When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch of the Year 2015

panerai153

Ladies and Gentlemen!!!! We are trying to stimulate more activity on this our forum. The Moderator crew is exploring quite a few new ideas to hopefully increase participation here. One idea that we are instituting is a "Watch of the Year".

What we would like is to have members nominate a watch that they feel is the best out of the box replica.

The rules are very simple. The watch must have been introduced in calendar year 2015. This can be a completely new watch, or and updated version of one that has been on sale before. What we would like to have each member who nominates a watch, write a brief description of why you believe the watch should be the watch of the year. We will tabulate the results after the nomination period is over two weeks from today and list all the candidates. Each member can vote for their choice. Voting will be open for two weeks and at that time, we will announce RWG's Watch of the Year 2015.

Thank you to all who participate here on RWG. We want to make sure that RWG remains the most tolerant, member friendly forum, where all who observe the rules are welcome. And we remain the forum where everyone feels welcome and is part of the family.

Not sure it you want us to post nominations here or PM you, so I did both!!!

I'll nominate the PAM 087.   It immediately became one of my go-to pieces, because of its presence on the wrist.   I cannot think of a better made piece in my collection, or one of recent issue that matches the quality of this one.   Even the strap that came with it is nice enough to keep on!

JF AP Diver V7, stainless steel. Superior antireflex coating on the crystal and loupe and a better inner bezel improving an already fantastic replica. It still retains the asian ETA 2824-2 movement which is reliable and can be serviced or replaced. 

TC Yachtmaster with KH dial. The best Yachtmaster with a supreme dial and TC´s superior craftmanship and finish.

I have to say... Noob v6s. Why, well.. It's amazing. Being able to achieve something other factories ain't even close to. 

Goodies

Bracelet and SEL-fitment and the clasp. Yummy.

Bezel inserts and the pearl.

Rehaut engravings.

Case specs: "Gen"-size. And adding the 3135-option for those wanting to Franken.

Nasties

- Case specs could have been good and gotten better from v3 and not back a step with v4/v5

- Cheating customers by using old v5-parts on the v6s and pretending like nothing had happened (p****s me off, much, very muchymuch)

- The dial is still just average. But that's easily remedied by switching to a BP dial, and having it relumed in real Superluminova

- The hands... Same as above. But same solution. TC LV v2 hands and reluming them in real Superluminova

So in short. 350 USD + 80 USD parts + 120 USD relume and you have a really nice Sub-C.

Throw in a gen spec crystal, or a AR-modded aftermarket crystal and it's in Super-replica territory.

550 USD you say is a lot? No... I mean... Just an MBW old-style-sub with bracelet is there. And you haven't even started modding.

?i=http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com

Edited by hologramet

Those are great recommendations; I think we should also put up a photo with our nomination, the photo that stopped you dead when you first saw it. The photo that made you Lose sleep. So let's see them, gents!

15 hours ago, docthor said:

Well...I'd say the H factory Avenger Seawolf v2 is one great rep ootb along with the PAM 087. No need to change anything on them other than a swiss movement for reliability :)

I second the v2 seawolf.   Have it in yellow with eta from fat panda.   The bracelet is very close to gen but I ended up putting a gen rubber with gen deployant to really put it over the top.   I'll post pics later 

H fac v2 seawolf 

image.jpeg

I would vote for the JF V7 AP ROO Diver.

On 4/25/2016 at 9:12 AM, panerai153 said:

Ladies and Gentlemen!!!! We are trying to stimulate more activity on this our forum. The Moderator crew is exploring quite a few new ideas to hopefully increase participation here. One idea that we are instituting is a "Watch of the Year".

What we would like is to have members nominate a watch that they feel is the best out of the box replica.

The rules are very simple. The watch must have been introduced in calendar year 2015. This can be a completely new watch, or and updated version of one that has been on sale before. What we would like to have each member who nominates a watch, write a brief description of why you believe the watch should be the watch of the year. We will tabulate the results after the nomination period is over two weeks from today and list all the candidates. Each member can vote for their choice. Voting will be open for two weeks and at that time, we will announce RWG's Watch of the Year 2015.

Thank you to all who participate here on RWG. We want to make sure that RWG remains the most tolerant, member friendly forum, where all who observe the rules are welcome. And we remain the forum where everyone feels welcome and is part of the family.

Big A, could we perhaps start a poll for this so that members can vote? I can help you tabulate a list of the contenders from 2015..

This is a great idea. Trouble is I like so many watches it's hard to name one. I'm going to go with Noob V6s, my reasons are that Rolex is by a long, long way the most popular watch on the forums according to the number of posts. Those of us into vintage tend to have OCD on detail and therefore are only happy with franken watches, so I figure a modern Rolex that is great out of the box is going to please the maximum number of members, sell in huge numbers, attract new members to the hobby and give Noob the profits to reinvest. A win for everyone.