When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

about the rep sellers on eBay

Erict719

just got some thoughts...

I wonder.. People always say that you really couldn't get called out with a tc sub or wm9 franken.

But we always find rep sellers on eBay . lots of time people try selling tc or wm9 on the bay as gen, but every time they got called out. even with a gen insert and crystal .

don't mistake me, I am not one of those sellers, but will a gen dial make them never get called out? and with out rehaut .. It will be exectly same outlook.?

also, on the TRF ... The knowledge that they point out to identified rep are exectly the same as the experts here...

This makes me wonder if they are also members in RWG.

seeing them call rep collector dumb ass over at TRF and being a loyal member on RWG is just funny...

• Like 1

There are quite a few members here that frequent TRF, probably more than you would think   :) 

Gen will always be Gen and Rep always Rep it's the idiots selling the Reps as Gen that don't know ALL the tells   :g: my 2c 

You have to differentiate: getting called out on the streets/office vs getting called out on the web.

It is or would be an rare occasion to run into a Rolex (...) WIS on the streets who then gets into a conversation with you and examines your watch (and call you out).

However on the web there are thousands of watch geeks and probably hundreds of WIS.

And about the franken watches: a franken is a rep with some degree of gen parts. Adding a gen insert to - let's say a TC Sub - makes it better, but it's just a small detail, as well as a gen crystal, it "just" adds some clarity and the correct LEC.

Of course a gen dial is the way to go if you're not on a tight budget. But you still have a rep case and/or rep bracelet.

But there are frankens that you can't recognize as such (from a picture). Like a good franken Datejust; you can get a gen case for under $200 a gen dial for about $100 and a gen Jubilee for $200 sometimes, add an ETA voila. So the exterior is all gen, you would have to open it to realize there is an ETA inside.

And what I noticed is that there are so many guys on gen forum who think they are THE WIS, but know very little. I've seen sooo many frankens posted on TRF and about 20 people congratulated until one person realizes it's fake.

Edited by 1680
  • Like 1

Anyone who would even consider buying a gen off eBay must need their head seen too! & a rep too:)

Yep, I agree. My mate bought a PO from ebay last year, looked a million dollars and we were both convinced it was pukka. Came with box and papers matching the serial number plus a gen leather strap.

He wore it for a year until the crown broke and he took it to goldsmiths who confirmed an asian eta movement was inside. Turns out its an UPO. I was amazed. It goes to show how good some of theses reps are.

I assume... from the TRF post I read , pointing out the rep from the dial marker thickness. I guess that guy is one of us... Honestly I don't believe a total gen guy would notice about this different .

by the way, does anyone got a black sub tc dial vs gen picture or post to show me? Since I jus ordered a tc dial for an upgrade. Makes me wonder if I need a gen dial instead.

1680 is correct. Viewing a good rep (in the real world) on the wrist of someone who fits the bill generally passes without incident. But, when viewed on the web, where the viewer has time to examine with care & without the context of the wearer's overall deportment to sway his impression, a rep/franken is likely to get called-out.

A gen dial in a decent rep case is not likely to cause much havoc, but an aftermarket dial in a gen case usually will.

Fitted with a gen dial, unless the rest is below Canal Street quality, I would have trouble identifying such a watch as anything other than gen. Except where the watch has something on the caseback (like a 1665 or 5514), the dial is, by far, the most important part of a Rolex & the part that I (& most) use as a barometer for authenticity.

LIke Freddy and all the others said, when the watch is on the wrist and far from a 40x zoom lens then it is really hard to get called out, i mean guys over on TRF sometimes miss the IHS on a 16570 or a gmt master.

There was a flame post a few years ago over there where it took the TRF so-called "experts" 10 posts just to notice that the ceramic bezel markings were too grey to be pt brushed and another 5 more or so to finally notice that the watch had the IHS...

WM or TC watches do have their imperfections but still... unless you have a bionic implanted eye with a 10x zoom capability.... or a case opener in hand....well you get it...

although a case opener is the last resort since if you get a rep rolex in your hand and want to test it all you have to do is just try and adjust the hour hand, gen 3035 adjusts to the oposite

side of any asian or eta

My thoughts...

• Like 1

You might have heard it as WHS (Incorrect Hand Stack,Wrong Hand Stack)

Rolex GMT models use the following order to the hand stack:Hour hand-Gmt hand-Minute hand-Seconds (sweeping hand)

Reps use the IHS:Gmt hand-Hour hand-Minute hand-Seconds

Older reps were using the CHS (Correct hand stack) but it was a time bomb due to the unusual positioning of the hour-gmt hand on the 2836-2

• Like 1

It's a whole lot easier to sift out flaws and non gen parts when you can zoom over a photo that is already 2X life size and now you can see the zoomed in at 10X. If you have a genuine dial for comparison next to the rep dial, it's pretty easy to pick out the flaws. looking at a watch on someones wrist is a totally different matter.

...although a case opener is the last resort since if you get a rep rolex in your hand and want to test it all you have to do is just try and adjust the hour hand, gen 3035 adjusts to the oposite

side of any asian or eta...

You mean 3135. :-) A 3035 adjusts the same as an ETA 2836 or 2824 but sets the date backwards like a 2892. The datewheel advances CCW though so that's the tell anything with a 3035.

You might have heard it as WHS (Incorrect Hand Stack,Wrong Hand Stack)

Rolex GMT models use the following order to the hand stack:Hour hand-Gmt hand-Minute hand-Seconds (sweeping hand)

Reps use the IHS:Gmt hand-Hour hand-Minute hand-Seconds

Older reps were using the CHS (Correct hand stack) but it was a time bomb due to the unusual positioning of the hour-gmt hand on the 2836-2

Thanks for that my friend, really appreciated :)

Erict, if you're so afraid of getting called out perhaps you should buy a gen. Before you realize it you will have half (or more) of the gen's value invested into your rep and you still won't be satisfied. Otherwise, wear your rep for what it is and enjoy it.

Also, try the search feature! You've been posting a lot of threads asking the same questions over and over and having a been a n00b here once too (not that long ago either) and I truly attest to the wealth of knowledge that is stored up in the archives here. I went from a n00b with a canal st rep to a builder of high-value superfrankens worth several thousand dollars just using info I dug up by searching here. It's a fun game and welcome to the dark side!

There are quite a few members here that frequent TRF, probably more than you would think   :)

I wouldn't know anything about that ... *cough* 

If you want to get a rep for yourself and wear it knowing fully well what you have, I don't care.  Trying to rip off a buyer is a completely different matter, and I take a dim view of that  :angry2:

Lol! no I am not thinking about getting call out myself honestly.

I was just saying how those people sell rep on the bay, but if they do that , why not put a little money and put a gen dial. And just want to see if they really put a gen dial , will they success in their sale.

since its very danger for buyers online.

Exactly. When someone asks me "Is that a Rolex?" I say "Yes." When asked if it's a REAL Rolex I laugh and say "mostly!" Most people who know me well enough to inquire into the genuineness of my watches know I'm a BMW tech so when I explain that I've taken up "rebuilding watches from parts I find on ebay" no one questions a thing. Again though, it's all about fitting the image.