When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Little White Lies We're Supposed To Tolerate?

Pugwash

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

"So you heard I found the money eh????"

"The money...what money?

"You know what money...the money I found on the bus!"

"Oh yes, I do remember hearing something about that..."

Oh my.....too many hours wasted in front of the tube. Med school was quite a hurdle looking back!

:thumbsupsmileyanim::rolleyes:

if it has two hamsters turning the cogs...it dun matter.....as long as they turn...tell the time....

Sure thing...case almost closed. <_< Only the price issue remains then. Sure I'll pay more for gen Eta hamsters than crappy hybrid hamsters...

Ziggy-

I think I can get you one of those FM 2892's in short order. ;)

It also sounds like we are talking about two entirely different situations. The "2892's" in the Seamaster are Asian junk and look nothing like the ETA. The FM may well be a hybrid but then again that is a risk on any ETA movement not bought directly from ETA.

Ziggy-

I think I can get you one of those FM 2892's in short order. ;)

So the Seagul crap is the movement found in the Aqua terra clones?????

187441-5545.jpg

Not to pick on Josh here with pics but he's the dealer with whom I have the most image familliarity.

(But shame on you Josh. You call this an ETA 2892. You also call the new movements in the PO beginner line "Asian ETA". What the hell is that???)

Actually, the only reason I haven't purchased a AT rep yet is the questionable movement. It would be nice to know if all these ETA 2892-3 fakes are crap... or perhaps the bad experiences only relate to "old batch" of this movement? I haven't heard of any current complaints about them.

>>>@Ted....ever the optimist.........please DO NOT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH.....!<<<

Not putting words in your mouth Neil, you misunderstood what I said, or perhaps I said it poorly.

I was saying that the dealer I purchased the wacth from (NOT yourself) was a drop shipper who never saw the watch. I know that you inspect watches prior to selling them. Earlier you made the point that some dealers (again, not yourself) were simply passing the specs on that they were given by the maker.

Sorry for any confusion, I was just trying to credit you for the points you originally had made.

>>>if the hands go round and tell the time consistently......what the [censored] does it matter what's inside.....<<<

Well it matters to me because the hands DON'T go around and tell time consistently in the case of the "Seagull" and I was grossly overcharged for it. If the dealer had told me a "Seagull" was inside I would have paid a lower price and taken a chance. Even following your basic guideline of "who cares as longas it works" this movement fails.

Hey, I'm not an admin/moderator. I don't have to be unbiased. :D

He's currently the only dealer stating watches with seagulls in them are ETAs. Not Asian ETAs, he states "ETA 2894" and that's not even secret code for Seagull ST18, it's blatant and outright scamming. He's by far the worst of the lot.

Sorry Pug, he not the only one still doing it!

I just took apart my B&R01-92 and this is what I found:

187468-5538.jpg

I took this up with Andrew last night and this was his reply:

"If you read the others watches with Swiss ETA 2892...

All those with SWISS will be noted as Swiss ETA 2892

This BR is only stated as ETA 2892.. In China, all the makers call them ETA 2892 but no indication of Swiss. This is the replica industry standards. If it is Swiss ETA 2892, think about it.. The movement alone will already cost USD200.

You can check the bph.. It is confirmed 28,800bph. Joshua and I bought the movements in bulk and had them checked. This is the Asia ETA 2892 which the Replica Industry in China calls them. There is also Asia ETA 2824 which Joshua and I just got them and installed in the Omega POs"

So if this is the Asian ETA 2892 then what is the one that looks like the 2892 in the Omega???

Andrew - Joshua - any comments?

@...what the [censored] does it matter what's inside.....

If that is true, why say ANYTHING about the movement in the marketing.. just say it makes the hands go round and round and be done with it. The fact is the term 'ETA 'is used by dealers to infer value.. most consumers on this board view 'ETA' movements as being highly desireable, and many are willling to pay a premium for the luxury. Dealers cannot very well talk about how great ETA movements are when they are selling the watches, than turn around and say 'what difference does it make' when they are challanged about them.

As far as I am concerned "My dealer told me so" is passing the buck... selling oregano for weed and saying "well the guy I bought it from said it was weed" still gets your ass kicked. I mean once or twice or something I can see... like PT (I think it's PT) when he found out his "solid gold" stuff wasn't really solid gold he came clean and fixed it. But dealers who know, (and there is no excuse that they don't after it's all over the forums and The Zigmeister gives the low down) and keep going on using the same "hmm... well I was told..." by the same guy who told you wrong before... a dozen times...

This whole "don't blame the dealer, pass it along down the line" thing is silly... especially when you consider many of our dealers are about as close to the factory as you can get (I am not convinced some of them don't partially or wholely own the factories that they get their watches from).

In the world of adults and business "he told me so" doesn't cut it in my book. It's certainly better than intentionally lying, but it's a long way from good.

As for dealers not speaking English well... some of them defintiely don't, but some of them definitely do.

And again, if it doesn't matter what makes it go around, then sell em all at asian 21j prices... and heck, trade me the movement from a gen LV sub for a 28k beat asian eta copy from River... it will go around and tell you what time it is, and it will look exactly like the gen since the case will still be gen. No deal? Hmmm... why not? It's all the same right?

