When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

FRANKEN 5513 SOLD FOR $6k?!

Avenue

I had sent a few pictures over to a well known watch dealer of my 5513 gilt PCG... just for masturbatory pleasure - and he offered me $17,000.00 for it. Certainly made my day lol.

Now obviously had I sent it to him, I'd have gotten spoken to and he'd have probably been pretty angry - lol, and rightfully so. I'm not one to do that. 

eBay is *dangerous* for buying vintage Rolex -anything-

9 hours ago, 508-Fanatic said:

I had sent a few pictures over to a well known watch dealer of my 5513 gilt PCG... just for masturbatory pleasure - and he offered me $17,000.00 for it. Certainly made my day lol.

Now obviously had I sent it to him, I'd have gotten spoken to and he'd have probably been pretty angry - lol, and rightfully so. I'm not one to do that. 

eBay is *dangerous* for buying vintage Rolex -anything-

Crazy right.. Must feel good though, obviously; you won't send it to him nor actually sell it, but it must feel good that a well known watch dealer doesn't spot a flaw in a rep/franken. Well done. :)

The thing is.. this watch actually got sold for 6k$. The person who buys it will never ever know that it's just a Franken, unless they go to Rolex for a Service.

The Ebay seller seems to be a pretty reputable seller, I'll keep his profile in my mind to check it out sometimes for a good laugh. :1a:

7 hours ago, newswire said:

So key is a gen movement .... Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the rest is perfect, apparently yes.. If it breathes Rolex the rest will be considered Rolex as well; in this case. 

9 hours ago, dbane883 said:

Assuming dial is gen gilt, it's worth $6k alone.

Oops. Just read the dial was refinished. Yeah. It's a head scratcher.

That's what I thought first, but it's actually just a piece of junk, funny right? 

Absolutely it was a good ego boost :)  It does seem that if it has a 1520 or 1570 in it people are apt to snatch it up, almost regardless. Mine at least has a gen MKII bezel, gen dial and crown/tube. The mid-case is the only thing non-gen on mine. Even case-back is gen.

I'm just amazed that some fool bought that watch for $6K. I've been keeping an eye on tonnywatches' dials for a while now. I'm kinda surprised he'd try to sell a franken for that much- wonder what will happen when the buyer figures out he got taken. The only thing old on that watch is the movement- insert is recent service insert, crown could be a 702 and worth $100, maybe $150...  I guess I'm disappointed in tonnywatches.

• Like 2

I'm just amazed that some fool bought that watch for $6K. I've been keeping an eye on tonnywatches' dials for a while now. I'm kinda surprised he'd try to sell a franken for that much- wonder what will happen when the buyer figures out he got taken. The only thing old on that watch is the movement- insert is recent service insert, crown could be a 702 and worth $100, maybe $150...  I guess I'm disappointed in tonnywatches.

Why? He was totally honest in the descriptions. Don't hate the player hate the game.

The watch was represented as "Dial has been retouched professionally." "The case is custom made." 

The dial may or may not be a 'retouched' genuine dial...hard to tell. Give it the benefit of a doubt.

If the case was totally unsigned it would be eBay-Ok because the patent on the case design has expired. The catch is this case back is trademarked. That is an eBay-No-No.

Btw...how many 1520 you see with a Dxxxxx serial number? Maybe it is a 1570/75 (D for date) main plate with a complete 1520 flat spring whirleygig assembly and auto wind top plate. Very few 1520/25 have serial numbers. I say 'very few' although I have not seen one.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2016 at 2:32 PM, alligoat said:

I have a feeling Tony may soon receive a letter, of an official nature, from Rolex SA.

Even though he was honest about the dial and the case, I still believe that selling a franken like this is basically wrong. This is not a homage to the Rolex 5513, it's a watch that has a "Rolex" dial and a case and Caseback that have Rolex markings. All that is meant to deceive the buyer. Which brings up another point, the buyer. Who in their right mind would shell out 6k for a watch that the seller has described as not an all genuine Rolex watch. I'm afraid that he is going to be a disappointed sucker when he takes this watch to any vintage Rolex expert. It would be a hoot to see this guy post his watch with some good quality photos on the VRF!! He'll get a real accurate appraisal pretty darn quick.

Like Freddy said, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a letter from Rolex. Also, I lay some blame at the feet of EBay. When someone posts and expensive watch that by description is not genuine, EBay should be way more proactive in shutting down these listings and warning the seller that any more "shady" listings and they are banned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know, but maybe the buyer didn't get suckered, maybe they can read and know what they have got. If someone can't build a franken, has no idea where to start and has never heard of this place, where else are they going to get a gilt 5513 for anywhere near that price? As genuine pieces become ever more expensive I can see really good frankens becoming valuable in their own right. 

Not saying I think it is right or wrong. In the end it is the market that decides that and anyway I have never sold a watch in my life.

It happened with cars. It is easy to sell a franken Ferrari, fully declared as such, for up to half a million.

There is a special feel to this little community. I have developed a great deal of faith in the decency of the regular posters, yourself included Micky. Unfortunately the world is mostly not like that and many people see a degree of deception as acceptable. I am quietly looking out for a birth year 5513, I'm not in a rush but seriously intend to buy one. Even on the webpages of well known dealers I see adverts which wax on about the condition of the dial, without ever actually disclosing that it is a later service dial and not gilt. I also see red subs, where the dial may well be genuine, but the case number puts it squarely into the white sub period. Only because I have gained a ton of knowledge here am I able to see such things.

• Like 1