When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Was The Watch That First Caught Your Attention?

crystalcranium

Watch that started my obsession was a buddies gen Breitling Montbrilliant. Shortly after I bought a gen 18k/SS Breitling Cosmonaute. It's been all downhill since......

For me, it was a gold Pulsar digital in the 70s. However, since then, it was a SS Daytona that got me into reps. Yes, I know, I've still not got one.

Casio Databank 157737-13223.gif I was probably 13 or 14... had lots of watches before, but just basic digital ones... this one was uber cool what with the keyboard, phonebook etc...

The first non digital watch I liked was a Citizen Chronograph... I still like it a lot... 157737-13224.jpg

Edited by Devedander

SS black dial Daytona. El Primero vintage (not unlike the frankenUbiTona). My dad used to make a bit of pocket money getting on the AD list for them in the UK and then selling them to footballers and other posers in Italy.

I would get to wear them for a few seconds before they were passed to their new owners....

i remember doing window shopping since i was a little boy (maybe 7 years old)...my attention was towards digital watches...more functions it had...more attractive it was...got my first mech watch at the age of 10-12 years...my dad had his Patek and i got it at the age of 18...today have 27 years...and around 20 watches...and keep on collecting...these days I do not look anymore at digi watches...considering just mech ones... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Towards reps it was a girl... and it was the ubiquitous RlX ... I realised soon after that people rarely look at or notice what watch I wear and moved away from that brand to others I like, such as Omega, Breitling, AP, Panerai, IWC etc and the obsession continues apace. I still don't have that girl, but a whole stack of watches that have emptied my bank account of all my 2 year's worth of savings :black_eye:

First. Grandfather's Gold Railroad pocket watch..... Never owned it,..but it fascinated me..

2. Bulova automatic,.. from a pawn shop when about 11,... kept it until I gave it to my first girlfriend..at 14

3. Citizen Blue Green face date 1977... Loved the color of that face...

4. Seiko Digital, Gold,.. had it for years.

5. Citizen Diver,.. used it through my Navy Seal days..

From then a progression of Milguass, Seamaster ect....

Then Reps caught my attention and the rest is history.. as they say... ^_^

44 years ago i had my first watch. it didn't start any kind of collection, but i still have it.

(working condition, see pic)

A "Gold" Chinese 40$ RLX Sub was the beginning of my addiction.

Then i bought a Sub ETA 2836-2, a TT Navitimer 28800 and waiting for the Omega Chrono which

is almost 3 weeks in custom hold.

I don't count on it anymore.... :unsure:

post-3536-1164829601_thumb.jpg

Without really realizing it, I've been wearing some kind of watch since I was about 4 or 5. It was a Mickey Mouse watch with a red plastic strap. For my first communion I received a very slim Seiko of some kind, but didn't wear it too regularly. Since then I have had all type of wacky watches...digital Armitrons, Casio Data Banks, a ton of Fossils, Pulsars, Lotuses, Russian mechanical pieces that I still regularly wear...everything. I know instantly when I forget to wear one because I almost feel naked witout one. I've maybe forgotten to wear a watch 3 times in the last 15 years.

The first watch I truly coveted was the Rolex Submariner. I promised myself one day I would buy one, I always thought it looked fantastic as either a sporty or dressy piece. Now I've been reading that Rolex has increased the prices of their watches effective 10/2006, so with a Submariner Date costing $5k now, the Submariner no longer seems desireable to me.

THANKS TTK! LOL

But ever since then, I've taken a much different approach in appreciating, understanding and liking watches. For the price, I'd like to pick up a gen Omega Seamaster (chronograph or regular, that is my dilema), but the Submariner is the watch that started it all.

The SMP Chrono was my holy grail. I saw it on a billboard advertisement 10 years ago, fell in love, and had to have one. Got it for my anniversary last year.