When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Very Bad Franken 1655 on Ebay

denimhead

Here's the guys response, terrifying!!!!

‎Hi Mark
Thanks for your feedback reg the watch.

This is my first 1655 and the infirmities you seek to show donot seem valid in light of the fact‎ that a famous Auction house has valued it and agreed to take it in their auction. I fully appreciate your right to criticise but maybe the photos didnt come out well or from some angle. If you want some photos from other angle, I would certainly mail them to you for your perusal in the message. To repeat, a famous auctioneer has seen, valued and agreed to take it in their auction where it will in all probability go. And yes, NOTHING HERE IS AFTERMARKET, ALL IS ORIGINAL save for the bracelet. Because of the ethical consideration, I am not sending you a copy my private mail conversation with the auction house.

So is my other very rare gold rolex which may be one of the very few surviving model of semi hermetic Rolex with FB case. I shall await your constructive criticism of that as well, should time and inclination permit.

Once again reiterating that this is a rare all original untouched and virginal 1655 ‎which mostly sat in the safe, I await your critique of the other rolex.

And as Voltaire said, " I might disagree with you but I will defend to death your right to say it." 

Regards
Mitra
PS: You may be from UK,if you are listed on co.uk domain. There is a Parsi community in India who are the richest and the best connoisseurs of horological items. ‎ For examples there are more McCabe triple fusee with Parsis in India than in entire England. This is a dwindling community who donot have kids. Tatas are one example. I always buy my watches and clocks from aged Parsis. Still negotiating for Rolex and Patek Moonphase with one but the price asked is humongous. Anyway, this was just as an aside. But I do look forward to learning with/from you.

OK, so teach us that can't see the issues. What are they that make you think its a rep?

Dave...

OK, so teach us that can't see the issues. What are they that make you think its a rep?

Dave...

Hi Dave

Here you go mate

1. the outer markers on all gen dials are printed very close to the outer edge, the outer markers always sit flush to the rehaut, as you can see this isn't the case on this awful franken

2. the coronet shape isn't correct for any of the 3 versions of the early T SWISS T dials that stern produced

3. The orange 24hr hand is totally incorrect in terms of length and profile, not long enough, too fat and no taper down to the arrow head

4. The cg's aren't 'long or square' enough and are incorrect in terms of profile, have a look at any of the Gen 1675 or 1655 and you'll see what i mean.   

5. The CG's are also very thick, again compared to all gen 1655 and 1675 which have an up turned thin side profile

6. Look at the inners of the CG's, they should have a clean steep angle ending in a nice right angle. not the stepped effect this has

7. the engravings are incorrect in terms of font and numeral style for any early 1970's rolex

8. No chafer on the outer edges of the case, which happens to look brand new

Hope that helps

DH

• Like 1

Dave...

For those people who have been around for a few years, this is obviously a 4 or 5 year old Cartel piece from one of our trusted dealers. I remember when it was released. Yellowed markers which don't touch the rehaut.

It's possible to fit a gen 1575 into a lot of rep cases. Having owned the majority of rep and good aftermarket 1655 cases over the years I'd hedge my bets on this being one of ingod44's cases. I've worked on a couple of his and had to mod them to address the issues raised in the post

DH

I reported it and messaged the guy.  I got a similar weird, ranting, kind of polite but indignant response.  I wrote back and said if he wasn't willing to get something of this value checked at an RSC, he's as much as admitting it's a fake.

Here's hoping a few more reports will get this thing taken down.

My two cents on the source by the way is a higher end seller, MQ, NDT or IG44.

The MQ and Phong cases all have nice chamfer on the lugs, though.  Do the NDT and Ingod cases leave out that detail like the cheap rep cases do?  Even Yuki cases have chamfer, don't they?

This one is literally just a straight, 90 degree wall from the side edge of the lug.  Not good.  I'm wearing my Puretime red 1680 right now and that has nice chamfer to it.

Edited by Mendota Explorer

Good on ya mate, fooking scammers   :nono:   on the plus side I for one learnt something new today   :notworthy:

Mendota good point about the chamfers.  I haven't handled them to know if they consistently do, but if that's the case then who knows what this case is.

The seller wrote back again and said he was willing to seek an RSC appraisal.  We'll see...