When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Eta And Asian Copy Works

FxrAndy

I know that our ETAs are made in china call them Chiss, Swinese or what ever, what i would like to discuss here are the so called 28800 25j eta copys that the dealers are refering to such as in the new $128 UPO here

and the beginermariner listed

here

(apologies to josh for just using his examples, but he is not the only one) At what point are these ETA copys, ok they run faster than you standard asian 21j and they may or not have more jewels, they may use ETA hand sizes. So far the only movements that i think could say (and please correct me if i am wrong) they are copys of ETAs are the seagul ST18 and

this from river

notice it looks exactly like an ETA and has the micro regulator but look under the balence, no ETA stamp or markings! no that looks like and ETA copy to me. I think the dealers need to look at the way they advertise and the wording they use, in a legitimate business or even on the bay we would be up in arms at this flagrant use of misadverisement. I am not an ETA snob by any means and would more than happy if every rep had a repped movement ala seagul, far truer to the idea of a rep. We do however need to sort out the wording that is used, i am able to recognise what is and is not an ETA others may not.

Please look at River's sub with the Asian 'ETA' copy.............isn't the minute hand thicker than the one normally used on the Swiss ETA powered reps? This might be an indication that the hands have been specifically made to suit this movement, possibly because thay are different from the standard ETA fit. If that's the case then a movement swap will not be straightforward, similar to the 'new' 28,800 Asian 7750. Grrrrrrrrrrr

Guest RiverwindMDS
Very hard to tell from a photo but as the rest looks exactly like ETA why would the use a different size pinion?

I think the same. And if it is agood copy of the movement, even a 1:1 copy of the movement that if repaired can use eta parts it is a great accomplishment.

the more or less same movment with a much smaller price. better than this...

But now we have to ask master The Zigmeister...

Right there with you. I'm doing my best pointing this out, but it looks like a nasty new trend.

Hear here! I expressed my concerns WRT the new uPO with a variation of this movement. At least in that case the glaring omission of the microregulator is a giveaway.

It was just about a year ago when the Asian 'Unitas' 6497 copy appeared, replicating the beat of the -2 Swiss version and bettering the -1 version we were used to in reps. The dealers trumpeted it as a 'Swiss' movement and advertised it accordingly. At least this time that is not happening, but there's still massive room for confusion.

I welcome the appearance of these movements, especially if they prove as reliable as their 21J Miyota based predecessors and do indeed show a high degree of interchangeability with ETA movements. That, though, remains to be seen.

Please look at River's sub with the Asian 'ETA' copy.............isn't the minute hand thicker than the one normally used on the Swiss ETA powered reps? This might be an indication that the hands have been specifically made to suit this movement, possibly because thay are different from the standard ETA fit. If that's the case then a movement swap will not be straightforward, similar to the 'new' 28,800 Asian 7750. Grrrrrrrrrrr

The minute hand is correct- Those are termed 'fat hands' and are correct with regards to the aesthetics of the watch. Rolex uses these wider hands on their 16610 LV (Green, 50th Ann Sub) and 16622 (Rolesium Yacht-Master); their main advantage is to improve visibility in both presence of size as well as more lume area. The new 11652x Daytonas also have 'fat hands' but in the typical baton style hands characteristic to Daytonas of past.

I'm very interested and curious about this movement. I don't know if The Zigmeister would be interested, but I wonder if say 10 or 20 of us got together and chipped in $5 or $10 and bought The Zigmeister one of River's $99 LV's, if The Zigmeister would be interested in tearing it down and doing a review of this movement. Of course the watch would be his to keep.

Wow! That rotor on River's LV sub looks like it came right out of the ETA parts bin. And the bridge holding the balance looks the same as is on the 2824 that I just looked at. I haven't done a side by side comparison of movement pictures, but that's next later on today. If parts are interchangeable, it would definitely be cool. But I wouldn't think Swatch would be at all happy about this.

I have never seen one of these...

If anyone has one they want "serviced", I'll do the work for free (customer pays return shipping only) and do a teardown, pics, and comparison to the ETA model.

From my experience, it's very doubtful that it's a direct copy of the ETA, I doubt that the parts are interchangeable...but you never know.

The offer is on the board, the first to contact me who has one of these and wants to get it torn to pieces, let me know on PM.

RG

I will order one if river takes pp and send it to ziggy.

Mail sent to River i will keep you informed. If this turns out to be a good movement then the swatch groups policy will be non consiquencail (i wish i could spell)

I woulda took up on that deal also... I am >< close to jumping on that sub anyway... randy lemme know if you decide not to, I would be happy to do so..

I am hoping that this is indeed the "copy" ETA movements some have been wanting with the wake of ETA not selling anymore in the future...

I woulda took up on that deal also... I am >< close to jumping on that sub anyway... randy lemme know if you decide not to, I would be happy to do so..

I am hoping that this is indeed the "copy" ETA movements some have been wanting with the wake of ETA not selling anymore in the future...

Some one beat me to it, bummer

Right there with you. I'm doing my best pointing this out, but it looks like a nasty new trend.

100% agree. I am not the most knowledable authority on this stuff but still, the USD 128 PO really confused me until I read the various threads on it today.