When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken criteria

ghost

I know this has been done to death, but really. I wish we could agree on calling the watch a franken if it has a gen dial or movement.

Having a gen crown/tube or crystal and calling it a franken is like a putting lipstick on a pig and calling it a girl.

nothing personal against the folks who're currently listing their "frankens" for sale, but i just feel so cheated when i click on a post only to find the so-called franken has nothing more than a gen crown/tube.

• Like 1

I've got one that I would call Franken, it is gen everything with a redialed dial and eta mvmnt. Personally, I think case, bracelet, crystal etc are more important that the rest. Particularly on Rolex watches. Most of the aftermarket cases are iffy at best. I would prefer a gen case with dial all day long vs an aftermarket case with gen dial. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, that are all "fake" to one degree or another unless made of 100% gen parts.

And while we're on the subject... WTF is a Super Franken?!

Same as a hyper franken or ultra franken. It seems like in most cases it's one that has a gen crown and tube plus one other gen part, such as gen crystal.

To me a franken is a watch that has a preponderance of genuine parts and is indistinguishable from genuiine to most knowledgeable WIS. I personally wish all sales threads using the words super, ultra, or hyper franken would be deleted immediately by the mods.

• Like 2

I have a collection of RARE super-ultra-ultimate-fantastic-supreme franken watches.  If you all want a lesson on how to build some RARE super-ultra-ultimate-fantastic-supreme franken watches I can coordinate with a local arts and crafts store in your area and teach.  Please just understand that you will need to bring your own craftsman tool kit as these will not be provided during the learning workshops.  

Coming to a town near you...

1-800-GEN-WATCH (ext. BUILDS) 

Oh, I can't believe you guys have been on this forum all these years and not figured out the "code language" of the rep world for sale section. Let me help you out:

Franken = two possible meanings 1) my Uncle Frank has held this watch (gooder English would indicate, "Frank and watch". It's just shorthand really 2) one genuine screw (must be careful, shady sellers use this when only meaning, "wore the watch while making nookie with the wife")

Super Franken = 1) my favorite uncle Frank has held this watch, or 2) two gen screws (same caveats as above apply)

Genstein = 1) I can't for the life of me recall that cool word they use to jack up the price of a watch but this sounds good 2) will be accompanied by an authentic German beer mug or 3) three genuine screws.

A fourth screw if possible, but only if you pay full asking price).

Here's the way I see it...

Opinion...

A genuine 16200 case/bracelet/crown/crystal with genuine dial and 3135 date wheel (genuine or high quality replica dw) with swissEta 2836 would more than likely qualify as a Frankenstein because it has a lot of genuine parts and will pass for genuine...but it is only worth the sum of the parts, maybe a little more, and the dial is not worth much if the feet have been removed.

Same watch with replica bracelet may not qualify as a Frankenstein because of not enough 'genuine stuff'. If it had a genuine strap and buckle it might be back to Frankenstein status but worth less $$ than with a genuine bracelet. I figure a watch like this is worth at least the sum of the parts.

Same watch with a replica case/crystal/bracelet, genuine crown and dial...not a Frankenstein and worth what the parts will sell for.

A 5513 with Yuki, Phong, MBK etc case, rolex 1520/30/60, Yuki Phong etc dial, genuine crown and high quality replica bracelet...it's a Frankenstein because of the movement and high quality case/dial and may be worth a little more than the sum of the parts.

Same watch with the same parts except an Eta 2846...not a Frankenstein, just a high grade replica worth the sum of the parts more or less.

Example...

I have a DW 5513 case with Clark's bezel kit/crystal, Yuki dial/hands, TC tube/crown, rolex 1520, pretty good replica bracelet...not a Frankenstein because the case is not close enough to genuine and the only genuine part is the movement. It is just a replica with a genuine movement, worth the sum of the parts...

case...$159

bezel kit...$52

crystal...$19

dial/hands...$104

tube/crown...$25

bracelet...$50

springbars, gaskets etc...$20

26j 1520 hack movement (inc c/o and m sprg)...$1000

labor...about $250 (very hard to recover on a finished watch)

So, it would cost around $1500 to put together but a watch like this is very hard to sell. It would probably be better to stick an Eta 2846 in it and drop the price to $400 or so.

