When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Post A New Release Poll & Win A Free Watch..

Richard Tracy

Okay, I have the way to make this work....

Before,.. the threads would spin out of control to where they were

too long for most to take the time to read them, therefore the

information was lost on many.

Here is a better way.

Every Paid Member who thinks they know a watch which will become a

best seller, will post the photo in their own poll thread, and let everyone know

why they should vote for it.

Sell it to us,.. Convince us.

a. The Top Three watches will all win the a Free Current Release from Jay.

b. Winner of Jay's choice will also receive the first replicated watch in a box set.

c. Jay may also reproduce choices #2 and #3 later which means that 2nd and 3rd

runner up will also win their box sets as well.

You will also be forever known as the father of a replica... :1a:

Rules are as follows;

1. You must be a Rwg supporter to Submit a choice:

2. Your submission must be a watch that is a close to an all

occasion as possible.

A watch which can be worn from sports, to dinner to the office.

Size range of 38 to 42mm max.

3. Movements are eta-2836/2824/2892/6497/7750

Which means no strange complications, as alarms ect...

If you need help, please inquire in a post to the experts.

4. It must be a watch which has never been replicated before.

No improvements on current watches will be considered, this time around,

so pleeese.. let's not go there.

All Polls Threads must Say in the Topic Title : My Replica Submission

You can submit as many watches as you can find including the Sea Hawk. :black_eye:

Contest will close on January 2nd 2007....

Any questions,.. please post them now.. -_-

One question, does this mean we are soon to be swamped in polls?

Ken :huh:

I doubt it,... first of all you have to be a paid member,.. and 2nd most people

are too lazy or busy to post even a word... let alone a poll...

Besides these polls will be quick & easy...Either you like the watch.. or you don't....

and of great interest and benefit...

Not one of those good for nothing polls...

Of course if this is against board policy..or you think it will

use up too much bandwidth.. just say the word... :)

I think this is an interesting idea, but i wonder if the polls will get enough 'air time' so to speak (dropping off the main page and what not) for everyone to see ALL the polls and make a vote.

Maybe for the purposes of this we should ask to have a temporary sub forum (with a link at the top of the main discussion forum) JUST for the replica submission polls.

just my .02

Part of the reason the response has not been stronger is that (and this is odd I admit) we are starting to actually run out of really great watches that CAN be copied but have not already been. Sure, there are lots of various varrieties of APs or IWCs that we have not seen but we HAVE seen very copies very close to those varriations. We could copy some really nice DRESS watches but in general they have much more limited appeal and the fit and finish are more important on those than any other watch (making copying them even harder). Most of the really popular brands are so widely copies that there is just not much left to choose from (Rolex, Omega, Panerai). I mean would it REALLY excite anyone to get a slightly different panerai model for example? The fact that a freaking Sea Hawk (which is nice yes, but hardly all that exciting) is the current number one choice is a bit telling.

I love the idea and admire and respect the work going into this. I really hope it can be pulled off but with Angus dropping killer copies seamingly every other day I think it is stealing soem of the thunder and leaving slim pickings.

Or maybe not, just a thought.

Edited by tvt

Part of the reason the response has not been stronger is that (and this is odd I admit) we are starting to actually run out of really great watches that CAN be copied but have not already been. Sure, there are lots of various varrieties of APs or IWCs that we have not seen but we HAVE seen very copies very close to those varriations. We could copy some really nice DRESS watches but in general they have much more limited appeal and the fit and finish are more important on those than any other watch (making copying them even harder). Most of the really popular brands are so widely copies that there is just not much left to choose from (Rolex, Omega, Panerai). I mean would it REALLY excite anyone to get a slightly different panerai model for example? The fact that a freaking Sea Hawk (which is nice yes, but hardly all that exciting) is the current number one choice is a bit telling.

I love the idea and admire and respect the work going into this. I really hope it can be pulled off but with Angus dropping killer copies seamingly every other day I think it is stealing soem of the thunder and leaving slim pickings.

Or maybe not, just a thought.

Thanks much for the positive input Tvt.... ^_^

I agree with you about the Sea Hawk...

I do want to say however, with all due respect to Angus, knowing that his customer

base is solid and, loyal,.. that, price-wise, he cannot compete with any release that

Jay could put out.

This is a fact with smaller dealers,.. they just don't have the buying power.

You may pay twice as much, for the same watch that I could get for you here in a group buy....

With regards to finding a new popular model.. you may be right.. but then, we have such

genius here with wonderful eyes for potential that I'm sure that we will find something... ;)

Ok - i think this is EXTREMELY creative

one thing - hwat if people post the same watch - is it the most votes that wins? or the combo of votes?

I recomend that the first person to start the thread with photo, including variations shall have "Dibbs' on that model

easy to keep score because we all know who when starts the thread

Ok - i think this is EXTREMELY creative

one thing - hwat if people post the same watch - is it the most votes that wins? or the combo of votes?

