When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Bracelets...

automatico

VRM had a 1959 catalog for sale and it shows some bracelets of that era.  Since some of these bracelets may have not been exclusive to rolex maybe they can be found on other brands of vintage watches today.  The styles without hoods might be easier to find and they would be good for early explorer, AK etc projects.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1471783110/FS-+Rare+1959+Rolex+Oyster+catalogue+featuring+6541%2C+6542%2C+5504+Explorer%2C+DD%2C+DJ+etc.+%26gt%3B%26gt%3B%26gt%3B

2 hours ago, ogladio said:

Hate these catalogs. It's pure agony browsing all the fantastic watches of this Rolex era - and then realize you could have picked out a 6542 gmt, a gilt explorer, a 6541 milgauss and an epic sub for maybe like £250??! Depressing.

Remember that, back then, that 250 would buy you 1/4 of a new car, which is 1 of the reasons those Rolex watches are relatively rare (ie, valuable) today.

10-12 years ago you could still get a 5513 or 14060 for $2-$3k

saw a 70s 5513 for sale on vrf when the forum started asking $1700 or best offer. bracelet alone is now close to that and a phong 5513 build would exceed that.

air kings could be had for $1200 and no one wanted that dominos one.

now speedmasters and every rolex is creepin up. the precision is still an ok price

I bought a two week old used 1985 16800 for $1050 back in 1986. The jewelry store let me put down 25% and then monthly payment with no interest for a year. Rolex007-1.jpg

Service dial (SL) and hands because back in the day (before I know anything) I wanted it to glow again. Yes, I was stupid enough to loose the original T dial.

Born in the 90s! Dang. Everything I own was made before you were born.

I used to work security at a concert venue. There was a whole lotta great music happening, now weirdly captured on CDs. Boy it sounded good live.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2016 at 3:43 AM, freddy333 said:

Remember that, back then, that 250 would buy you 1/4 of a new car, which is 1 of the reasons those Rolex watches are relatively rare (ie, valuable) today.

I think you miss something, even when adjusted for inflation, old rolexes were cheaper when new than new Rolex prices today.    So Rolex got more exclusive and raised their prices over the years.    So it is kind of depressing to look at old catalog prices.

" I think you miss something, even when adjusted for inflation, old rolexes were cheaper when new than new Rolex prices today."

True.  I use an online inflation calculator to compare yesterday's prices to today's prices.  I bought a new manual wind 6430 Speedking on a lizard strap in 1972 for $115 and allowing for inflation it should retail around $1000 today (actually $662) but if it was still made today the same watch (with sapphire crystal) would probably retail for $3000 to $4000.  A steel DJ was $300 to $350 back then so today they should be around $2000 to $3000 but they are over $6k.

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

https://www.minus4plus6.com/PriceEvolution.php

True.  I use an online inflation calculator to compare yesterday's prices to today's prices.  I bought a new manual wind 6430 Speedking on a lizard strap in 1972 for $115 and allowing for inflation it should retail around $1000 today (actually $662) but if it was still made today the same watch (with sapphire crystal) would probably retail for $3000 to $4000.  A steel DJ was $300 to $350 back then so today they should be around $2000 to $3000 but they are over $6k.

You didn't take into account that the US$ has declined significantly in value relative to the Swiss Franc over the past 45+ years. Over that time the exchange rate has roughly gone from 4.0000 down to 1.0000 (parity). So the dollar is now worth 1/4 of what it was in 1970-72

9ad39b44018c154777b0487516c7fbeb.jpg

PS: I was a currency trader for almost 20 years.

"You didn't take into account that the US$ has declined significantly in value relative to the Swiss Franc over the past 45+ years. Over that time the exchange rate has roughly gone from 4.0000 down to 1.0000 (parity). So the dollar is now worth 1/4 of what it was in 1970-72."

I only took into account what (today's vintage) rolex watches listed for in USD (in the USA) when new vs what a similar model retails for now.  I am probably one of the few on the forum who was working full time when the 5512/13, 1600, 1680, 1016, 1019, V72 Daytona etc were for sale new in stores...they cost a lot back then but I could afford one if I wanted it bad enough, but looking back I bought the wrong models. 

Otoh, all the new models cost too much today for me to take seriously.  After all, why should a common steel DJ with maybe $50 USD in materials and a few hours in production (one year...Ha!) sell for almost as much as a Harley D Sportster?  It's insanity...imho.   :partytime:

14 minutes ago, automatico said:

After all, why should a common steel DJ with maybe $50 USD in materials and a few hours in production (one year...Ha!) sell for almost as much as a Harley D Sportster?  It's insanity...imho.   :partytime:

For the same reason that an original Warhol print costs multiple millions of dollars or a new Ferrari costs hundreds of thousands - brand recognition, supply  & demand.

"For the same reason that an original Warhol print costs multiple millions of dollars or a new Ferrari costs hundreds of thousands - brand recognition, supply  & demand."

Right you are. 

Otoh, if I robbed a bank and had $1M in an environmentally friendly paper bag, I would buy a Sport Hog to make the getaway because a Ferrari would probably break down, a Warhol is not water resistant, and a rolex is not fast enough (-4/+6).

Characters with a Warhol or Ferrari hanging on their wall will not return my calls for some reason.   :pimp: