When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tvt's Guangzhou Watch Markets "live" Report, Watch Paradise Is Real

Chronus

You ought to win post of the month for that! (and then donate your prize to me since you got to have the cool experience and bargain basement prices). Seriously I'd have loved to have been there with you. Sounds awesome!!!!!!

HA!

It was a great time and quite the experience to be sure. I sitll recall when I first set foot in the first of the markets we saw and just saw this SEA of watches in front of my eyes. It was almost as if I was dreaming, honestly. Still to this day I have to remind myself that no, it WAS real.

I think we get caught up in our collecting here. One guy has 10 watches, another has 100! Some peopel have 3, they are precious little gems... but when you see hundreds of thousands of watches piled into case after case after case... it gives you a TOTALLY different perspective for sure.

Customs was no problem, I put a couple watches in each bag (we were in China for three weeks so we had a lot of luggage) and simply walked on through.

I think customs is really a crap shoot but few people have real probelms, though I would not want a case just JAMMED with watches for sure.

Ken:

To be very honest I am not even sure what Post of the Month consists of, I mean it is just a title right? I am happy that people enjoy the story and have given me much feedback.

now it is true it WAS writen months back (in fact YEAR back) but it was never posted HERE until just a week or so back! I am not sure that when something was writen is as important as the content... but again I did not post it to win any title or honor, I just really enjoyed the trip and I am psyched that people are willing to share the experience with me!

Customs was no problem, I put a couple watches in each bag (we were in China for three weeks so we had a lot of luggage) and simply walked on through.

I think customs is really a crap shoot but few people have real probelms, though I would not want a case just JAMMED with watches for sure.

Ken:

To be very honest I am not even sure what Post of the Month consists of, I mean it is just a title right? I am happy that people enjoy the story and have given me much feedback.

now it is true it WAS writen months back (in fact YEAR back) but it was never posted HERE until just a week or so back! I am not sure that when something was writen is as important as the content... but again I did not post it to win any title or honor, I just really enjoyed the trip and I am psyched that people are willing to share the experience with me!

i should let it be known that TVT has retained me as counsel - and i have to assert that he is correct in its posting in thsi particular forum.

Therefor hitherto i believe he should be qualified for any post of the month here thereafter

TVT - post of the month is sponsered and you get free stuff like watches - this month its like cufflinks or something

As your attorney i am taking 1/3 :)

although i maintain post of the year winner should win dinner with his or her dealer of choice. and the plane ticket to get there.

:)

how fun would that be - can you imagine a group of josh's security guards pick you up blindfolded at the hotel

take a tour of the light box . . . candelight dinner for 2 on the beach . . oh wait - this is getting to wierd

• 7 months later...
re edited for full view.

Now I have to clean my monitor. :(

Here is my small contribution to this thread... directions for your taxi-driver:

286532-8164.jpg

Be aware though... if you are visiting GZ during the April or October "Canton Fair" seasons, you may not find many reps on view. It varies. Sometimes there are acres of reps... more that you could possibly believe. But last October, there was a police clamp-down and there wasn't a rep in sight.

Great story and nice to read.

The last few years i didn't have the opportunity to visit the Far East.

But some of my friends will go there in the near future.

I will send them a copie of your findings.

Regards,

Cats

• 3 years later...

Sorry for revitalizing a 3-4 year old posting. This is such a great thread. I'm here now in GZ as we speak and I'm taking out a couple of thousand yuan to spend.. I'm still in the noob phase so I can't really detect all the subtle nuiances of the good reps and bad. I have a couple of reps that got shipped at home when I flew out. I'll shoot some photos of what I find. I've been to the mecca 3 days.. just window shopping but I'm gonna make the big purchases tmrw. Man! You start to zone out after a while.. I don't even make eye contact with the vendors anymore.. they are a faceless bunch of people. I just see counters. I saw a real tourbillon that I like. I think it's just a fantasy watch but they are sooo sexy to pass. :)

• 9 months later...

Sorry for revitalizing a 3-4 year old posting. This is such a great thread. I'm here now in GZ as we speak and I'm taking out a couple of thousand yuan to spend.. I'm still in the noob phase so I can't really detect all the subtle nuiances of the good reps and bad. I have a couple of reps that got shipped at home when I flew out. I'll shoot some photos of what I find. I've been to the mecca 3 days.. just window shopping but I'm gonna make the big purchases tmrw. Man! You start to zone out after a while.. I don't even make eye contact with the vendors anymore.. they are a faceless bunch of people. I just see counters. I saw a real tourbillon that I like. I think it's just a fantasy watch but they are sooo sexy to pass. :)

I took will revive this thread. What a good read. I realize it's now 5-6 years out but yeah... neat.