I recomend that the first person to start the thread with photo, including variations shall have "Dibbs' on that model

easy to keep score because we all know who when starts the thread

Thanks for the kind words ! ^_^

There.. you figured it out... first to post a watch,.. owns it.

RT, I just not sure why it must be a watch that has never been replicated.

As tvt mentioned, there are many terrific watches available at this time however, the few models that would be in nearly universal demand (now and in the future), are far from perfect. This is the reason many of us insist on modifying what is available to work with. In addition, some of the better base platforms are no longer available. These models would include the Seamaster, Submariner & Sea-Dweller. The Sea-Dweller for example, has never been truly replicated.....sure, there are look a like models available but even the best has been a weak representation of the original.

In my view, this is a fantastic opportunity to have an super rep and in that context, I would suggest that additional options be considered in the selction process. The opportunity to create a very accurate representation of the original should be reserved for a classic and timeless watch that would insure commercial sucess.

Many thanks for all your efforts. The thought of an actual 1:1 creation with some sort of quality control is something that should get quite a few of us excited. :)

RT:

I agree that your poll idea is strong and jay is being very generous to offer to donate prizes of sorts to the winning idea... all very good ideas and creative and kind. I worry however that you may be getting into a"too many chefs" situation. I have seen numerous similar attempts to create group watches or petition a dealer to create a watch or various group buys and so on and more often then not (much more often) they collapse at some point. Sometimes people are not burned and other times they have been. Hell, 5 years ago or so back on RWCC I tried to organize a group buy and had nothing but honorable and good intentions... of course things did not go as smoothly as I would have liked. While no one was screwed in the end it turned into a harrowing experience.

My point? I think at some point you may have to just make some executive decisions and force the thing to happen. Any great idea needs a leader to really support it, too many polls and group decisions rarely lead to things actually getting done.

I really hope it can be pulled off because it would be unpresedented and open up a whole new world... but it is not a walk in the park I am sure.

Also, while frankl;y the last thing I would want to see is say yet another go at a Seamaster or something similarly dull I do think Jetsons makes some good points for Jay's sake. I am assuming that jay will need to sell many more than what just this board could order in order to make it worth his while. He would have an easy time selling something like a perfect Rolex whatever as opposed to a perfect Sea Hawk or similar such oddity. Members here may snap those up but outside of this board I bet "normal" folks would scratch there head and say "huh?".

See what I am saying... too many opinions, even if all are well intentioned...

RT, I just not sure why it must be a watch that has never been replicated.

As tvt mentioned, there are many terrific watches available at this time however, the few models that would be in nearly universal demand (now and in the future), are far from perfect. This is the reason many of us insist on modifying what is available to work with. In addition, some of the better base platforms are no longer available. These models would include the Seamaster, Submariner & Sea-Dweller. The Sea-Dweller for example, has never been truly replicated.....sure, there are look a like models available but even the best has been a weak representation of the original.

In my view, this is a fantastic opportunity to have an super rep and in that context, I would suggest that additional options be considered in the selction process. The opportunity to create a very accurate representation of the original should be reserved for a classic and timeless watch that would insure commercial sucess.

Many thanks for all your efforts. The thought of an actual 1:1 creation with some sort of quality control is something that should get quite a few of us excited. :)

Hi,

Thanks for the thoughtful post....

In answer I must that that these are Jay's rules...

If I were forced to answer for him why... I could only point to mbw, who

is about as elusive as a dealer can be, because mbw goes further than other

dealer dares in accuracy, but mbw too leaves portions of the watch to be modded

by the new owner.

Jay is an open dealer with a few websites,... thus is vulnerable to problems....

and what you are asking of him is to open his vest and close his eyes....

If however a new watch was quickly released, I believe it would give Jay a period

of safety...

Only my guesses,..feel free to chime in....

Hi, RT:

Thanks for the explanation. That clears things up a bit. :)

In this case, my suggestion would be look toward classic models that have been out of production for some time. They will not be available at your local jewelry store, but they can be sourced with a bit of patience.

The Tudor line for example, is no longer owned by big brother and the current Tudor offerings are not considered to be what they once were. However, the vintage Tudor Submariner series are in very high demand by collectors and are considerably lower in profile that its more famous previous owner. The Seamster 300 discussed in the previous thread would be another terrifc option.

I am not sure how open Jay & Angel would be to the creation of classic vintage pieces but it would have its advantages......first and foremost, the possibilty of commercial sucess is there plus they will remain low on the radar of OEM manufacturers.

Another option would be to have J&A generate a list of what they feel comfortable producing and we could vote on those selections. This process would narrow our choices but it would achieve results. I believe they have our attention given the number of views and replies on the two prior threads on this subject. :)

RT:

I agree that your poll idea is strong and jay is being very generous to offer to donate prizes of sorts to the winning idea... all very good ideas and creative and kind. I worry however that you may be getting into a"too many chefs" situation. I have seen numerous similar attempts to create group watches or petition a dealer to create a watch or various group buys and so on and more often then not (much more often) they collapse at some point. Sometimes people are not burned and other times they have been. Hell, 5 years ago or so back on RWCC I tried to organize a group buy and had nothing but honorable and good intentions... of course things did not go as smoothly as I would have liked. While no one was screwed in the end it turned into a harrowing experience.

