

Very nice and definitely a great start in the right direction..Definitely needs attention to the dial. Freddy's right (heck,he always is!!) getting the dial relumed with vintage lume will be a big help. Get some paint thinner and work on that paint inside the lettering on the case back. Never see a genuine with the paint filled letters.

Another plus, you don't see too many with 585 end links which are the correct ones for that watch.

AFA the HEV, I don't know what it will cost to source and install a working HEV, but the new cases that Highoey is building will come with a working HEV. They also solve a few of the problems that are inherent to the MBW cases. Of course until and actual case is in the hands of one of our super talented modders, we won't know for sure.

What case was used for this build?

You are correct the 1665 is an iconic watch, and probably a line of watches that over the years, if they could talk, would have the most interesting stories of any of the Rolex lines. It's one of my favorites of all the Rolex watches. In fact if I were allowed only two watches, no exceptions, One would be a 1665 and the second would be a GMT , probably either a 6542 or a 16750.

Thanks guys. This is an MBW case. It already has a gen HE valve,The picture doesn't show it well. Crappy iPhone pics. Also it already has gen crown, crystal, insert and thoses 585s are gen.

AS for the dial, I have another NDT dial which was relumed to perfection by PB with a vintage patina look. However, there are other details on the dial I do not like and hence, I prefer this Yuki dial despite its lack of patina. Every time I see a vintage white dial on VRF, I am amazed at how it withstood the test of time.

I'll post better pics of the HE side when I can charge th SLR

It's one of my favorites of all the Rolex watches. In fact if I were allowed only two watches, no exceptions, One would be a 1665 and the second would be a GMT , probably either a 6542 or a 16750.

Ditto. A 1665 and a 1675. Plan B is a 16600 and 16710!

This is an MBW case. It already has a gen HE valve,The picture doesn't show it well.

I was going by this pic

img03011h.jpg

I do not see the internal valve components at 4 o'clock, or even the cut-out in the inside wall of the case where they would fit?

I will check my archives for a better pic, but this should give you an idea of what it should look like

1575dial0041.jpg

017-2_2__tonemapped1-1.jpg

I already miss it!

The watch had an ndt great white dial in it when I got it. It started out years ago as a lazani tribal Franken build I believe and changed many hands in the forum from what I was told. After the job PB did on the relume it blows away the . He tore out the goofy round puffy yuki markers and rebuilt them nice a flat.

The dial markers are actually a putty color, can't tell from the pics as lighting makes them look white. There is only a very feint glow which I knew would not be accurate but I am a lume [censored].

image.jpg

2012-08-24_11-36-10_780.jpg

Get it in a bag of rocks and give it a good shake ;)

Maybe. Not just yet. I'm liking the freshly serviced from RSC look.

As a comparison of the hour markers, here's a wrish shot of a DRSD someone posted on VRF yesterday.

@Woof & Blue: Thanks, guys!

drsdvrf.jpg

Good looking watch D! I'm not one of those who is big on a working HE valve on a rep, but since you have the 1570 movt, maybe you should go all the way! But it's your call.

I do think a PB vintage lume would be cool- I like reps/frankens that glow. How many watch aficionados do you run with anyway?

Contacted the Dan after he confirmed there was no HE for full refund. Id most gladly take her back.

Previous owner made it sound as if the mod had been done amongst all the work by previous owners and modders but it's certainly my fault for not checking with you guys on it first.

Contacted the Dan after he confirmed there was no HE for full refund. Id most gladly take her back.

Previous owner made it sound as if the mod had been done amongst all the work by previous owners and modders but it's certainly my fault for not checking with you guys on it first.

Appreciate the offer. I'm dealing with a gentleman!

Did you pay a premium for the valve??

It was definitely factored into my decision.

Anyone know how much the mod would set me back? I will email The Zigmeister as well.

IIRC the Zigmeister is on extended leave. Others have done this... if fact someone here made a HE valve from scratch. Do a search and I bet he can do yours too.

EMail to Zigmeister sent! We'll see what the response is.

I checked Yuki and none in stock.

Does Phong have any?