When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HELP! A DayDate for my wife!

markiemark

Since I got my TC Sub v6 my wife is interested in a Rolex as well. After a lot of Google sessions she decided she wants a two tone (yellow gold) DayDate 1 or 2.

I browsed pretty much every TD website and all have different versions/models/editions, which is driving me crazy.

Specs:

- It needs to have numerals on the dial, no roman or sticks.

- Fluted or smooth bezel, smooth preferred.

- No "diamonds".

- Any bracelet, just not this one: http://www.swiss-wrist.com/uploads/rawimages/16013-SLV-STK-FLT-JBL-1.png

- No cheap sh*t.

I found some pics I want to show to dealers whether they can get it or not. But they have champagne datewheels, is this correct as per gen?

Different dials. different this. different that. Im going craaaaazy!

wWJZmZt.jpg

25402.jpg

tv.jpg

(yes, I know these are not TD's)

Can anyone help me? Im about to freaking snap!

Matt has already spoken in a post above. He is the Rolex guru, so if he says it's a hard one to replicate, then listen because he knows what he's talking about. He's probably built a trainload of DJ's and D/D's.

First off AFAIK the D/D was never produced as a two tone, only solid yellow, white and rose gold and possibly platinum. the TT DJ's are probably the most popular DJ around. Rolex did produce in limited numbers a "Tridor" Day Date which is a three tone, looks like the two tone, but it has contrasting stripes of different color gold down the middle of the bracelet. Scarce as hens teeth and expensive !! the watches in your photos are fantasy models, they do not exist in the wild. You could have Matt build you a really nice TT DJ but the D/D is not correct.

Honestly, I would be very careful about building a replica for your wife, unless she understands what she is getting and is in complete accord. Women are really funny about things like this. Some will accept replica watches, purses, etc. there are others who would not leave the house with a replica anything. If your wife is really picky, I would have a heart to heart conversation about these watches, and find out exactly what she wants. It will save you money and problems in the long run. Spending 700-1000 USD on a really nice replica of a D/D is fine if she is going to wear it, but if not, it's money down the drain.

Here is and Airking Precision that Matt built for my wife. Gen case, dial, crown, ETA movement and Matts President bracelet.

post-327-0-80414800-1392582906_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-57364500-1392582889_thumb.jpg

Matt has already spoken in a post above. He is the Rolex guru, so if he says it's a hard one to replicate, then listen because he knows what he's talking about. He's probably built a trainload of DJ's and D/D's.

First off AFAIK the D/D was never produced as a two tone, only solid yellow, white and rose gold and possibly platinum. the TT DJ's are probably the most popular DJ around. Rolex did produce in limited numbers a "Tridor" Day Date which is a three tone, looks like the two tone, but it has contrasting stripes of different color gold down the middle of the bracelet. Scarce as hens teeth and expensive !! the watches in your photos are fantasy models, they do not exist in the wild. You could have Matt build you a really nice TT DJ but the D/D is not correct.

Honestly, I would be very careful about building a replica for your wife, unless she understands what she is getting and is in complete accord. Women are really funny about things like this. Some will accept replica watches, purses, etc. there are others who would not leave the house with a replica anything. If your wife is really picky, I would have a heart to heart conversation about these watches, and find out exactly what she wants. It will save you money and problems in the long run. Spending 700-1000 USD on a really nice replica of a D/D is fine if she is going to wear it, but if not, it's money down the drain.

Here is and Airking Precision that Matt built for my wife. Gen case, dial, crown, ETA movement and Matts President bracelet.

Airking 2.jpg

Airking 1.jpg

Thanks, really appreciate your info and explanation. Maybe I'll let her wear a Guess watch or something first to verify if she likes wearing a watch. I dont want to waste money on something she wears once or twice a month.