When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scammers

Mike on a bike

Guys it's that most wonderful time of year when my PM box overflows w/ scammer reports . Yes my friends the Holidays is peak season as money gets tight and guys both short time members and long time get jammed up and pull a fast one. So be careful pay the F**ken PP fees and cover yourself for Pete's sake! The mods on other boards are busy also we talk, so be careful this is all over the rep fora.

This is pinned above here , read if you are new to the game:   https://rwg.cc/topic/177124-buyingselling-read

• Like 1

As Mike said, pay the PayPal fees, and give yourself a bit of "peace of mind ". Also remember, the vast majority of buyers and sellers are dead honest. Do the good guys a good turn, and for goodness sakes don't put ANYTHING in the comments box. PayPal obviously has some high powered software that flags anything that has been programmed in like the initials of all the forums, the words replica ,rep and who knows what else.

If you feel like the deal is going south, let Mike know before you initiate a PayPal dispute. Sometimes it's and honest problem and a few PM's between the seller and Mike can get everything straight.

Another thing, due diligence on the part of the buyer can prevent a lot of misery and problems down the road.

This is the time of year when the scammers here, on other forums ( rep and genuine) are looking to make a fast buck. Being careful deliberate and fact checking will go a long way toward stopping the scammers in their tracks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The festive season is also a season for scams because the usual wariness is lower as the mood for buying elevates.. Do not let your festive be robbed my fellow members. Keep the eyes wide open and try not to send pp gifts for guys you do not know well enough.

+1

Pay the 4% to protect yourself. If the seller will only accept a gift payment - ask yourself why? 

Actually this works both ways. I am both a seller and a buyer. As a buyer, I would be willing to send payment as gift to a seller whom I know well enough.. it does save me 4%.(Though Paypal does not offer the gift option in my country) As a seller, I would insist on paypal gift or bank transfer when selling to a new or unknown guy, especially for high value watches. In this hobby, both the sellers and buyers are entitled to protection. Caveat Emptor remains the best advice when trading.

Actually this works both ways. I am both a seller and a buyer. As a buyer, I would be willing to send payment as gift to a seller whom I know well enough.. it does save me 4%.(Though Paypal does not offer the gift option in my country) As a seller, I would insist on paypal gift or bank transfer when selling to a new or unknown guy, especially for high value watches. In this hobby, both the sellers and buyers are entitled to protection. Caveat Emptor remains the best advice when trading.

Yes, sort of. As a new seller (or buyer) you have to prove yourself. With a experienced seller (or buyer) I have no problem with a gift payment. Indeed it does work both ways. 

Yes, sort of. As a new seller (or buyer) you have to prove yourself. With a experienced seller (or buyer) I have no problem with a gift payment. Indeed it does work both ways. 

For exmple, Mr Kernow, if you were to list a watch for sale stating "paypal gift unless I know you", I would be happy to send you gift based on your individual reputation, if I had been able to. No second thoughts. IF it is, however a new guy with 5 posts asking the same for the same watch at the same price, I would stay away. 

We are a small and tightly knitted community where one gets known quickly for the way he is (or isn't). I recently had a member PM me asking me if I was interested in a modded AP ROO (he listed the mods with no pics) for $1500, payable only via transfer. I told him in no uncertain terms, albeit politely where he could stuff that watch.

For exmple, Mr Kernow, if you were to list a watch for sale stating "paypal gift unless I know you", I would be happy to send you gift based on your individual reputation, if I had been able to. No second thoughts. IF it is, however a new guy with 5 posts asking the same for the same watch at the same price, I would stay away. 

We are a small and tightly knitted community where one gets known quickly for the way he is (or isn't). I recently had a member PM me asking me if I was interested in a modded AP ROO (he listed the mods with no pics) for $1500, payable only via transfer. I told him in no uncertain terms, albeit politely where he could stuff that watch.

You've hit the nail on the head my friend. I have bought and sold watches here with both gift and normal payments. During my first purchase here someone tried to scam me - but it wasn't a gift payment so I recovered my money via a PayPal dispute. The seller had asked for gift, but luckily I paid the fees. As always buy the seller/buyer first and foremost. 

Guest rg21044

This is true. I ask for pp gift not to set up a scam but to protect myself from being scammed. 

Edited by rg21044

Thanks Mike.  I know these cases are very time consuming for you and appreciate all the work you do for us.  

Good information here.  As others have stated I use gift all the time with friends and people I deal with regularly, pay the fees for those I do not know.  I generally request gift from new members as the seller is as just as much risk as the buyer.  Last couple of sales, I was very careful about who I sold them too.  In fact, I just waited until someone I knew wanted the watches.  Even if it takes longer it is worth it to me to deal with someone I know, especially on the higher end pieces.  Kind of sad as the noobs need to get transactions completed to build their profile, but just too risky anymore to take a chance on someone I do not know.     

Thanks for reminding us Mike, all too easy to get caught out not just here but on the other forums too, people seem to negate the basics online and forget to cover themselves at times, like the guys have said buy the seller not the watch ;)

Edited by sgtguk

Yes Mike it is The way but still i was a new guy once and my first time here you sold me a watch with not much feedback or postcount and helped with transhipping trough AJ who is a great fellow and helped me more Then i Can repay with stuff too 

hell you even borrowed me money when  i had to wait for PP to work and helped me out bigtime ( family  problems ) once Will never forget and The kindness here sebarate us from Any where Else on The net and why i enjoy being here its a gentlemans club with a open invitation to The World 

where ofcourse they Will have to show they are good guys 

But we just have to be smart with The new guys joining even some of The new kids have become valuable members here after i came here 

And lastly merry Christmas to us all :) ! 

Nobody likes being scammed by a scammer, there's a-plenty of them around just itchin to take your hard earned money too. They tend to hide themselves very well too

They certainly do.  Now, if you want to buy a gen AAA+ Rollex Submariner send $100 gift payment to kernowRWG@gmail.com :D

Hi Mike,

I totally agree with you on the paypal fee as it has saved me a number of times.  But I find that a lot of sellers on this board only accept payment as a gift. I have now bought two watches with in a week and had to use that option.  What do you recommend for a new member as myself regarding this? Fortunately I dealt with highly upstanding members here both times but even then you never know when a person may go rogue.

Dmitry

Dmitiry you are playing the odds " Fortunately I dealt with highly upstanding members " this increases your odds of not getting screwed so that is the way to go till you are known. Buy the seller not the watch.

Edited by Mike on a bike

Hi Mike,

I totally agree with you on the paypal fee as it has saved me a number of times.  But I find that a lot of sellers on this board only accept payment as a gift. I have now bought two watches with in a week and had to use that option.  What do you recommend for a new member as myself regarding this? Fortunately I dealt with highly upstanding members here both times but even then you never know when a person may go rogue.

Dmitry

As with most communities, established members have certain advantage or prerogatives over new ones when it comes to trade matters.

There is nothing much you (or other new members like you) could do except stay on and earn your trust in the community, gaining reputation, feedback and most importantly trust from the rest of the members. Regarding established members going rogue, that is of course possible and has happened before. But the risk that a new member poses is a lot more salient.