When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Moving my collection back to the UK - How Best to do it?

sgtguk

Just reading through some threads on the other boards re this, I'm going to be moving back to the UK later this year from Oz, my collection is a little over 20 watches with a mix of 50:50 Gens/reps. Tbh I am in the middle of making up a carry on case today and the wife pipes in a comment about customs, bringing me here to ask your advice! 

Reading the threads it seems checked in baggage is a better option than carry on but it scares the crap out of me putting that much faith in the system not to have my collection lifted by someone! 

Has anyone moved to Uk or flown in with that many pieces at the same time with carry on? I've paid the Gst on the gens this end already so I'm hoping Vat won't be an issue but people like us do move our collections so they must be covered somewhere by customs guidelines I would assume?

Any thoughts/experience would be greatly appreciated guys cheers....... :) 

Hi sgt, there was a big thread on this on rwi recently, also one on here I think. I'll dig em up if I see the threads.... Always a bit concerning, moving hard to find watches between countries. Personally I haven't done it but would also be wary about leaving large amounts in checked luggage, too many quick fingered guys in the system. Maybe best to spread it out, post a few before leaving, wear one, missus wear another, :) a couple then in each carry on, then others in checked luggage and maybe have friends or relatives over in Oz post the last few on later. I'm sure many have done it and would have more precise info.

You moving back to the crazy weather in the UK, that's even more frightening ;)

Hi stg, there was a big thread on this on rwi recently, also one on here I think. I'll dig em up if I see the threads.... Always a bit concerning, moving hard to find watches between countries. Personally I haven't done it but would also be wary about leaving large amounts in checked luggage, too many quick fingered guys in the system. Maybe best to spread it out, post a few before leaving, wear one, missus wear another, :) a couple then in each carry on, then others in checked luggage and maybe have friends or relatives over in Oz post the last few on later. I'm sure many have done it and would have more precise info.

You moving back to the crazy weather in the UK, that's even more frightening ;)

I know must be mad  :)  certainly not moving back for the weather mate ! I have read a few threads on the other boards but no one really able to clarify properly, just hope someone has done it with the amount I have and share the experience with me! Thanks for the advice mate  ;)

Checked in luggage, make sure they're well protected. It's not illegal to own counterfeit goods in UK (I think).

Masmannan

Pretty sure its not but just a worry that I'll get charged duty of some sort for bringing them in  :)

Well, this is a good question. I've got no idea :g:

It's not one that comes up very often mate is it ;)  let's see what the guys come up with ! 

I have experience in this, and can confirm, checked in luggage you will be fine, just make sure you really pack them well, and spaced around deep inside your case.

Cheers mate exactly what I needed to hear  :)

I would not check-in the watches. I would carry on 3-4 each between you and your wife. You have kids, carry on more. Assuming you each have 2 on the wrist, put the extra 2 in her purse and your extra 2 in your carry-on. So, that's 8 on your person. The gens, for sure.

For the balance, I would ship them. Are you shipping furniture or other big items? If yes, just stuff them in there. If not,FedEx.

You will be liable for import tax into the EU, if you get caught and for Carry on they will be seen as all Cary on will be X-ray also if you and partner are all carrying 4 watches a piece then if I was customs I would be suspicious, the reps I would send with any furniture you may be shipping, the most expensive of the gens I would wear, the next most expensive would be carry on and the rest in checked luggage, if you get stopped on the way in by customs and find all the gens then as I say you may well be liable for import duty to the EU

• Like 1

Freddy has the best idea of all, get in touch with UK customs and ask them, there may be some paperwork that you need to fill out and listing the watches, serial numbers, date purchased, where purchased and the price. If you have proof that you paid the VAT in either Australia or the UK, that would be helpful. I'm sure there is a method, the guys who travel all over the world to the high end watch shows, carry way more than 50 when they travel, so they have a method of moving them from country to country without paying taxes every time they enter another country.

Don't try to sneak them through, you could wear one and your wife one, but if you have 4-5 in a checked bag and she has 4-5 in her checked bag, plus the ones on your wrist, I guarantee there are going to be some questions asked, then you are at a disadvantage unless you have all the proper paperwork.

Contrary to what others have said, I would NOT put anything of value in checked baggage. Checked baggage is unattended, and it is XRayed as well, so the thieves in any airport have access to your baggage, and have seen the contents. Don't think that your little TSA approved lock will work either, every crooked baggage handler has a key!!

Do it correctly, do the paperwork, and then carry them with you as carry on baggage in a nice watch case. you will be a lot happier knowing that they are safe with you.

Thanks Guys  :)

I think I'm going to contact UK Customs as freddy has suggested to see exactly where I stand bringing them in as possessions, I agree with the risks in checked baggage so I'd much rather have them with me in carry on. Last night I made up a carry on case with my old laptop bag and some hd foam, came out ok with room for quite a few so hope that will work out.

I'll update when I hear from them guys :)   

If you paid the tax on them in Austrailia you will have to pay the import tax when you import them as private possessions into the UK, simple as that if you declare them.

I really hope not mate  :bangin:

Its not just the case it is the law. If you declare them!!!

now if you were on a return ticket and were just coming fr a GTG or trade show then that would be different

I travel a lot and need a Carnet for some of the things i travel with so that we can fly in and out of the EU with out tax problems.

There's no way would I put them in checked hold baggage, a very good chance they'll vanish.

Ask customs or another option is to post them to one of us here in the UK and have them marked as "repair returns" with a fake invoice from a watch repair place where you currently live. (Printed with a decent looking letterhead!)

One of our valued members here has kindly offered his services already in that respect which I really appreciate  :)  may end up being a mix of the solutions offered up so far! Cheers guys