Probably still be hard to get $400 so I might have to call it a 'Frankenstein!' to sell it.

Imho...

It boils down to the definition of 'Frankenstein' being a judgment call. The more genuine and high quality stuff in the watch...the closer it comes to being a 'Genuine Frankenstein'.

Reality...

Most of the time the term 'Frankenstein' is used in order to boost the selling price.

Franken doesn't mean anything definite, it's different to different people.

Ok, there's obviously a kind of accepted meaning among you old timers :D but whatever that was has been diluted.

I just completely ignore it and just see if I like the watch or not.

For me, franken is a mismatch of gen and aftermarket parts. I do think value is added the rarer the gen part is.

For example, I listed a 16800 watch several months ago as a hybrid/franken based on a combination of gen and gen replacement parts with aftermarket(asian) parts

I have been calling my 16610 a franken, although some may call it über Franken because it has:

gen dial

gen hands

gen crystal

gen gaskets(all of them)

gen tube/crown

gen date wheel

gen clasp

All running on a fully serviced y3135 which has gen stem and date jumper. The case is an ST sterile case, which I hope to engrave soon if I keep the watch.

Now, my 7032 is a true hybrid(not as much as a franken) as it does have a gen valjoux movement(but not gen as being one previously installed on a genuine 7032 per say. Although to make it gen one could change the bridge and install a true genuine date disc) gen pushers and crown(not tube) and a few high end parts that are not genuine. I guess the source for the use of the word genuine should / could be revisited.

I would not call my 5514 a franken as it only has a gen 702 crown and tube and a gen eta movement. The gen eta movement was not NOE to the watch so it is pointless. Although the case has a gen like HEV system and it has a gen bezel construction and plexi, etc...

Same as a hyper franken or ultra franken. It seems like in most cases it's one that has a gen crown and tube plus one other gen part, such as gen crystal.

To me a franken is a watch that has a preponderance of genuine parts and is indistinguishable from genuiine to most knowledgeable WIS. I personally wish all sales threads using the words super, ultra, or hyper franken would be deleted immediately by the mods.

It's like you were reading my mind! Cause that's exactly what I was getting at  :)

• Like 1

I believe that fraggle is correct, it' different things to different folks, but in the end, it's up to the individual to determine what is and what isn't. In reality, there are only two descriptors that are accurate, genuine or rep. If it's not all genuine, then to me it's a rep. Now there are certainly some reps that are much higher grade than others. A watch that has an upgrade case, gen dial, hands,insert, crystal , crown/tube, springbars and bracelet is certainly more desirable than a bone stock rep of the same model. But in the end, it's still a rep.

I find it pretty amusing to see some of the descriptions used to describe watches, especially sale watches. Obviously, the terminology, franken, superfranken,etc. are used pretty loosely. But in the end it's up to me, if I'm a potential buyer, to decide if the watch actually fits any of the criteria that we generally use for a highly modded watch.

• Like 1

So r we suggesting categories of Frankens?

Mini frank - 1 gen part like crown/tube

Mild frank - 2 gen parts

Just Frank - 3 gen parts

Frank plus - 4 gen parts (with Swiss mvmt)

Super frank - 5 gen parts

Ultra frank - all possible gen parts avail except case?

• Like 1

So r we suggesting categories of Frankens?

Mini frank - 1 gen part like crown/tube

Mild frank - 2 gen parts

Just Frank - 3 gen parts

Frank plus - 4 gen parts (with Swiss mvmt)

Super frank - 5 gen parts

Ultra frank - all possible gen parts avail except case?

Should we add half steps between those?  Maybe to highlight parts that are on hand but not installed? Haha, I kid.  It would be kind of nice to have a Franken Richter Scale to measure the intensity of the frankens posted in the sales forum.