When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Suspicious Request from Pure Time?

After being unable to pay with credit card I was asked to pay with Western Union, as much as I prefer not to do this, it seems to be the way thngs are going. I recieved an emal from puretime asking me to send the money to Taiwan where Angus has "some personal family friends." Maybe it's just me, but this is starting to sound suspicious. I have been emailing them from the same adress I have used in the past but I am hesitant to procede with the order. Has someone had this request from Pure Time recently? Would you move forward with the purchase?

email address used:    puretime.billing@gmail.com

website ordered from: www.puretime-asia.com

You would think that after this long and nothing but successful orders I would be a pro but for some reason this has made me more uncomfortable than any other purchase I have made before?

I have been trying to pay via mastercard but it will not allow me to continue with the order, strange. I may have to place the order elsewhere, not sure I am getting a warm feeling from this transaction.

I never got to a stage where I would input my credit card info, I'm not sure that's the issue. I seem to remember this process being a lot easier; place order, pay with PayPal, accept QC pics, OBSESSIVELY check EMS tracking, enjoy your new watch!

I never got to a stage where I would input my credit card info, I'm not sure that's the issue. I seem to remember this process being a lot easier; place order, pay with PayPal, accept QC pics, OBSESSIVELY check EMS tracking, enjoy your new watch!

And unfortunately those days are going if not gone. Noobs opening PP disputes on the drop of a pin (go check other RWG) PP in general cracking down. I do not know how many read the movement threads next door (as in not what ordered) but the factories doing some shady stuff with the new breed 2813 time bombs. Guys opening up surprise surprise , more PP disputes some well founded. It ain't going to get easier.............

I believe that you are completely correct. it's going to get harder and harder to get quality watches with any degree of safety. I really, really don't like WU, although I will reluctantly use it if I have to, but it's only going to be with someone I have done business with and I have a certain degree of trust. Idiots who open PayPal disputes are at the bottom of this, as it basically paralyses the dealer when their account gets frozen. Having said that, some blame needs to be shared by the dealers as well. If they were a little more accommodating, and did a better job of responding to complaints, possibly some of these disputes could be averted. I realize that there are some people out there who are just idiots. they order a watch, and expect that it will arrive on their doorstep within a couple of days, totally unrealistic. they start bombarding the dealer with emails every half hour demanding to know why they haven't gotten their watch? Then when it arrives, they nit pick it to death, even though had they read the reviews, they would have known about that particular model's flaws. Or some like the poster above who probably has never a mechanical watch in his life, who can't understand why it stops after a few hours of inactivity. Never had a clue that you needed to wind it first and then wear it!! I would bet that a very high percentage of problems that are encountered are things that are owner created either out of carelessness or ignorance. But unfortunately, the dealer/factory gets blamed for a lot of this.

AFA the movement substitutions, that is unconscionable. Buyers have a right to be angry when they pay for a certain model or grade movement, and open their watches and find out that they actually got a low grade, unreliable, probably un-repairable movement. If the dealers claim that they didn't know, then they need to know. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. I know they probably deal with large numbers of watches every day, but somewhere there has to be accountability. If all the dealers told the factories, I can't sell these watches with these POS movements, I would bet that something would be done. Just saying, "I had no idea that they were substituting these movements for the higher grade movements", is no excuse. That's like me buying a new car from a dealer and while driving it home, the transmission seizes up. turns out the factory forgot to put transmission fluid in the transmission. That's why dealers do a pre delivery service and check, to prevent those types of problems. the watch dealers should do the same thing as well.

If we were paying 50 bucks for reps, I would say, what you see is what you get, but we are paying 700-800 USD for bone stock reps. At that price, there should be some quality control. If shenanigans continue, I can see a lot of folks getting disgusted and leaving the rep game, or doing like I do about 95% of the time, buy M2M. At least when you buy from another member, you can ask questions, ask for good clear photos and have a good idea of what you are getting.

• Like 1

I've been in the rep collecting game now for over 10 years, I remember buying a Rollie GMT from aBay Paul for $175 with gen ETA movement.

I'm still in the game but with reps averaging $350 - 500 and all the hassles with lack of payment options and QC issues that seem to accompany these prices I am buying much less frequently than I used to.

I'm not at the point where I'm ready to walk away from the game completely as I still marvel at the new issues the factories come up with.

But every time I contact a TD about a watch I'm interested in there is a certain amount of hesitancy when I think about the potential hassles ahead.

