When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling all the olde timers(get it) :-).........check in

Justasgood

On 5/13/2020 at 4:23 AM, Nanuq said:

:ban:    

Welcome back you old codger!   :clap2:

You want nostalgia?  Late one night in 2003 or 2004 I was checking the forum and Halley popped up on PM.  Remember him?  He had just got a teaser from some guy named David that just created a new account, and wondered if we'd be interested in some 19mm Daytona reps.  Halley said sure, send me some pics.  David did, and Halley sent these to me right away... the very first "DW Daytonas" to appear on a forum anywhere.  Me and Halley ordered the first 5 watches DW sold.

halley1.jpg

halley2.jpg

halley3.jpg

Boy, were we jazzed.  The rep world hadn't seen anything like this before.  And the rest, as they say, is history.

Look great, it is good to see the pics of these!

14 hours ago, Justasgood said:

Well well well, good to see another olde friend......How have 

I’ve been very well. Although I still love watches, my Apple Watch is just so useful, I wear it to work everyday. I have recently begun to wear my mechanical watches during leisure time and am starting to get the urge to buy something new. 

unfortunately my company blocked RWG, so I kind of just drifted away. Breitling has kind of lost its way in recent years, and I really haven’t seen anything else that has really excited me either, but I still browse occasionally, and the Titanium Hublot King Diver is really calling my name. A weak Canadian dollar however makes it a $700 watch, maybe more than I want to spend. We’ll see lol 😝 

Other than that, I’ve been doing bodybuilding for the past nine years, still enjoy tinkering with old cars, playing lots of guitar, and looking forward to some golf when this pandemic ends. 

Good to see all the familiar names again!

2 hours ago, andreww said:

I’ve been very well. Although I still love watches, my Apple Watch is just so useful, I wear it to work everyday. I have recently begun to wear my mechanical watches during leisure time and am starting to get the urge to buy something new. 

unfortunately my company blocked RWG, so I kind of just drifted away. Breitling has kind of lost its way in recent years, and I really haven’t seen anything else that has really excited me either, but I still browse occasionally, and the Titanium Hublot King Diver is really calling my name. A weak Canadian dollar however makes it a $700 watch, maybe more than I want to spend. We’ll see lol 😝 

Other than that, I’ve been doing bodybuilding for the past nine years, still enjoy tinkering with old cars, playing lots of guitar, and looking forward to some golf when this pandemic ends. 

Good to see all the familiar names again!

Golf has become my obsession of late but I recently was given my Father's 1972 21' Boston Whaler Outrage and methinks it may occupy quite a bit of my time in restoring it.

6 hours ago, Nanuq said:

Speaking of restoring things ... score:   Moose-1, Rover-0

IMG_6169.JPG

IMG_7125.JPG

IMG_7184.JPG

IMG_7187.JPG

IMG_7209.JPG

IMG_7238.JPG

IMG_7251.JPG

Final score:  Moose-1,  Rover-1

You hit a moose in a rover?! Lol! I used to think Alaska would kill you before Florida kills me but I don't know.. the heat and the poisonous everything especially the Floridians themselves... I see those snow footprints and think what a relief it would be if those were teabag imprints from my boiled over balls.

Speaking of balls, anyone remember the thread  where prim and proper Josh was posting about how one of his balls hung lower then the other? Good times. 😂 

I used to think Alaska would kill you before Florida kills me but I don't know..

We won’t talk about my run-in with the huge brown bear yesterday. default_shock.gif

I took the dogs up the trail to do the hike around Mt. Baldy. Parked the Rover and we all got out, I locked it and we started uphill toward the trail and the dogs alerted, hackled up and took off up across the ditch just as a BIG brown bear stuck his head up and turned to look. He was maybe 20 yards away in deep grass and alders. I hollered HEY then STOP! and both dogs did! Color me amazed. They looked at me as the bear jumped up and started moving past me, right to left, maybe 15 yards away on a tangent. I called the dogs as I watched him and he came down across the ditch onto the trail just as the dogs got back to the Rover, I was between him and the dogs thinking “this is not good” then I opened the door and the dogs jumped in! I watched him as he walked down the trail like Big Booty Judy, then turned up into the trees again. Wow. Big bear.

