When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Many Of You Have Actually Worked On Your Watches?

crystalcranium

Great!!!! I love the fact that not all of us here are hard core but love watches none the less!

I guess I should have included springbar work and bracelet modification on the list somewhere. How about #2.5 :)

ok than 2.5.. but did i really create wealth or just value?? :D:D:D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say in the 5.5 region. I don't do case mods other that refinishing, that is just not my thing. Of course I have no fear of doing this work, just haven't had a good reason. I have been buying some vintage watches and stripping them down, cleaning and rebuilding them. I can service my on movements except the chronographs so far. The problem is even though I can do alot of the work that The Zigmeister can do, I have nowhere near his skills so even though I put down 5.5 I don't real think that show the great divide between my skills and The Zigmeisters, but given the scale I don't know where else to rate myself. For those considering the work, if you are at all mechanically inclined, it is not that difficult. Start of with manual movements and work your way up.

I'm a# 1. I pay extra for service and hope it will last. I will take care of the outside of the watch and change a band but that's it. I have about 20 watches so no watch sees alot of wrist time and 10 of them are on a winder. I will send the watch to one of you guys if one goes down.

I'm a 4-1/2 to 5. Thanks to RWG, I've learned to do cg mods, lug hole drilling, tubes and crowns, but I'm still on the learning curve. Next is on to TZ school level 1 thanks to the RWG lottery, but I'm afraid I'm flunking Photograhy 101 at this point in time! Also, my watchmaker is great and lets me watch him do stuff and I've learned alot from him.

I'm a definite #4. I wish I knew more and had the time to learn. I've trashed a few movements getting to the point where I am now. I did the classic press the stem release button too hard on an ETA 2824 a while ago and stripped the movement quite a way to reset the little retainer. Fiddly operation but well pleased when I got it all back together again and it worked.

Tried to change the date wheel on a vintage ETA and as soon as I lifted the wheel a couple of springy bits flew out. Had to bin that one :(

Cheepo

Probably 5.5, I service all my movements myself apart from the chronographs (they separate the men from the boys! :p ) and have done most case mods but would never consider myself anywhere near the level of The Zigmeister.

I love ripping in and having a go.... bloody hell I will try anything three times :unsure: