When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5ATM good enough for swim?

Erict719

if all the seals are greased, the crystal is sat right in the gasket and crown o-rings are present and screw down tight you should be ok...if 50m (5atm) is the most the machine could go and it passed fine it would probably go higher on another machine that could test higher. my old seawolf rep went to 100m on a tester and that was straight from the factory...

i normally go by the rule 50m (5atm)-ok for washing hands, out in the rain etc, 100m (10atm) bathing, shower, swimming pool etc and 200m (20atm)+ swimming/snorkelling, shallow diving etc

anything over that can handle anything.

if you wanna go swimming with a watch, why not just get a seiko skx007/009...they come in black (007) or blue (009) and are iso rated to 200m to be called a true divers watch, they have outstanding lume, look superb...and all for $195...keep your rep then for when you leave the pool :)

It also depends on which rep you're talking about. I have gone on 50+ foot dives with a Noobmariner, SSD, and the 16800 Franken in built last year. The less gasket area the watch has, the less chances of a leak. After a nice seal of the HEV(not really necessary, but doesnt hurt) a good and well gasketted and lubed SSD can definitely go deep. If its' a chronograph, I say keep it dry. If it's a dive watch, grease it, and go deep.

Edited by Ephry73

I took my new (Joshua) Pam177 into a little watch repair shop last week. They had one of those little glass dome machines, 30 seconds later it failed. The guy tried it again on another setting? And it failed again. The watch looks perfect and everything is tight but it failed. I don't know how reliable those little machines are but until I can get it serviced and greased up it won't be going near water.

If it passes 3ATM you are good to swim, no problem at all. Do not use this for serious diving. The depth numbers people have been quoting in this thread are from professional diving safety charts for watches. You can safely ignore all that crap. It's written by lawyers. It's not meant for you.

Wm9 should be ok. Make sure that your case back gasket is fresh and lubed. The crown oring is also important to be both fresh, as well as well lubed. That with the outer oring of the tube is your first line of defense. 5atm is not bad brother. Just no diving boards or hot tubs. Hot tubs are bad for seals.

If it passes 3ATM you are good to swim, no problem at all. Do not use this for serious diving. The depth numbers people have been quoting in this thread are from professional diving safety charts for watches. You can safely ignore all that crap. It's written by lawyers. It's not meant for you.

lol! This is a good and funny point man.

Although just for lawyers it does have an a bit of common sence as we are not talking about pure depth when talking about water resistance as that only deals with static pressure but when swimming we have to think about the dynamic pressures the watch will experience <br />For example if you slowly get in the pool and sink 10 m then you will experience 10m of pressure <br />But even as you swim on the surface and drag the watch through the water with every stroke you could exceed 10m of pressure depending on how you swim just think of the difference de between a gentle breast stroke and a fast front crawl

Although just for lawyers it does have an a bit of common sence as we are not talking about pure depth when talking about water resistance as that only deals with static pressure but when swimming we have to think about the dynamic pressures the watch will experience <br />For example if you slowly get in the pool and sink 10 m then you will experience 10m of pressure <br />But even as you swim on the surface and drag the watch through the water with every stroke you could exceed 10m of pressure depending on how you swim just think of the difference de between a gentle breast stroke and a fast front crawl

The "dynamic pressure" thing is highly exaggerated.  At most, you're adding 2m worth.  You aren't physically capable of moving your arm fast enough to cause a problem.

As I was asking before.

the watch smith didn't directly grease the crown o ring. He grease the steam. Is that correctly done

No not really every seal should be removed cleaned and greased reinstalled and then checked

The only one that I would not remove unless a problem is suspected is the crystal seal as they are hard to get to fit reps some times but on a gen during a service that should also be replaced