When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Watch From My Father's Collection

By-Tor

Met my father yesterday and took a look at his gen collection. 2 IWC's, 4 Rolexes, a Glashutte and many others. However one really got my attention: A pocket watch.

This watch was a gift to my great grandfather. I have no idea when he received this, but I suspect it was in the 30's. He was very highly positioned man in my country's government. All he knows that this watch was a gift from the French. That still doesn't mean it's extremely valuable, but I think it's quite a stunner, either way. The dial has no markings but my father claims this watch is a Breguet.

Well anyway... he allowed me to take his watches for a photoshoot. I was going to take a GMT Master and make a rep/gen comparison, but then again we see boring Rolexes every day so I took this. I don't know if it's valuable but it sure is interesting... and something you don't see every day.

It comes in a wooden, decorated (original) box:

186736-5712.jpg

Both inner and outer caseback have 18K markings. Thus I have no reason to believe this watch is "tripple wrapped"... instead of solid gold. :lol:

The inner caseback has this text (I hope I didn't misspell anything). My French is a bit rusty so I'd appreciate a translation.

Remontoir

Ecchappement a Amore

Ligne Droitelovees visible

Spiral Breguet, 16 Rubis

Balancier Coupé

Borel Nuchatel

No: 79122

186736-5713.jpg

The beauty is in the movement. I have absolutely no idea what it is, but it's a hand wind movement (naturally) and it keeps excellent time. The tick is very loud. Here are some movement shots I took for you to enjoy.

PS: I don't think the marking "retard" on one of the bridges was meant as an insult. :lol:

186736-5714.jpg

186736-5715.jpg

186736-5716.jpg

I made a little research and found out that this watch is not Breguet, it's most likely a "Borel Neuchatel". The marking "Spiral Breguet" probably refers to a Breguet manufactured balance wheel on the movement (or something similar).

This Ebay listing has good history and description of the company:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1900s-BOREL-NEUCHATEL-...VQQcmdZViewItem

PS: Not sure about the practical value but the pocket watches are beautiful items for people who like antique. Stuff from the old, better times... when men were still gentlemen... and ladies were real Ladies. You know... times before the gangsta rap and Paris Hilton. :lol:

That is one amazing time piece, BT!

I'm a big admirer of vintage pocket watches. One can almost picture the craftsman laboring over an old wooden bench adding all the intricate touches and assembling these fine pieces. Unfortunatley, this is mostly a lost art today with very few exceptions. The hand painted ceramic dials are fabulous.

Thanks for sharing! Your Dad has terrific taste. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That's an exquisite piece, ByTor.... Many thanks for this as opposed to the gen/rep GMT compare!!

Thanks Ubi and Chief.

@chief:

The problem is that my fathers GMT is Master I... so comparing that to the current rep wouldn't be that useful.

• 3 years later...

Actually retard is used in many mechanical applications not just watches, it is simply the opposite to Advance, as vlydog said "to Slow'

That is a beautiful piece By-Tor I have no idea how I missed this the first time around but glad I saw it this time.

I take it one day your father will hand it down to you and then you in turn pass it onto your son?

What a wonderful heirloom.

Ken

Beautiful piece BT!! What does it say on the top of retard? l'Advancé

I don't have the watch with me here anymore but that's a good guess. :)

PS: Thanks all.