When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HELP ! Have I runined a perfect gen dial ?

clem2192

Guys I'm looking for a bit of advice, I am was trying to sell a gen "SWISS" only dial...however, to my horror :shock: yesterday (when a potential buyer requested additional pics) I took the dial out of the watch box and packaging to notice I have somehow managed to damage the dial.

The white painted indicies have been rubbed off on one side, I can only assume where I was careless the last time......

Is this salvageable or have I ruined a perfect dial ?

Any help would be much appreciated !! :cry2:

P1000578_zps4d0854fb.jpg

P1000575_zps9bfe766c.jpg

R

Ah.  Certain bubblewrap can outgas and cause plasticizer migration.  It will react with the paint and. well, you see the results.  Does the lacquer have any ghosting patterns when seen from a certain angle?

I'd show the dial over at VRF.  There are a couple well respected refinishers over there thay may help you out.

Ah.  Certain bubblewrap can outgas and cause plasticizer migration.  It will react with the paint and. well, you see the results.  Does the lacquer have any ghosting patterns when seen from a certain angle?

I'd show the dial over at VRF.  There are a couple well respected refinishers over there thay may help you out.

No, no damage to he lacquer at all, just the painted indices ?? :(

I may well do that and see what they suggest.

R

Damn. That's a shame. I would buy a few empty dial cases, they worth the few bucks they cost and will surely help avoid issues like these when u need to purchase a dial separate from its shell.

Good luck man, let us know if you get it re-printed or successfully take the rest of the indices out.

I was going to say Michael Young could probably fix it, but, I fear that the costs involved in restoring the dial, would not be recouped if the dial was intended to be re-sold :g: I would suggest asking Michael if he could convert/refinish the dial as a 16800 dial and then make a project of it, but I would give up any plans to sell the dial with the hopes of getting a good price... :pardon: I'm sure Michael can help you though :good::drinks: