When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

vintage 6536/8

irate03

Just finished this little build. I wanted to make a 6536 small crown and a few months ago managed to source a gen vintage crown. I couldn't get an old crown tube so I bought a twin lock with the right chamfered base from cousins UK and had to drill out the centre for the spring loaded tube to fit through. Case was drilled out and re-threaded. I also shaped the chamfered edges on the lugs and also took away some metal under the lugs to create a thinner more curved case profile.

Bottom line is that the 6536 was a very thin case and nobody makes anything like it. And to re create the case accurately the lug holes would need filling and re-drilling in a slightly different place after the bottom and top of the case had been milled down. A massive job and not one I'm in a position to do.

It's a tiger concept V2 case, pain in the [censored] to source parts for because there is a lack of any replacement plexis.  I ended up using a cousins plexi which gave me a low dome. Hands are from a place called Ric's watch repair, they are flat sub hands made for 1570 movement, so I had to broach the holes to fit the asian movement I have at the moment, I'm waiting for a Swiss vintage ETA to be serviced that i'll put in for a truly nice finish. insert is from raffles, bleached so the coated layer comes off and fades. Dial is a re-lumed Helenarou from RWG member Big Dazza, cheers mate. I had to resize the dial to fit the TC case, from 29mm down to 28mm and in the process some of the matt spray coating came of, I cleaned a lot of the rest off but decided to leave some around the edge as it looked like the gloss dial was starting to age and fade and I liked the effect. Clearly the only major flaw and issue in this build is the depth rating, the 6536 had 100m / 330ft text on the dial, and nobody apart for Yuki does this, and the Yuki dial is 37mm which would drop straight through the bezel. Finally I added an "exclamation mark" under the 6 marker. I've seen these gen dials and thought it was a tiny detail i'd love to include, and a few days ago I found a gen 6536 picture with one of these dials.

I hope you like it.

oyster_set_01.jpg

oyster_set_04.jpg

oyster_set_05.jpg

oyster_set_06.jpg

oyster_set_07.jpg

oyster_set_08.jpg

oyster_set_09.jpg

oyster_set_10.jpg

oyster_set_11.jpg

oyster_set_12.jpg

Edited by irate03
  • Like 4

Bravo!  Very nice work with this one.  I absolutely love the texture and the aging effects on the dial and hands.  Did Big Dazza also do those hands for you?  If he did not, how did you produce that aged effect on them?

The case looks fantastic.  In your post, you mention that the case work was more than you could handle. Who ended up doing the work for you?  They did a fantastic job.

This is a beautiful piece.  Enjoy it.

I did all the case and hands work, I only meant that if I wanted the case to be even thinner to the correct thickness it would need machine work. I thinned the underside of the lugs by hand. The hands were finely sanded then treated with a mixture of salt and vinegar to oxidise and give the colour, then they were lumed by me, I have a nice lume mixture that gives a puffy matt finish.

I did all the case and hands work, I only meant that if I wanted the case to be even thinner to the correct thickness it would need machine work. I thinned the underside of the lugs by hand. The hands were finely sanded then treated with a mixture of salt and vinegar to oxidise and give the colour, then they were lumed by me, I have a nice lume mixture that gives a puffy matt finish.

Wow.  You did such a nice job!  Very impressive work. I love the little crack in the seconds hand! I am going to experiment with reluming a couple of dials and hands this winter to get my 1680 right and also to start another project.  Can you share your lume recipe via PM?

Edited by Mendota Explorer

Ditto.

Oops.

read through my explanation " Clearly the only major flaw and issue in this build is the depth rating, the 6536 had 100m / 330ft text on the dial, and nobody apart for Yuki does this, and the Yuki dial is 37mm which would drop straight through the bezel."

Apart from a custom made dial the only ready made option I can find is Yuki and that is a 27mm (gen size) dial, the opening in the Tiger Concept V2 case is 27mm so the dial would drop though, you could back it with something but likely have an unsightly edge visible. So I have taken a little artistic license and built a slightly thick 6536 with 6538 depth rated dial. Given that so many vintage rolex's have the same authenticity issues as old panerai's with mix and match parts, I decided it would be something I could overlook.........for now :g:

Ah, good explanation and good reasoning.  There was a 6538 on Fleabay last night that was "all gen" except for a dial that was poorly repainted and hands that were replaced, and an Athaya crown.  But otherwise all original, priced at $43k plus.

Ah, good explanation and good reasoning.  There was a 6538 on Fleabay last night that was "all gen" except for a dial that was poorly repainted and hands that were replaced, and an Athaya crown.  But otherwise all original, priced at $43k plus.

There are two 6538's on there now, one looks a bit iffy on the dial, the other looks like the engravings were machined yesterday. and the bezel is new.