When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The biggest give away that you're wearing a fake IMO

busetinha

So one of the things that stands out to me most between my replica and genuine time pieces is the obnoxious amount of noise that the oscillating weights make on the replicas. I own 4 genuine automatic watches, none of which seem to be very noisy. The reps on the other hand, the noise that the spinning oscillating weight makes (especially when spinning fast after rapid wrist movements) can be heard from several feet away. I'm always very self conscious of how fast I move my hands when wearing a rep around other people; I've noticed that if I make a jerky movement with my hand, the oscillating weight tends to go crazy, which results in a banshee howl  coming from my watch (lol okay not that noisy, but still noticeable) The grade of replica movement doesn't really seem to make a difference with this issue either - they all make a lot of noise: 2813's, AETA's, ETA's, A7750's...all of them. Anyone know how to make them quieter????

Edited by busetinha

Guest rg21044

Get a rep Breitling Super Avenger. The gen is actually noisier than the rep. The B13 movement is so notoriously noisy that  Breitling aficionados even have a cutesy name for it...the Brietling wobble.

Get a rep Breitling Super Avenger. The gen is actually noisier than the rep. The B13 movement is so notoriously noisy that  Breitling aficionados even have a cutesy name for it...the Brietling wobble.

haha I suppose that's one solution to my problem - Mask the noise with a naturally noisy watch :)

IMHO the high grade genuine ETA's are much better. The last 3 that I bought new (2824's) were all nice and quiet and wind very smooth. Some of that might be they were purchased for builds and assembled by Matt who does his thing to them, but even comparing an old ETA in my DJ versus the brand new ETA in my LV Sub is noticeable.

I agree with you on otb reps and even some gen ETA's I have got in watches I bought. Noisy and do not wind as smooth.

So one of the things that stands out to me most between my replica and genuine time pieces is the obnoxious amount of noise that the oscillating weights make on the replicas. I own 4 genuine automatic watches, none of which seem to be very noisy. The reps on the other hand, the noise that the spinning oscillating weight makes (especially when spinning fast after rapid wrist movements) can be heard from several feet away. I'm always very self conscious of how fast I move my hands when wearing a rep around other people; I've noticed that if I make a jerky movement with my hand, the oscillating weight tends to go crazy, which results in a banshee howl  coming from my watch (lol okay not that noisy, but still noticeable) The grade of replica movement doesn't really seem to make a difference with this issue either - they all make a lot of noise: 2813's, AETA's, ETA's, A7750's...all of them. Anyone know how to make them quieter????

I agree with you partially, that SOME rep movements are noisy as hell.

But I have owned gens (ETA movements) that are equally noisy, and reps which are quiet as church mice, especially after a service. 

Generally, after a service and cleaning, I note that the movements are noise-free, whether shaken, or when wrist is moved with watch on.

So I would recommend you try getting watch serviced and note if you can hear the improvement. I always could after my watchsmith is done with mine.

Movements with ball bearing rotors (such as ETA and clones) make a lot of noise. It is the nature of the beat. Rolex, which uses a pin/jewelled bushing rotor is whisper quiet, again nature of the beast. I asked a tech at Breitling a while back regarding the noise from the rotor. I was told that the ETA based watches were just loud by nature. They (Breitling) had tried for years to design that aspect away but couldn't do it. Live with it or buy a Rolex.

• Like 1

the gen Rolex can be as noisy as the rest .as previously explained, an oiling and service will cure the matter.

to me the most obvious tell on a Rolex is the gen has very smooth edges whereas the rep has very severe and almost sharp edges IMO

I find it helps to wear my reps around my wife.... she always drowns out the excessive noise... or rather she becomes it...

Though I agree with most points above regarding servicing and other gens... ;)

Edited by PeteM
  • Like 1

Otb DG 2813 and A7750 I agree but together with a "used to them controlled wrist" and some Moebius oil on the rotor bearings (doesn´t need a complete service) it improves immensely. And it´s always worth doing.

ETA-clones are miles better in this specific aspect, even not comparable.

Very generally speaking I see more tells in overall shine and crispness, sometimes crystal clarity, but this You notice in a side-by-side not so much as standalone.

I find it helps to wear my reps around my wife.... she always drowns out the excessive noise... or rather she becomes it...

Though I agree with most points above regarding servicing and other gens... ;)

haha that made me laugh so hard