My point? I think at some point you may have to just make some executive decisions and force the thing to happen. Any great idea needs a leader to really support it, too many polls and group decisions rarely lead to things actually getting done.

I really hope it can be pulled off because it would be unpresedented and open up a whole new world... but it is not a walk in the park I am sure.

Also, while frankl;y the last thing I would want to see is say yet another go at a Seamaster or something similarly dull I do think Jetsons makes some good points for Jay's sake. I am assuming that jay will need to sell many more than what just this board could order in order to make it worth his while. He would have an easy time selling something like a perfect Rolex whatever as opposed to a perfect Sea Hawk or similar such oddity. Members here may snap those up but outside of this board I bet "normal" folks would scratch there head and say "huh?".

See what I am saying... too many opinions, even if all are well intentioned...

You may be right in most of what you say....

As for group buys.. I think I have that down now... ;)

I will most definately think about your words.... while at the same time

keeping my optimistic frame of mind....

Hey Jetsons....

I would love to see a vintage watch made,.. however we would need a gen to model...

and I think we will have place the vintage idea as the second or third option...as I believe

Jay wants a new release for the sake of novelty, first release money, which I also

believe would be a larger pot.

In regards to the list suggestion from Jay... he wants it to come from the user end...

as he sees us as the best source for what's hot....

@RT:

I understand that the whole initiative from you (which is great) is not an easy thing neither to manage , nor to follow up. Too many members to listen, too many opinions to deal with , so many different tastes etc...

Though here some comments regarding the new setup that may help the situation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- We need a subforum to include these polls. If not , in a day or two some of these individual polls will go down to the 3rd page and they will get lost and forgotten. Grouping them together under one subforum will help a lot.

- Allowing only RWG supporters to submit a poll , I think is a "fair" idea (what the heck ... paying money should give us some sort of a previliege, right ?).

On the other hand, I also think that even allowing the submissin of a poll from an RWG supporter only, you may also let other members (non RWG supporters) to create a simple topic (not a poll) with their opinion/option.

If they manage to convince/sell the idea to a RWG supporter that their choice or recomendation is a good one , then maybe a "RWG supporter could create a poll" with this option.

These way we will broad our options of watches.

- Regarding the limitations on the watch movement , size, not replicated before etc..

I perfectly understand that Jay does not want "exotic" watches or "already replicated ones" cause these optionss will limit down the number of potential buyers and therfore will make the whole project financialy not viable. So far so good.

On the other hand the above restrictions do really limit a lot our choises.

We are running the risk to end up with some watches that they fulfill all the above criteria and restrictions but they will not be really attarctive to many potential buyers and then the whole project will faill due to the luck of numbers and desirebility of the watch.

So therefore I am asking you (and Jay too) to at least reconsider the case size of the watch. Open this up to 44-44.5 mm. This will allow us to include some very attractive watches like the Ebel Chrono, Cycline, Oris Diver, etc.. which right now are out due to case size.

Thanks listening and considering the above recomendations ..... and if not, ....still is ok :) .

I understand that you got to put the a limit somewhere and not anybody can be satisfied.

Cheers,

AMK000

Oh great...the first rule puts me out of the game...it is not that i don't wanna be a RWG supporter...it is just that i cannot use paypal from the country i come from... :thumbdown: ...so i cannot pay to beome a member... :(

Send me the cash by Moneybookers and I'll pay for your membership.

that could be the solution...tought about it...but i am like Ubi, without credit card...and lately been thinking of getting one...when i get it...definitely will do something like that!..

BTW Pugwash...tnx for the offer...

that could be the solution...tought about it...but i am like Ubi, without credit card...and lately been thinking of getting one...when i get it...definitely will do something like that!..

Moneybookers doesn't require a credit card. It's free to transfer from a Croatian bank account.

http://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=fees

Back on Topic. I've posted a watch, and I know it may be coming from other sources, but you said to stake claims early, so I thought I'd close that one off. :D

Every Paid Member who thinks they know a watch which will become a

best seller, will post the photo in their own poll thread, and let everyone know

why they should vote for it.

Sell it to us,.. Convince us.

Rules are as follows;

Only supporter ?

Ok, here's the deal; There are several winners on this one. The reason for this is that the members here all like top quality watches but I guess we are different when it comes to design. So, the winners are (in random order)

Pugwash

Mahler

LeGambleur

SubFrog

They will all get a free 1 year RWG supporter-membership and 2 free t-shirts each.

Then perhaps I'm supporter ? Perhaps..... :g:

Edited by MAHLER