AFA the movement substitutions, that is unconscionable. Buyers have a right to be angry when they pay for a certain model or grade movement, and open their watches and find out that they actually got a low grade, unreliable, probably un-repairable movement. If the dealers claim that they didn't know, then they need to know. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. I know they probably deal with large numbers of watches every day, but somewhere there has to be accountability. If all the dealers told the factories, I can't sell these watches with these POS movements, I would bet that something would be done. Just saying, "I had no idea that they were substituting these movements for the higher grade movements", is no excuse. That's like me buying a new car from a dealer and while driving it home, the transmission seizes up. turns out the factory forgot to put transmission fluid in the transmission. That's why dealers do a pre delivery service and check, to prevent those types of problems. the watch dealers should do the same thing as well.

Clapping my hands  :notworthy:  :clapping:

Same here. Try to stick to m2m. Last 2 from factory had wrong movement. Can't send it back, no partial refund. Both these I could not find m2m and both are donor watches, both upgraded so I could use the movements. Even though pictures clearly show wrong movement no refund or even acknowledgement to take any responsibility. Simply told I am wrong.....factory says it's ...... When we all know it is not. Will not make that mistake again. As for paying I do not like WU and generally use CC with no issues. Keep a card with lower limit for the internet. Did do bank transfer once but fees are really high.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Same here. Try to stick to m2m. Last 2 from factory had wrong movement. Can't send it back, no partial refund. Both these I could not find m2m and both are donor watches, both upgraded so I could use the movements. Even though pictures clearly show wrong movement no refund or even acknowledgement to take any responsibility. Simply told I am wrong.....factory says it's ...... When we all know it is not. Will not make that mistake again. As for paying I do not like WU and generally use CC with no issues. Keep a card with lower limit for the internet. Did do bank transfer once but fees are really high.

If a dealer has that kind of attitude they deserve to go under.

PP claim away!

Same here. Try to stick to m2m. Last 2 from factory had wrong movement. Can't send it back, no partial refund. Both these I could not find m2m and both are donor watches, both upgraded so I could use the movements. Even though pictures clearly show wrong movement no refund or even acknowledgement to take any responsibility. Simply told I am wrong.....

Please Droptopman, translate m2m into something more understandable as, at this point I'd also like to avoid get trapped into that...

Tnx,

GenTLe

M2m is member to member. In other words I usually buy watches from the sales boards here and on the other forums. As opposed to ordering from the factory. That way it is already in the states, ships quicker, pay with paypal (in most cases) and the seller has already evaluated the watch. Doesn't always work out as I have had to replace movements is some of those as well but generally I have a much better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of a piece from another member. Can ask for specific pics or information. I'm no veteran here nor an expert but in my brief time here--which I love the forum and the hobby-- I have learned that these are reps with generally low quality control so when I am looking at a purchase I add in the cost to have it checked out/fixed to my budget. I found a great watch smith here and send them to him to fix them up and in most cases add some gen goodies:)

Don't want to say. Both were trusted dealers and for the most part are good guys with good service just might not know movements as well as my WS (watch smith) and are reliant on the factory to supply and confirm the movements.

I have been around a bit and buy M2M 99% of the time. I am lucky as I can abstain from latest and greatest trap, once you get over that you can watch the board and pick up some nice watches.Hint: higher cost watches modded by our many talented guys is a sure way to get a good piece ,cost more but then again does it really................. ;)

• Like 1

. Just saying, "I had no idea that they were substituting these movements for the higher grade movements", is no excuse. That's like me buying a new car from a dealer and while driving it home, the transmission seizes up. turns out the factory forgot to put transmission fluid in the transmission. That's why dealers do a pre delivery service and check, to prevent those types of problems. the watch dealers should do the same thing as well.

Actually people are getting Tacomas from the factory low on trans fluid. Mine was a quart low and the dealer did not even check. There are big threads about this on the Tacoma forums.

I opted to go another route as this order included a watch for a friend and I didn't want to put his $400.00 at any increased risk. Not that I am sure something is up and Angus has been great to deal with in the past. This request just gave me an uneasy feeling that I may not be dealing with Angus. The dealers websites change so often, it's hard to keep track of which one is the current site and the list is often out of date on the forum.

The order has now been placed and the clock has started, I love/hate this part ;)

My very first rep purchase 1.5 years ago was at Puretime and I had to pay with WU. It took 3 visits at my local post office, 2 times the money came back to my post office because WU has blocked the recipient... So I had to fill out another form to get my money back, email PT, get another recipients details, go back to post office and start another try. The 3rd attempt finally went through.

So WU is really a big PITA, but it's safe if you get the recipients details from PT billing (Shuang if I remember correctly).