When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Minh

cc33

Wow, CC. That sucks! I had a similar problem a few months ago with a $1000 PN dial. He eventually came through and sent me a better one as promised but it took awhile. I have another one in transit as we speak. Hopefully it comes as advertised. If not, as others have said,PP claim all the way, I held back last time and gave him the benefit of the doubt. I even mailed him back his other crappy dial at my own expense. I'm shocked to be honest especially as it appears you have given him some good business.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure how things work with Minh (this is my first time dealing with him) he asked for half of the cost upfront and the rest once the dial is completed (It's a one-off PN dial). I always assumed I would only send him the rest of the money once I approve a set of QC pictures. Is this not the procedure here? 
For me, I picked a dial. Got the QC, paid. He mailed it. Maybe since yours is a custom, it's different

When dealing with these high-profit aftermarket part sellers, you have to keep in mind that the factories that manufacture the parts do so with little or no QC (usually none). To complicate matters further, the beautifully accurate dial or case you salivated over on their website may have been a factory sample or best-of-run & may not reflect the design of the part you will actually receive. This is because these guys do not make their own parts. Instead, like all replica watch sellers, they buy them from factories or factory agents or, sometimes, from factory catalogs. What this means is that you may purchase a dial or case based on pics from a high-profit seller's website, but the part you receive is something of a crap-shoot. And, as has been said before, the only thing that separates a $1,000+ dial or $1,500 case purchased from a high-profit seller from the parts that make up a $200 replica watch is the price you pay.

I'm so tired of him thinking he's smarter than I am. He sends me an email saying 'what's wrong that's the dial from my site check yourself and compare'.. So I do, and guess what, he removed the dial I ordered and spent a month staring at, and replaced it with the pics of the cheap one. So he thinks ill look and say oh yes that's what I ordered???? I feel like ringing his neck

http://vintagewatchesmq.com/minhquy/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=640&category_id=98&keyword=6538&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

So now the dial I paid for and ordered isn't even on his site anymore!

Edited by cc33

This is really sad news. He seemed like a reasonably nice man when I met him.

I guess when purchasing online and not seeing the goods in the flesh prior, the seller can send anything and hope that this would be accepted by the buyer as CC has mentioned before.

The good thing is that there is no denial and that he is refunding your money. However, it is very frustrating to not receive what you had paid for.

When dealing with these high-profit aftermarket part sellers, you have to keep in mind that the factories that manufacture the parts do so with little or no QC (usually none). To complicate matters further, the beautifully accurate dial or case you salivated over on their website may have been a factory sample or best-of-run & may not reflect the design of the part you will actually receive. This is because these guys do not make their own parts. Instead, like all replica watch sellers, they buy them from factories or factory agents or, sometimes, from factory catalogs. What this means is that you may purchase a dial or case based on pics from a high-profit seller's website, but the part you receive is something of a crap-shoot. And, as has been said before, the only thing that separates a $1,000+ dial or $1,500 case purchased from a high-profit seller from the parts that make up a $200 replica watch is the price you pay.

Freddy, you are absolutely right. I've had two high end cases for builds in the past 6 months, the ming quy case for my 6542 and a phong case for my tudor 7924. both are supposed to be genuine spec. First problem, both of them had the case tube hole drilled crooked. They aren't off much, but with a 1000.00 USD case, you would think they could at least drill a hole correctly! Second on my 6542 case, one of the springbar holes is higher than the other. my watchmaker who is finishing up my Tudor wasn't sure about the construction of the retainer ring/bezel and took the case to a friend who was a Rolex watchmaker at RSC Dallas for 18 years, and now has his own shop for at least 10 years. this guy has probably had thousands of Rolex watches in his hands over the past 28+ years. He looked at the construction and said it was not the same as the old Tudors he had worked on, so what you are saying is true. we are paying out the nose for all this expensive supposedly 1:1 spec. genuine spec stuff, and it's not.I have an MBW cased 1680 as well as a DRSD. My watchmaker has worked on both of them, and he told me tonight that both of them were less of a problem than the expensive cases!!

AFA the Swissdialco dials, there was a writeup about  a 5513 dial on The Rolex Forum from 2010 and they pretty much tore it to bits. I know that those guys don't ever have anything good to say about any aftermarket parts, but I would certainly want to see some really good high resolution photos of a dial before I paid big money for it. Also at one time Ivan was selling dials on Ebay, but don't see any listed now. Also, the Rolex forum thread was from three yars ago, so this guy could be a lot better at what he does now than then.

