When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6263 Help

vasthorizon

Howdy, folks.

I've only discovered the world of reps 2 months ago.

I've been a big fan of Subs, GMT's, and Day-Dates, but recently, this one has caught the very definition of "watch-love" for me.

Would you be able to please help me in building my dream watch?

I fell in love - the dial, the colour combination, and styling are the perfect combination for me.

It is this 6263. I am not too fussy about accuracy (I'd still love for it to be accurate, but at a minimal cost), but the dial and case thickness are what I want.

Thank you very much in advance for all your input.

post-63409-0-64448800-1415817520_thumb.j

There are literally hundres of vintage Daytona threads. Best advice we can give you is to start reading. You'll be able to tell what direction you want to go after you get familiar with the options.

For example, start here ... it's only a few posts below yours.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/174385-best-6263-rep-currently-available/

Edited by tomhorn
  • Like 1

Thank you for the reply. I am still really lost with all of this. From where exactly is a "cartel" case?

Also, should I be watching the parts classifieds for the parts or can I buy them new?

Is there any way I can grab a dial that's 1:1 from the picture I've posted?

Thank you.

There are literally hundres of vintage Daytona threads. Best advice we can give you is to start reading. You'll be able to tell what direction you want to go after you get familiar with the options.

For example, start here ... it's only a few posts below yours.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/174385-best-6263-rep-currently-available/

Edited by vasthorizon

Read. More than you have.

The answers are all out there, and the vintage Daytona is not an easy project. For that matter, building any watch requires a lot of research. Too many new members want to skip this part, and get into trouble by going down the wrong path for themselves because they don't know what they are really trying to do. The long-standing members of the site do not tell new members to read, or search, because we are being watch snobs or just like being hard on "Noobs". It's done because we want you to learn and know what you are getting yourself into. We could point you at countless threads where someone bought a part and didn't realize it wouldn't work with the other parts they had, or it forced them to go down a path with a build they didn't want to travel (like spending way more than necessary).

It's nearly impossible to give any kind of relevant advice on any build without knowing answers to a lot of questions that you will need to figure out on your own. For example, what is your budget? Do you want to build one yourself from parts, or want one pre-built? What flaws are acceptable to you (there is no such thing as a 1:1 perfect rep of any kind, especially a vintage Daytona)? You need to familiarize yourself with the model and the available options, decide which direction you want to go, and then ask for help if there are things you still don't understand or are confused about.

Just to give you a little insight as to why this is important, let's look at your dial question.

The best aftermarket Paul Newman dial is IMO the ingod44 dial for a v72 movement. So, if you want that dial, here are the challenges you will face.

1) Even though his site is still functional, ingod44 has seemed to have disappeared, so you likely can only get one in a M2M sale (if you are lucky).

2) You'll now have two build choices. Either build a v72 based watch (very expensive), or you can buy an ST-19 (aka Venus) based Daytona (the cartel Daytona), and mod the non working 6 o'clock subdial hand to fit the ingod44 v72 dial properly (there's a very informative thread about doing this already posted).

So, for that dial (assuming you can even find one) your two choices are spend a lot of money, or have a watch that still isn't perfect even if it does have the best available dial. Have no idea if either is an acceptable option for you.

Or, you could go a completely different direction if neither of those options sounds appealing. And that's why you need to do your own research, figure out what options are out there, and what path you want to go down. Members have written many posts about the builds they have done, why they chose to do it the way they did, and have posted pictures of the end results. You need to look at them and make your own decision about what's important to you.

• Like 4

I mostly concur (as usual) with tomhorn, except that I think MQ has the best Newman dials. Probably, the most expensive, but, once you rise to the V72 level, you should demand only the best available.

(coronets are gens)

I'll defer to you on the PN dials. They have never been my cup of tea, so I haven't done quite as much research there ... ;)

Although I think he has been a bit flakey too as of late IIRC.

Edited by tomhorn

This watch doesn't have the dial you're looking for, but it's a decent starter watch and somewhat accurate.

http://www.pf-818.com/0rldv00124v-6263pn-ssss-cream-asian-venus-p-12358.html

The Venus 75 movement is reliable and even though the six o'clock subdial is fixed, the watch is still a decent starting place. 

If you really like it, then you can start working on building a more accurate rep and spending $2-3K on it.

Keeping an eye open on the sales forums would also be a good way to pick up a 6263

Like most everyone above has stated, you need to do a whole lot more reading and research before you start a build.One of the biggest mistakes that noobs make is start a build project without a really well thought plan. By this I mean what dial (start with a great dial and build around it). The Daytona, to do it right is a very, very expensive build, the parts are s scarce as hens teeth and are breathtakingly expensive. these are the builds that use the Val. 72 as the movement, a gen spec case. and a MQ or equivalent dial and a lot of genuine parts. There are other avenues, but they all require a decision at the beginning as to what you want to build. You can use a DW  case set, an A7750 movement and a DW dial, or as some suggested you can start with the cartel watch and build from there, although this build is by far the least expensive, you reach a dead end well before you have a really outstanding watch. Plan your build and build your plan. That will help to decrease the amount of "stuff" you buy, only to find that it doesn't fit. or is totally wrong for your build. That is one of the biggest mistakes folks make is to accumulate a box full of parts that are not compatible. Remember this if nothing else from what I've written here, just because it looks like it will fit, doesn't mean that it will. Watch tolerances are in thousands of an inch, all it takes is be off a couple of thousands to not fit.

The Newman Daytona project is by far one of the harder builds to do.

There are a few decent off the shelf reps but they all have their fair share of tells.

Just about any TD listed should be able to get you a decent off the shelf Daytona. Just be sure to look for one where the 6 sub dial isn't cut off at the bottom. The earlier versions seem to suffer from that.

I do like the newmans but the reps of it are crap IMO and messing with a chrono movement is beyond my ability so I just went with a decent off the shelf 6265 (tropical dial).

Howdy, folks.

I've only discovered the world of reps 2 months ago.

I've been a big fan of Subs, GMT's, and Day-Dates, but recently, this one has caught the very definition of "watch-love" for me.

Would you be able to please help me in building my dream watch?

I fell in love - the dial, the colour combination, and styling are the perfect combination for me.

It is this 6263. I am not too fussy about accuracy (I'd still love for it to be accurate, but at a minimal cost), but the dial and case thickness are what I want.

Thank you very much in advance for all your input.

there is one for sale in the sales forum, on the first page. It's almost identical to the photo in your post. The seller has a list of all the parts used in the build. Go over and take a look, also I believe that for what the parts cost, this one is a bargain., but still pretty darn expensive.