When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Apple Iphone

deltatahoe

I thought i read about a product they had out for awhile. even if it was december 2006 :) Apple didn't register it and cisco was in the market :)

Apple registered it in September 2006, three months before Cisco tried to revive their Trademark. Prior to that, the company Cisco bought had an iPhone that they discontinued in 1999 or 2000.

I'm not saying it's 100% certain Cisco has lost this battle (I believe they have, however) but it's definitely not a clear-cut victory for them either.

Just to clarify, here's a timeline of events:

1997, Infogear releases the iPhone.

1999, Infogear trademarks the term iPhone.

2000, Cisco buys Infogear. They discontinue the iPhone.

2005, The iPhone trademark expires. Cisco has 6 months to renew it.

2006, May, Two weeks before the six months is up, Cisco renews the trademark using the photo I posted earlier.

2006, September, Apple registers the trademark iPhone through a dummy company called Ocean Telecom Services LLC.

2006, December, Cisco rebrands a Linksys phone the iPhone.

2007, January, Apple announces the iPhone.

The thorn in Cisco's side is the fact that they didn't actually have a product called iPhone for the entirety of their ownership of the trademark and didn't release one inside the renewal period. They now have to go into court defending a trademark after the fact when they didn't adequately defend during it's lifetime.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look I'm not trying to buy in to this at all as I am totally ignorant of the facts surronding the case but Puggy you posted this....

2005, The iPhone trademark expires. Cisco has 6 months to renew it.

2006, May, Two weeks before the six months is up, Cisco renews the trademark using the photo I posted earlier.

Does that not mean that regardless of the sticker on the outside of the box trick that they did in fact renew their trademark within the required timeframe and so are still the legal holders of that trademark?

Ken

I read on Wikipedia that the front company filed an application for registration in September 2006, but do you know whether the registration was actually granted or if it still in the process of being considered?

I checked the US patents office and yes, it was granted.

Go here and select "Search" and enter iPhone.

Trademark 77007808 is "Live" and is Apple's iPhone trademark.

Trademark 75076573 is "Live" and is Cisco's iPhone trademark.

Does that not mean that regardless of the sticker on the outside of the box trick that they did in fact renew their trademark within the required timeframe and so are still the legal holders of that trademark?

See, that's the problem. It's not clear. They didn't have an actual product called the iPhone. They merely pretended to have, and that makes their defence very dubious.

As for the german market, at 500Euros including a contract, they will sell maybe 1.000 Units. Germans are not used to buy phones that are that expensive

Really?

http://www.amazon.de/gp/bestsellers/ce-de/...4895550-8315406

The number one seller on Amazon Germany in the Electronics section is a pre-order for an iPhone at a thousand Euros.

Would you care to revise your statement about how well it'll sell there?

• 1 year later...

Let's revisit this thread, just so we can laugh at Slay.

As for the german market, at 500Euros including a contract, they will sell maybe 1.000 Units. Germans are not used to buy phones that are that expensive

On release, November 9th, 2007, T-Mobile in Germany sold 10,000 on the first day. Let's see what yesterday's sales figures give us. I love it when people are so outrageously wrong. It makes me giggle.

Let's revisit this thread, just so we can laugh at Slay.

On release, November 9th, 2007, T-Mobile in Germany sold 10,000 on the first day. Let's see what yesterday's sales figures give us. I love it when people are so outrageously wrong. It makes me giggle.

How about you mention that the iPhone sold MISERABLY in Germany, it sold so miserable that they had to lower the price tremendously. They started giving it away for ONE Euro (and that was the first gen iPhone!).

The old iPhone DID NOT meet ANY of the expectation in Germany AT ALL

Maybe YOU also mention, that germany has more than 1/4 of the population of the United States, and Apple sold close to 300.000 Units on the first day in the United States. 4x 10.000 is not 300.000, not even close my friend!

Maybe you also mention that after the 1st day, the hype was almost gone in germany?

Only a retard takes my metaphorical "only 1000 units" out of context like you just did... get the facts next time before you start a pissing contest.

How about we all start laughing AT YOU now? ;)B)

Edited by Admin

because it was NOT a success in germany. They even said it didnt even meet expectations in the United States (even though I think it was a success in america, but americans were used to cell phone plans that cost 50$ or more and phones that cost 300 or 400$ with a contract).

They also lowered the price tremendously after a few weeks.

That gives me another idea, in germany they started selling it at the lower price and they still sold 10.000 units only (1st day). In the US on the other hand, the price was 600$, yet they sold 300.000.

