When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 Build First Pics

droptopman

Thank you for the kind words.

Yes modded Yuki case set with custom serial number for late 1966. Yuki Eta dial and hands that were re lumed and second hand shaped. CWP plexi. Gen crown and a gen MKIII insert. New Swiss 2824 ETA.

Trying to solve the pearl to complete.

Dbane did all the great work on this. Really want to thank him for all his help and work on this project. Super knowledgable, great skills and just a really good guy. We had many discussions on this build and he captured exactly what I was looking for.

This was to be a moderate budget build and for the most part I stayed on budget. Until this insert became available. I think the insert really fits/makes the build and was worth the extra expense. The result exceeds my expectations. I think she looks amazing.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Thanks Jack.

I have a 2846 also but needs a service and the 2824 is brand new. I am guessing this will get a lot of wear so sacrifice some accuracy for reliability and longevity. Plus oddly enough both the guys I usually seek advice on movements have had bad luck with 2846 so that played into the decision as well.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Very Nice 5513!

OT note on swisseta 2846...

Many of them are old and tired and need close inspection for worn parts (especially in the autowind assembly), c/o, plus a new mainspring. On 17 jewel models, the 17 jewel a/w assembly can be swapped out for one from a 25 jewel model to lower friction in the autowind assembly.

Be sure the balance jewels are separated, thoroughly cleaned, and properly oiled. Also be sure to clean and oil the pallet stones/escape wheel teeth. Make sure the watch is 'in beat' and the hairspring is level and not touching anything. Demagnetize it.

It's easy to understand why the world went to quartz watches.    :pimp:

Thank you for all the kind words.  Updated with a pearl.  She is on her way.  Should arrive right around my birthday which would be fitting since the serial number is a combination of my and my wife's birth dates but is period correct.  Actually got some points for including her in the build  :pimp:   

post-60288-0-80606100-1418054988_thumb.j

• Like 1

Pam 007, thank you for the nice words and this great photo.  The inserts are definitely brothers or cousins at least. You want to sell me that pearl  ;)

What year is yours?  The dial text is quite a bit different.  Beautiful time piece you have there.  I am very happy with this build and will give it plenty of love, but some day I will find the perfect 1966 5513 with a Bart Simpson gilt dial.  For now this will do rather nicely.  

Pam 007, thank you for the nice words and this great photo.  The inserts are definitely brothers or cousins at least. You want to sell me that pearl  ;)

What year is yours?  The dial text is quite a bit different.  Beautiful time piece you have there.  I am very happy with this build and will give it plenty of love, but some day I will find the perfect 1966 5513 with a Bart Simpson gilt dial.  For now this will do rather nicely.  

Ha !   the pearl doesn't even match your plots   :prop:

Our inserts are cousins for sure, made from the same plate.  

Mine is a 2 mil SN 1969 Last of the Meter First Dials

I think for the price, the Yuki case is terrific value. It takes a bit of work to reshape but it's a great base. Fact it can accept a gen movement is a bonus.

Well, it's in the mail. You should have it early next week.

It sure is a fat pig though, look at those lugs.  

Great job on the crown guards !!