When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Whats with Panerai

coffindodger

Not been into collecting Rep watches for long, but since I found this site I have been noticing that everybody seems to have and love their Panerai's I don't get it is there something I'm missing because they don't do it for me.Should I just get one and then I will notice what the fuss is about or if I don't like them now I will never. 

Funny you mention this. I thought the same as you but when I bought my first Panerai one year ago or so I felt in love with it the day I received the watch. This PAM 104

img3294zw.jpg

img3335qi.jpg

foto2dz.jpg

Then after a while I thought let's change the look of this one and get myself another strap. I bought this strap from TWD and it changed the watch completely

foto1ax.jpg

Now I've got another Panerai, the 111. It might look the same but it's definitely not :) It's on a strap from the well known Mr. Donerix.

u7n8.jpg

u98d.jpg

thl3.jpg

Now, one year later, I already got two Panerai watches and I'm searching for number three. When I look back, I didn't like Panerai that much but after the first one the love for this watch become bigger and bigger. I'm wearing the 104 at this moment when I typ this! :p

But I think you have Rolex-guys, Panerai-guys, Hublot-guys, AP-guys and so on. But I think once you'll try the Panerai, you will love this watch in your collection. ;)

The moral of this story, just buy one and see if you like it. I'm almost sure you will wear it with love ;)

I'm with Marti, I just didn't get it when I first started out. What is the big deal with Panerai? As I saw more and more posts in the daily wrist check I just learned to appreciate the beautiful simplicity of Panerai. I picked up a 111 and it is one of my favourite watches.

post-44290-0-13422300-1395401374_thumb.j

oh, I almost forgot,

STRAPS!!!!

Beautiful strap, AJ. My wife saw your picture, and she says I have to get one just like that  :)

Panerai is straps - as mentioned by someone above here.

But it's more. It's magic. You don't like it. You see it IRL. You try it on your wrist. You learn about the brand's history. You buy it. You Love it.

Here's my 372 dressed for different occations:

Nato:

2014-02-23140329_zps9fd6ff7c.jpg

Custom bund:

2014-03-09115222_zps4e238749.jpg

OEM Assolutamente

1c2a0b47-96d5-497f-b0bb-643371a8d34b_zps

008_zpsec5a1c19.jpg

Gunny

018-5.jpg

Blue nato 

013640x480.jpg

Right hmmm shall i!! That 104 looks ok Mart, that a good piece for a start then wheres get the straps??? bet their huge like 26mm.

Whats the best going at the moment don't wana spend loads but don't want a budget job either.

104 is a great PAM to start with in my opinion ;)

The link from toro is the 299 not the 104. The 104 doesn't got the brushed case like the 299. But looks like a great pam to start with! 

There are a lot of strap makers, to start you should check this strap selling topic on RWG: http://www.rwgforum.net/forum/58-straps-and-bracelets/

You'll find straps from Donerix who is the man and otherwise I've got straps from TWB: http://www.thewatchboys.com

I just found out of Orloff straps, stunning straps, thanks to AJ :):  http://www.orloff-straps.blogspot.com

And of course a lot more strap makers out there, good luck

Looks fine.

But go with the Noob 111 instead. One of the best pam reps ever made, and a classic in the gen game too.

http://www.torobravos2014.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=35_52&product_id=87

I am another one who couldn't understand nor stand Pams when I first saw them. Then a friend let me try on his gen 000, I wore it for a few hours and I was sold. It's the closeness you build with the watch, from winding (if manual), the fit, the style, the uniqueness of the cg etc.

Oh and as nobody mentioned it already

STRAPS!!

Edited by Lobster

I would say that they are watches that will grow on you, if any ever do. I (As my user name implies), have had a fair number of PAMS. It seems like the PAM hysteria has quieted down somewhat, but back in the mid 2000's around 2006-7, the  Paneristi were crazy!! The genuine fortums were filled with guys that I felt like were one missed pill away from the "loony bin"!! Another thing that sort of turned me away was the fact that genuine PAMS were using ETA movements and selling the watches at what I considered very high prices. Another thing, they were promoting bigger and bigger watches, and I realized that 44mm was the upper limits for my wrist. I couldn't wear the 47mm watches, so interest began to wane  

Back when Eddie Lee was around, he was selling some really nice 029's and 063's with ETA 27893 movements. I bought one of each sold them, bought another 2893 powered 029, and had a few others but over time, I sort of lost interest in reps for a couple of years, and I ended up selling all of them. In the past couple of years, I have had a submersible I took in a trade,  can't remember the number but it was one of the Big ones, as well as one with a  blue dial. the submersible was way too big for me, and I didn't bond with the blue dial watch. I also got an 024A from Davidsen, and it was really nice, but It too didn't stick around long. Maybe I need to go back and buy just a basic nice 104, something that isn't too big and bulky. my problem is I have so many watches now, about 75% of the hardly ever see the light of day, so I really don't need any more watches right now.

In defense of PAMs, they are very nice, simple, classy watches that are good for wearing just about anywhere with anything. And as was said, strap changes are very easy, and every strap gives the watch a different look.