When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Kill me now...

daveb33

So, My brand new eta 2824-2 came in the post today. Eager to start my franken datejust build I got to work. Installed the crown onto the stem and checked the postions to try and turn the date wheel to align the overlay....

The stem came out as I must have used too much force. I pushed the stem back in, now it wont hack, nor does it click into either date or time setting position. 

Any ideas what I have done? I know it hasnt done it any good I can see that for myself!

The one thing I can describe is that there is a little cog the stem connects too that turns the one above it is all lose inside  like something has broken off, come apart - does this terrible description make the slightest bit of sense? 

God I feel sick...and stupid...and gutted.

Cheers

Dave

Sounds familiar, I had this with a Yuki 3135. With some help from Mike (Misiekped), and some articles about gen 3135 movements I was able to fix it.

At first I was not that happy that I screwed up the movement, but it turned out to be a lot of fun, and I learned something about movements (it was my first time I worked on a movement)

I actually love tinkering with things - I have contacted a watchmaker and he is happy to do it for me, but once I am finished with my last client (im a tattoo artist) I will do some reading up to see if I feel confident.

I get lots more satisfaction doing things myself but I like to think that I am aware of my limits.

Thank you for all the help everyone, I will keep you posted on how I get on. Thank you,

Dave

Yes this happens.  I have done it several times.  I have not had the courage to try and work on a good movement yet but at some point will dive in.  The last one I did was on a beautiful franken I picked up M2M and when I arrived I went to wind it and set the time and pulled the whole crown out.....tried to get it back in and buggered it all up.  Off to the watch smith.  That one ended up getting a new movement.  Hopefully you can save yours.  Good luck

Mark can show ya.

keyless works are a [censored]. i almost prefer the 2813s if i wanna tinker because those arnt as tempermental with the stem release.

glad you got a local guy to fix it. hope it doesnt cost you too much. ive seen prices from $30 to $100 to fix a keyless.

This same video actually guided me last week. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Getting the datewheel with the DWO back on the movement was actually harder than resetting the keyless. lol.

Thank you all so, so much for the helpful information guys!

So, after reading the first link posted on here, watching the vid and reading this post

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/132392-eta-keyless-tutorial/?p=987221&hl=sneed12&fromsearch=1#entry987221

I felt confident attempting the fix myself.

Got as far as taking off the rotor and thought to myself, 'Right, this is it, you have committed'  - Went on to unscrew the next step but my screw drivers are very cheap and I could not get a good purchase on the screw to loosen it - I then thoughy, nah, I dont wanna mess anything else up.

Flipped the movement over and decided to try and take the datewheel off - same thing happend.

I think in this instance, I will take it to the watch maker to see what the cost will be - esp as I want the h4 set up to allow more clearance over the stick markers. 

But, what I 100% know will do is buy a cheaper movement and have a tinker around - I really do fancy attempting this and see a new obsession forming. 

Time for me to look into some better tools.

Thanks again

Dave

DWO is by far the worst thing to have to install EVER. I absolutely hate it. I've been doing a movement swap for a friend and I'm so over it.

Had if set perfect the first time. Of course it got hung up and wouldn't always flip all the way.

Then a few 100x later, I got it to flip over every night but low 20s sit a little low.

By this point, I would do more harm than good so we agreed that was as far as I go. Lol

I never wanna do another DWO ever but I still have another build to wrap up. :(

So, My brand new eta 2824-2 came in the post today. Eager to start my franken datejust build I got to work. Installed the crown onto the stem and checked the postions to try and turn the date wheel to align the overlay....

The stem came out as I must have used too much force. I pushed the stem back in, now it wont hack, nor does it click into either date or time setting position.

Any ideas what I have done? I know it hasnt done it any good I can see that for myself!

The one thing I can describe is that there is a little cog the stem connects too that turns the one above it is all lose inside like something has broken off, come apart - does this terrible description make the slightest bit of sense?

God I feel sick...and stupid...and gutted.

Cheers

Dave

I had the exact same issue by tryin to build a Datejust with an Asian 2824 from eBay (carabinet is the seller name)

So. Took the movement to a watch maker - 10 mins from my home. Turned out to be a really cool guy.  I had taken along the parts needed for the franken datejust project and showed him just what the movement was for.

He was cool about it, kinda seemed a little impressed that I managed to source everything needed to do the project. 

Long story short, I left everything with him and he is going to take a look and get back to me with the cost of fixing the movement and maybe the cost of the whole project assembly if he fancies it.

Got a few of the old mechanic head shakes, deep breaths and talk about how much work is involved for him but he will be getting back to me soon.

I'll keep you all posted on what happens next!

Thanks again,

Dave

Got as far as taking off the rotor......

Odd, you don't need to take off the rotor to fix the keyless. I haven't seen the video, but that is an unnecessary step. Anyhow, glad it's in good hands now. It does pay to have the right tools for the job. Invest in a decent set of Bergeon or AF screwdrivers at the absolute minimum before attempting any movement work.