That's fair! :)

Yes but just to clarify he wants me to send him the two dials back before he does, I put the first one in the oven for fun after he sent the second and told me to keep both. Now he wants them back so before he refunds so I'm not sure what to do, I'm sure ill figure it out. Lesson learned.

I'm so tired of him thinking he's smarter than I am. He sends me an email saying 'what's wrong that's the dial from my site check yourself and compare'.. So I do, and guess what, he removed the dial I ordered and spent a month staring at, and replaced it with the pics of the cheap one. So he thinks ill look and say oh yes that's what I ordered???? I feel like ringing his neck

http://vintagewatchesmq.com/minhquy/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=640&category_id=98&keyword=6538&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

So now the dial I paid for and ordered isn't even on his site anymore!

I have had exactly the same problem (twice) with Phong.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

This makes you wonder! DW's dial's ar far more worth the price!!!

And what a focking clown changing the dial on his webpage!!! I bet that dial (batch) was long ago sold amd this dials that you got was from the new bratch!!!

Naaaa this is a real clown act cc, hope the clown realise what his done and will do it right

This makes you wonder! DW's dial's ar far more worth the price!!!

And what a focking clown changing the dial on his webpage!!! I bet that dial (batch) was long ago sold amd this dials that you got was from the new bratch!!!

Naaaa this is a real clown act cc, hope the clown realise what his done and will do it right

Been to the circus recently Z... ;)

Hope it all works out. It is sometimes a pain to deal with these higher-end sellers. I only had positive experience with Phong, but then again I am only buying Daytona mid-cases. He seems to be quite busy at the moment, projected about 4 weeks for my next case (...or he is out of stock). I hope Minh works out, his PN dials are still the best ones out there and the price reflects this. One of the main selling points for me is the sunken minute track.

Guest gabrielfriman

I have been in his Shop in Vietnam! and this guy is not trusty!  Al they Dials look diffrent! and cases aswell! I dont like him as a person ore watchdealer!

he told me before i came to him true email that he had al parts that i needed geniune!! when i arraived everyting is bad aftermarket ;P

and Vietnam as countrey was relly booring tooo!!!

Badest trip ever!!

I would never recommend his proucts! 

As some of you know I spent 1000$ recently on a Minh dial for 6538. He tried to pull a fast one by sending me a [censored] version of the one ordered and then when confronted said "oh sorry my staff sent you the wrong dial" and proceeded to send me the one I ordered. Well, it was stuck in customs and finally released and delivered this morning. Low and behold he sent me the exact same [censored] dial like the first. I just sent him an email asking for my money back which I doubt I will get but a word of warning for anyone doing a project with him or buying a dial, you probably won't get what you are paying for. I'm so glad that I bought that backup dial from ebay. It has been extremely frustrating to say the least. Minh used to be trustworthy but not anymore.

Thanks for all the support, it helps. I told him I melted the first dial so lets see what happens he will prob say it was a 300$ dial and he will refund 700$ but it was a valuable lesson learned. I will not buy dials from him any more. I will not recommend him anymore and I certainly won't have blind faith in the high end dealers anymore

"...what you are saying is true. we are paying out the nose for all this expensive supposedly 1:1 spec. genuine spec stuff, and it's not. I have an MBW cased 1680 as well as a DRSD. My watchmaker has worked on both of them, and he told me tonight that both of them were less of a problem than the expensive cases!!"

I have exactly one good 'high grade' aftmkt case left that I am happy with...a Phong 1655 case from a couple years ago that I got from another RWG member. Before that I had an early Yuki 1680 case that was fine but I traded it in on the 1655 case. SInce then I have read so many horror stories about the later 'high grade' cases that I have stayed away from them and went with a few DW cases and a couple later MBK cases. The DW cases are Ok for what they cost and need a genspec bezel assembly plus some detailing to make them suitable. The MBK cases look fine and suit me for Eta powered projects although I might modify one a bit to accept a 1570 and dial.

I have had good luck with dials from IG44 and Yuki plus the Phong 1655 dial. Standard white MBK 1680 Eta dials are Ok for me too.

The gist of all my blather is that I have lowered my expectations/standards and decided to be happy with what I have...because I too believe a $1000 'high grade' case is sometimes just a clumsily modified $50 case.