When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2824 or 2836?

cavi

I wouldn't worry about it. The movements are similar in quality so get whichever watch works best for you. I've noticed on Breitlings before that one will take a 2824 and another dealer will have a 2836 in his model- I just figured that there were slight differences in the two cases to accommodate the two different movements. Could be different rep manufacturers.

You need to get the one that fits your case. Different height, different stem positions, not a "drop in" swap. When you deal with watches, you are talking hundreds of an inch or thousands of and inch. Just because it looks like it will fit, doesn't mean it will!! You can sometimes make things fit with different movement rings, spacers, etc. but if something is "made to fit" it will generally be more trouble free than something that is "adapted to fit".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The 2836 is a little easier to install a date wheel overlay on (after the day of the week parts have been removed) because there is a little bit more room between the date wheel and dial. Many of the earlier replicas that had actual Swiss Etas in them had the 2836 because they were easier to source and easier to mount the dwo. Most of the Swiss 2836 in replicas had the day of the week parts removed and had only the date or no date.

To make a higher quality GMT than an Asian 2836 etaclone GMT, use a Swiss 2836 and buy an Asian etaclone 2836 GMT from eBay etc and use the etaclone parts to convert the Swiss 2836 to GMT. The Swiss 2836 GMT in replicas use Asian parts for the GMT conversion anyway. Sell the etaclone and get some of the $$ back.

Back before Swiss Eta movement prices went crazy, the 2836 sometimes sold for less in quantity than the 2824 for some reason. Probably not as much demand for them in legitimate brands. I remember buying new 2836 for $65USD for 6 or more and the 2824 was $75. Now the current 2836 price is $225 and the 2824 is $189 (from ST). The 2834 with the day of the week above 12 is $205, the 2892 is $299 to $349 depending on decoration, and the 2893 GMT is $389. The 2894 three register chronograph is $795, the 7750 is $399 (pretty good price), and the 7753 is $595.