When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another step closer to "finished"

Nanuq

Hah!  I'll just call over to the ROCC and have them hold all departures.  Then I'll stroll out to your Falcon and give you a Meaningful Stare. 

THEN we go out for beers!  :tu:

Ain't that the truth! There's always one more "next new part". The next will be the ne plus ultra.

With this iteration I'm thinking about the JoeyB trick of using a drop of epoxy for a gen like "pearl". Pics I've seen show a very flat amber dot, much lower than a trit pearl, almost flush to the surface. Thoughts?

post-32-0-42310200-1395768553_thumb.jpg

post-32-0-37263200-1395768566_thumb.jpg

post-32-0-19185600-1395768579_thumb.jpg

I would try a few different quickset epoxies, or maybe work with different ratios of catalyst, I have seen epoxy come out with almost the right shade of yellow for that vintage pearl look. UV exposure will increase the effect as well.

I've seen that before, I'm not sure how to do it though. Here's one that was for sale recently on vrm

That one looks like the lip on the tritium pearl is flush with the top of the insert, instead of sitting up like it usually sits. Is the hole bigger on these inserts? As opposed to say the inserts on a 1680 or 1665?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not a pearl, it's some kind of epoxy made to look like tritium, which does sit flush with the top of the hole. It's what nanuq was trying to show exept that the one I showed from vrm was done a little better than the one he was showing us from ebay

I read somewhere that Rolex used that in the really old Subs, often it appeared like a smear of trit lume in a divot in the insert. 

I could go with an Athaya pearl and tint it vintage, but this looks pretty darn nice, to my jaded eye.