When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big Crown Rolex Homage

mjmj

I think it's nice looking too. It looks closer to the 6538 than the project X heritage does.

I still prefer the project X over this. However, I look forward to seeing wrist shots of this on the internet when someone buys one. :)

Personally I like this much better than the HS1.

This is a true work of art.

Gilt dial and hands with a dome crystal and coin edge bezel To top it off, look at those bevels and lug holes. Much better fusion of modern/vintage with these details from the original big crown.

I think this is beautifully executed.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy

• Like 3

Personally I like this much better than the HS1.

This is a true work of art.

Gilt dial and hands with a dome crystal and coin edge bezel To top it off, look at those bevels. Much better fusion of modern/vintage with these details from the original big crown.

I think this is beautifully executed.

True true.

Cost estimate on this? $10k?

Could be more

I do like this one. If I were able to buy one, this one would be it., but in actuality, I'm very happy with this one, which is about 8% of the cost if this one is 10K, it's a limited addition of 300 and serves my purposes quite well.

post-327-0-07992700-1431786887_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-26915500-1431786903_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

cc, I agree, the project X looks very "contrived" I don't care for the "over aged" lume, the lack of lugholes, the modern sub dial that they relumed, the modern bezel, the flat crystal just "half baked"!! and I much prefer the gilt dial.

One thing to me that would make the homage better, milling off that Rolex,Rolex.Rolex on the rehaut. 

I think it looks fantastic. Will it be in limited quantity, ie way too expensive to justify?

OK, I just read the site. Looks amazing. It looks like there is engraving on the caseback. Any shots of the back? In the profile shot you can see a little bit of engraving but I can't make out what it is.

Edited by Mendota Explorer

Well, I'd still take cc33's red depth 6538 any day over this, but it sure looks great. Furthermore blurs the borde between gen/franken/homage, which perhaps is good for us.

Yes, I would definitely take the red depth dial 6538 that cc33 and Droptopman have over this. To be honest, it is probably a lot cheaper to build the 6538 than it will be to buy this one. At least with the 6538 there is direct history there. This one is a homage. Then again, I also agree that it is a good thing to see homages like this.

If money were no object I would get both. This one could withstand daily wear being made from modern caliber parts.

I signed up for the email list. Let's see how this plays out!

• Like 1

It's an interesting watch. I wonder how they get away with it- I would think that Rolex would try to put a stop to it, but who knows.

Engraving on the back looks like 'Tempus Machina'

I think I'm going to have to go for a HR 6538 Homage- just can't justify a $10K price tag for this watch!

Have to say I've been hesitating about a HS01 rep for a time, but this one looks really better and much more "inspiré" as a revival approche of a modern Big Crown.

Wonder about the price though... :g:

but I've been signing up for the newsletter... B)

Edited by djulink

My guess is that is a custom made dial, hands, bezel, and dome crystal. More complicated case work and one off custom parts would definitely drive up costs. The project x is only slightly modified using most of the original parts. It would only make sense that these would most likely cost more and if you really study them they should.

If I ever buy another modern watch, I will seriously consider this. I keep coming back to marvel at the pictures. It truly is a work of art.

• Like 1