You think a dealer would care if I ordered a watch with an ETA movement and sent it back for exchange but I dropped an asian 21j in there before shipping it? I mean, it still goes around, still looks the same... no problem right? :headhurt:

@The Zigmeister thanks for the info on basics in spottig an ETA... for those of us who aren't The Zigmeisters I think this is going to be hugely beneficial.

Edited by Devedander

So the Seagul crap is the movement found in the Aqua terra clones?????

187487-5529.jpg

Not to pick on Josh here with pics but he's the dealer with whom I have the most image familliarity.

(But shame on you Josh. You call this an ETA 2892. You also call the new movements in the PO beginner line "Asian ETA". What the hell is that???)

Not one to go against the experts maybe i have been lllucky but i have the seagull movement in my AT and it has worked perfectly since the day i got it, so please dont tar all with the same brush!

@Finepics.

This is the new 46mm B&R01-92 that is described as : "MOVEMENT: ETA 2892-2 Automatic 21J" ??? :thumbdown:

That is terrible. This movement looks REALLY cheap, does not even look anything like the seagull 2892 copy.

Now I understand why there was no movement pics.

Was THAT close to buying one, and the ETA2892-2 movement was much of the reason why I wanted one.

And the price was close to $ 300 when it came out, fully possible to get a real 2892-A2 movement for under $150 when buying just one, so the story " you must understand you can not get a real 2892-2 for this price" does not hold water.

Now the quarts chrono version seems like a better option, unless the price for this "bastard" goes down to the $90-120 where the rest of the normal good "unknown asian movement" watches are.

(Can then buy and put in one of the real swiss 2892 movements I have laying around and be happy :rolleyes: )

Interesting if hands from this movement will fit a real ETA ?

Hello, all! Didn't intend for this to be my introdutory post, but I'm wondering about the ETA 2836 and 2836-2 movements in the DateJust reps. Are these real "Swiss" ETAs, or have there been some Asian copies spotted about? Would one be more likely to get a real ETA 2836-2 in one of the older DateJust models (ie, before the Rolesor updates)? Thanks for any insights. :unsure:

Hello, all! Didn't intend for this to be my introdutory post, but I'm wondering about the ETA 2836 and 2836-2 movements in the DateJust reps. Are these real "Swiss" ETAs, or have there been some Asian copies spotted about? Would one be more likely to get a real ETA 2836-2 in one of the older DateJust models (ie, before the Rolesor updates)? Thanks for any insights. :unsure:

Just so that you are aware, i doupt you will ever see a real SWISS movement in a rep, they are all made in china, even the ones in the GENs! just that they (in the Gens) are assembled in the land of cheese and are therefore swiss. Be confident if it is a Chiss or swinese EAT it should be a fantastic movement. Welcome to the forum and please dont let the pesimistic tone in this thread put you off this great hobby!

Hmm... isn't it kinda frustrating to answer "Are the ETAs in our watches real Swiss ETAs" to every single newbie who comes up with this question... almost daily?

Perhaps Ziggy could post some kind of "mini-FAQ" into his section which explains it for the noobs who don't bother to use the search function... and check all those countless threads about this subject... so we could just always cut and paste the link instead of explaining it over and over again... like 10 times every week. I'm sure most of us are glad to help... but for me this question has become almost as annoying and predictable as the "best Sub" question.

I expect that he had spent quite a while reading this thread and getting down heartened, but still the question has not been answered but the plot thickend with Ziggys bit about the 2892 and blued screws! Who knows a prefer to think about the base design rather that where it was assembled, but so far i have had luck i think.

Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear, I'm new to RWG2 and RWI, but I've been on RWG1 and TRC for a year and a half (changed my screen name this year) and have bought DateJusts from a few great dealers on the boards. Never had a mechanical problem with them but, yes, the recent discussions have caused me some concern. And though I've read quite a lot, I don't remember any posts about real vs copy ETA 2836-2 movements in DateJust reps. Thinking about buying another, so that's why I asked this specific question.

Anyway, thanks again Andy and By-Tor for your replies. Eager to learn more.

i don't know if everything stacked onto this ETA building block is Asian, but the lack of genuine ETA screws suggests what's screwed to it is not original. If that's the case, this is far from an ETA movement IMHO.

A Ferrari engine going through a Mini gearbox onto Morris Minor wheels may be part-Ferrari, but it'll never perform like one.

That 2892 is a Mule.

Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear, I'm new to RWG2 and RWI, but I've been on RWG1 and TRC for a year and a half (changed my screen name this year) and have bought DateJusts from a few great dealers on the boards. Never had a mechanical problem with them but, yes, the recent discussions have caused me some concern. And though I've read quite a lot, I don't remember any posts about real vs copy ETA 2836-2 movements in DateJust reps. Thinking about buying another, so that's why I asked this specific question.

Anyway, thanks again Andy and By-Tor for your replies. Eager to learn more.

What you really wish to know is whether those movements are Chinese made Swiss ETA produced by an ETA-owned factory in China or the Chinese made copy of the Chines made Eta movement made by a Chinese factory that makes copies of Chines made ETA movements that otherwise ETA calls "Swiss", right? Simple.