When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

This is for nanug! Doxas

It's a beautiful day outside, but I'm on call this weekend, so not much to do except sit around and wait for the phone to ring. There was a recent thread about folks shifting to gens from reps, and vice versa. I got into reps from gens back during the time of the old TRC, and the very early years of this forum. I remembered that at some point, I sold off all my reps and started getting back into gens. from looking at my emails and photos, around 2000., I sold off all my reps and bought gens for 4-5  years, I didn't buy anything but genuine watches. Somewhere along the line, I got interested in Doxa Dive watches and started collecting vintage as well as a few modern ones. I still have the first one I bought an Orange Dial Professional, as well as the old 60's era Doxa pre-sub, and my wife's Coralline that belonged to Dr. Peter Millar, the author of the Doxa  books. all the rest are long gone. I found this group shot photo of a bunch of them from back in 2006, thought it might be of some interest to those of you who are dive watch fans as well as Doxa lovers. In the photo are 4 300T Subs, each with a different dial color. this is a complete set, Professional - Orange, Shark Hunter - Black, Divingstar - Yellow and the Sea Rambler - Silver.  Also the 1960's Pre sub Diver, a 600T Turnograph and a  600T Shark hunter with the later aluminum bezel.

Doxa Family photo!!

post-327-0-78337300-1399237730_thumb.jpg

I still have three of them. You know, you can't keep them all. Unless I get some extra money, I usually have to sell something to buy another. That was the case with these, I saw other watches that I wanted, and to buy them others had to go.

Another reason to get rid off the vintage Doxas is the complete lack of parts. There just aren't any. The Doxa company changed hands three times in the 70's and 80's every time they redesigned the watches and didn't make enough spare parts to service the ones they were building. Over time the few parts were used up, and when they were gone, they were gone. Very frustrating to have a watch that you can't use because the parts are not available. I'm talking about dials, hands, bezels, crowns, bracelets. Restoring a vintage Doxa is like trying to find parts for and A7750' except worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still have three of them. You know, you can't keep them all. Unless I get some extra money, I usually have to sell something to buy another. That was the case with these, I saw other watches that I wanted, and to buy them others had to go.

Another reason to get rid off the vintage Doxas is the complete lack of parts. There just aren't any. The Doxa company changed hands three times in the 70's and 80's every time they redesigned the watches and didn't make enough spare parts to service the ones they were building. Over time the few parts were used up, and when they were gone, they were gone. Very frustrating to have a watch that you can't use because the parts are not available. I'm talking about dials, hands, bezels, crowns, bracelets. Restoring a vintage Doxa is like trying to find parts for and A7750' except worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thats very frustrating... and I can only assume you have scoured through ebay already

We helped Lani find a SUB300 Pro years ago and he got it for a song because it was missing the bezel. Then lo and behold, someone here on RWG had a bezel that fit! That was a once in a lifetime outcome. And last time I met Lani for lunch he wore it to show off a little.

We helped Lani find a SUB300 Pro years ago and he got it for a song because it was missing the bezel. Then lo and behold, someone here on RWG had a bezel that fit! That was a once in a lifetime outcome. And last time I met Lani for lunch he wore it to show off a little.

Wonder where he found that bezel ? That was the only bezel out of three NOS that I had that would fit any of the watches.

Parts are not out there. EBay or anywhere.

Ah yes, more lovely watches I've had. I still wish I had my T-Graph. That one is only 1 of 150 (in Orange) and they made only 100 T-Graph's in Black face.

d1-1.jpg

My Sharkhunter GMT I bought Brand New, directly from Doxa.

010.jpg

I use to see one of the Actors on 24 I think wearing one a few years back.

Very well build timepieces.

Dave...

Wonder where he found that bezel ? That was the only bezel out of three NOS that I had that would fit any of the watches.

Parts are not out there. EBay or anywhere.

That's right, you were the one that made it happen. I didn't know if you wanted me to use your name, lest the entire Doxa-afflicted interwebs descends on you for parts!

This is true Marti but if you look at the old models in our fellow members hands it would seem their quality has stood the test of time. You can sell all your other divers (I could sure fund this one) and be done. ( that is Gen ones for the ocean) Now at this price point could go Sinn but maintaining a Sinn over the long haul expensive, only they can open their watches $ !

Well, depends on which model Mike.

Some oil filled got to go back, some argon filled with moisture capsule, some argon filled, those should ideally go back but if your favourite smith services them you lose the argon - doesn't affect the watch. Yes, it prevents corrosion  but look at 50 year old watches and see which are corroded - the ones that haven't been looked after, all the ones that have been services are OK I think.

I looked at Doxa but they just don't do anything for me, too orange LOL