When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Superdomes to be re-released by Rolex?

freddy333

I would expect Steve to say something like that.After all he makes his living selling vintage Rolex watches. Far be it for him to rile up all the folks on the Rolex Forum and Vintage Rolex Forum!!

Most of those guys would rather kiss a Rattlesnake before they would put any aftermarket part on their Rolex.

"I love how they pan aftermarket (Clark) crystals. I have never had a WR issue, quality, or fit issue with a Clark or Sternkruz."

Me neither.

I bet many of these guys bought aftmkt crystals in 'rolex' packages and paid a LOT of $$ never knowing the difference. Same guys probably have a 1520/1570/75 with aftmkt stem, winding rotor axle, mainspring, center wheel, fourth wheel, CP, intermediate wheel (in autowind assembly), aftmkt case tube, gaskets etc...carefully cleaned with Ronson's and oiled with 3 in 1.

...and they all wonder why their rolex smells like a Zippo lighter.

No one even cared about this until the internet started making 'experts' out of all these fools. :prop:

I started seeing them in droves at watch shows about 15 years ago...1000 questions, no answers, and not a clue.

"If it is not Rolex it must be junk, right?" :p

Dat's wat ah reed on da internut.

Imho todays 'Macho Watcho' is a G Shock, not a fragile, pricey, $lickdick rolex. Hee Haw! :yeah:

Btw, I've had good luck with GS crystals for years.

...but I'm still not goofy enough (yet) to jump in the water wearing a $5k "no parts for you!" wristwatch. :snorkel:

• Like 1

Automatico, I can guarantee that has happened over there.

A few years ago I had a long PM exchange with a long time member of RWG and VRF. He pretty much flew beneath the covers. There was a sudden flurry of unobtainable crystals coming out of VRF and I asked him whazzup?

He said he knew for a fact the guy had found a long roll of vintage crystals, individually wrapped. He had been putting these vintages in old Rolex wax paper envelopes and selling them for silly money to guys on TZ and VRF.

Nanuq...I remember that. A few backfired on the guy, cracked etc. A suspicious poster or two even went so far as to question the origin of them later on.

I have some old rolex crystals in green and white unsealed paper rolex USA envelopes that I bought from a rolex AD and there is nothing to keep anyone from putting no name crystals in them.

I know they are genuine but can not prove it (to sell only the crystal) so I use them for replacements.

Also heard there are fake rolex crystals in fake sealed green letter 'rolex' plastic bags (red letters for tooter). :ph34r:

Don't get me wrong, I love the initial shine and subjective better clarity of a GEN. After a month of long sleeve shirts, cuff links, buttons, pulling on jackets, wiping smudges, and hitting door jambs~~ Your slightly shinier GEN crystal is not going to look any better than a Clark/GS/Sternkruz. (Or a week with with Nanuq) ;)

Just sayin.

If they can rep entire watches-- replicating "Baggies" and "Air Bubble Packaging" is probably cake. That reminds me, if anyone has a personal connection to Clark, tell that man to start making Tropic 38's :D

Lord have mercy, did you say a TROPIC 38?

I just died and went to heaven. I have a 1675 tropical gilt that's languishing for want of a 38.

Please please please please please :pray:

I dont really agree with this VRF post. A good aftermarket crystal will pass a pressure test. I have done it many times with my watchmaker friend and his rolex pressure testers. Plexiglass is plexiglass. As long as its a proper spec crystal and fit the watch, it will pass pressure test.

dizz

"I dont really agree with this VRF post."

Me neither. The vast majority of VRF types probably believe if it is not signed 'rolex' that it is not any good, no matter what it is.

"A good aftermarket crystal will pass a pressure test. I have done it many times with my watchmaker friend and his rolex pressure testers. Plexiglass is plexiglass. As long as its a proper spec crystal and fit the watch, it will pass pressure test."

I have also found this to be true. I can usually tell ahead of the test if a certain crystal might cause trouble....too loose or too tight on the case, bezel too tight or too loose when pressed over the crystal etc.

Some crystal material is brittle and some is not...I have seen some crystals that you can twist a quarter turn and not crack, and some that crack with just a slight twist.

Brittle crystals will often have tiny cracks running from the bottom edge of the crystal skirt up to the top edge of the crystal retaining bezel. These cracks are hard to spot, especially on watches with rotating bezels that cover the crystal retaining bezel. You can look straight down around the edge of the crystal (mounted on the watch) with a 10x loupe and bright light to find the cracks.

Before installing a crystal, look for nicks or scratches on the case neck where the crystal mounts on the case. If someone has pushed a blade too deep under the crystal retaining bezel and pried up on the retaining bezel, they can make scratches and nicks that will cause a leak. Also look for case corrosion around the case neck etc.

Plexiglas (plastic) tends to lose some of its elasticity with age, which can leave it brittle &/or with a tendency to develop hairline cracks that may appear with pressure/temperature changes.

That's pretty much what happened to my 1665 superdome. I'm sure I hit it on some solid objects a few times which probably accelerated the problem. It passed a pressure test a little over a year ago, but a few months back, I hit it full force with a water hose that slipped in my hand, a few minutes later, fog under the crystal. I sent it to a watchsmith, who discoverd that the crystal had several hairline cracks, but one big one that extended up the side into the curve. He replaced it with a Clark and it's been fine since, pressure tested to 6 atm (the most my machine will go).

I agree that probably the clarity of the crystal might not be quite as good as the genuine, but as Ronin stated, wear will reduce the clarity and in a few weeks, they are about the same.If it looks the same, my most important criteria is water resistance.

• Like 1

I had a stash of four vintage Superdome T39 crystals saved up, and it was time to replace the nasty, gouged-up Service Replacement T39 on my 1665.

Off I went to the Rolex AD with parts in hand. We pulled the old crystal and decased the movement, then looked the four horsemen over with loupes. We graded them best through ugliest, and tried test fits.

The prettiest one went on just right, so the seals were greased and we ran a pressure check of the empty case. It failed dramatically where the retaining ring would not seal the crystal to the rehaut at the 5:30 position.

So the next prettiest crystal went on, another pressure check, and another dramatic failure at the 10:30 position.

We popped off the retaining ring for inspection, and looked the case over under the loupes. All were in excellent condition, no gouges, scrapes or cracks.

We tried the next-prettiest and the ugliest crystals, both of them failed too. Dramatic leaks.

Bottom line: the crystals sat so long in their envelopes they lost elasticity, and would not deform to seal correctly to the case. So we mounted up the prettiest crystal, and I had to accept that the 1665 will never go swimming again.

PS: it was only much later I found out he can get fresh new high dome crystals from Rolex. I have not had one installed because I don't want to fight the temptation to go swimming with the old girl. I have other watches for that.

I have got a used gen T39 and am in two minds weather to put it on my 1665 which currently sports a Clarks rep. The watch has been tested to 3 atm pressure and I go swimming with it confidently so I think i will stick with the Clarks. Seems wrong to wear a divers watch that has such great pedigree but can't even be able to take a quick dip in the pool! :fool:

• Like 1

Seems wrong to wear a divers watch that has such great pedigree but can't even be able to take a quick dip in the pool! :fool:

You're exactly right. Problem is, if it floods, some parts are hard to get, others are impossible to get. My 1665 has been to 2,000' in chambers many times, and has spent weeks decompressing. It got its seals replaced and greased every year like clockwork.

Then it failed at 80 feet.

The watchmaker rescued it and saved all the original parts, but that was a 1/1000 chance. Those odds are too high for me now.

Now the MBW 1665 does the swimming and the gen stays dry. And I hate that it's like that.

• Like 1