You cannot disprove ANY of my facts, you dont even try. Are you trying the "i'm not even trying to address the issue, I just go on to blobble and hope noone will notice"-chewbaka defense?

Whats next? You dig out a monkey and say "look at this silly monkey"?

I agree with thomasng :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I hadn't realised how much of a fanboy Pugwash is !

And Slay... doesn't he have an iPhone? I'm still waiting on the new Blackberry.... don't like the idea of non-removable battery and memory storage (as well as having to use iTunes). I guess I'll wait and see if it grows on me.

And finally, whatever happened with the trademark case?

Not really a fanboy per se, but I don't understand stubbornness to the point of "Oh, it's Apple so it smells" when the iPhone is quite blatantly a quantum leap ahead of the others. Where it may not be stuffed with all the features-you'd-never-use as the competition, it wins on sheer usability and people just blanketly denying its usefulness because they have created this form-over-function myopic view of Apple that history will most likely refer to as being against progress. :)

It's very easy to mistake educated impressedness with rabid fandom, and nothing winds up the pundit (me) more than just writing him off as a religious fanatic. :D

Not really a fanboy per se, but I don't understand stubbornness to the point of "Oh, it's Apple so it smells" when the iPhone is quite blatantly a quantum leap ahead of the others. Where it may not be stuffed with all the features-you'd-never-use as the competition, it wins on sheer usability and people just blanketly denying its usefulness because they have created this form-over-function myopic view of Apple that history will most likely refer to as being against progress. :)

It's very easy to mistake educated impressedness with rabid fandom, and nothing winds up the pundit (me) more than just writing him off as a religious fanatic. :D

I only came across this thread yesterday for the first time... continued reading it all and finished earlier today... if you read how you respond and defend Apple, you'll see that you come across as that which you don't like.

As for the phone itself, I'd want to give it a trial before taking it on ... unless they have a version with an external memory card slot, removable battery, and no forced reliance on iTunes! It's great to be able to use my phone memory as a mass storage device... I rarely bother carrying around my 2gb "pen" drive anymore, as the 8gb on my phone is far bigger and quicker (with the USB card reader).

I gotta say I liked the haptic feedback on the LG Viewty when I saw it last year. I'm still not sure if a touchscreen phone is for me though.... I really like iPhone's large screen though. Great for webpages, movies etc. the one on my n82 is 2.4-2.6inches (can't remember the exact specification) which is bigger than usual. Been fine watching music videos, tv shows, football etc on it so far. I guess there is something to having the latest new gadget even if it's unnecessary ;)

I only came across this thread yesterday for the first time... continued reading it all and finished earlier today... if you read how you respond and defend Apple, you'll see that you come across as that which you don't like.

Yes, reading it in one sitting does give that impression. Now check the date stamps.

As for the phone itself, I'd want to give it a trial before taking it on ... unless they have a version with an external memory card slot, removable battery, and no forced reliance on iTunes! It's great to be able to use my phone memory as a mass storage device... I rarely bother carrying around my 2gb "pen" drive anymore, as the 8gb on my phone is far bigger and quicker (with the USB card reader).

Yeah, but none of those is what the iPhone is about. You're probably better off with something like the N95 with more features, if features are what you're looking for.

I agree with thomasng :thumbsupsmileyanim:

And Slay... doesn't he have an iPhone? I'm still waiting on the new Blackberry.... don't like the idea of non-removable battery and memory storage (as well as having to use iTunes). I guess I'll wait and see if it grows on me.

And finally, whatever happened with the trademark case?

Yes, I have an iPhone, and I love it very very much, but (and thats a big BUTT!) I paid 300Euros for it and I have my own contract (which is much much cheaper than t-mobile).

I dont like beeing forced into an expensive contract for 2 years. Especially not if I'm paying so much money for the phone!

Can I not have this phone and say that it wont be a success at 400Euros + at least 50Euros/month for the contract? Please keep in mind, 50Euros a month buys you 50 Minutes ONLY in germany. Its expensive and it was not a success. No wonder why.

Who pays 50Euros for 50 Minutes + Internet? I have an HSUPA flatrate (7.2mbit/s 3G) for 39Euros and for 10 Euros I get at least 100 Minutes. So I'm paying 50Euros for 100minutes and unlimited 3G (and not unlimited EDGE - which is like 0,3mbit/s -) AND I can use the data flatrate on my notebook aswell. AND I have unlimited IN-calling.

T-Mobile are a bunch of bloodsuckers (in germany). Period.

PS yes, i'm drunk, so mea culpa for typos etc.