6 hours ago, Nanuq said:

We won’t talk about my run-in with the huge brown bear yesterday. default_shock.gif

I took the dogs up the trail to do the hike around Mt. Baldy. Parked the Rover and we all got out, I locked it and we started uphill toward the trail and the dogs alerted, hackled up and took off up across the ditch just as a BIG brown bear stuck his head up and turned to look. He was maybe 20 yards away in deep grass and alders. I hollered HEY then STOP! and both dogs did! Color me amazed. They looked at me as the bear jumped up and started moving past me, right to left, maybe 15 yards away on a tangent. I called the dogs as I watched him and he came down across the ditch onto the trail just as the dogs got back to the Rover, I was between him and the dogs thinking “this is not good” then I opened the door and the dogs jumped in! I watched him as he walked down the trail like Big Booty Judy, then turned up into the trees again. Wow. Big bear.

No bears in Toronto, but I was attacked by a red winged blackbird yesterday as I was out for a lunchtime walk. Little bastard blindsided me, grabbed my hair, and pecked the back of my head lol. Scarred the [censored] out of me lol 😂 

15 hours ago, Nanuq said:

Speaking of restoring things ... score:   Moose-1, Rover-0

IMG_6169.JPG

IMG_7125.JPG

IMG_7184.JPG

IMG_7187.JPG

IMG_7209.JPG

IMG_7238.JPG

IMG_7251.JPG

Final score:  Moose-1,  Rover-1

Cool little truck. What year is that?

7 hours ago, Nanuq said:

I feel for you Minty. While out this morning with the dogs, a vicious wild animal nearly ran us down. By the time I got my ‘phone out he was sat a way down the lane, looking kind of menacing 

F7C918FC-0150-4C5F-BF8A-F03A8368CC78.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

I feel for you Minty. While out this morning with the dogs, a vicious wild animal nearly ran us down. By the time I got my ‘phone out he was sat a way down the lane, looking kind of menacing 

F7C918FC-0150-4C5F-BF8A-F03A8368CC78.jpeg

But it's got Huge teeth.....and......Giant..........LOOK AT THE BONES....................

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 9:52 PM, andreww said:

Breitling has kind of lost its way in recent years, and I really haven’t seen anything else that has really excited me either

Whoa!  You mean this?

Breitling-superocean-Heritage-57-Limited-Edition-II-4.thumb.jpg.abe07651461658963964dbb261c7b166.jpg

Which I think honours this aviation pedigree?

a-tiger-on-a-plane-near-the-rainbow-vector.jpg.537bef1ae0db1e6c781b0566117c5dec.jpg

Same with the exchange rate too, that has an impact.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Justasgood said:

But it's got Huge teeth.....and......Giant..........LOOK AT THE BONES....................

:clap2:        :lol2:

On 6/4/2020 at 6:28 AM, Justasgood said:

Luv it ‘Nuq! Wouldn’t mind turning wrenches on that. 

no moose damage here, just years of neglect. 

5DD0E7AF-4989-4AFB-850E-C9C6F0DAEBC2.png

This has been my hobby.  Have a center console a bit like this but more like a bowrider at the front (and shorter).

Turned the hobby into 3 gen watches.  Many reps I own have a more personal attachment to them (than the gens).  I'm  more attached to the story behind behind them, often the strap, or the crystal or whatever.  Like many here from years ago, I have some very cool watches sitting around.  Much harder to get these now.  We all used to dine out on ETA movements like Russian oligarchs on cheap caviar. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 11:36 PM, Nanuq said:

I would DIE. This sounds like a weekly event for you. I'm glad you and the pups are safe.

3 hours ago, P4GTR said:

I would DIE. This sounds like a weekly event for you. I'm glad you and the pups are safe.

Yeah we're thick with critters this year and there's some large "caliber" bears among them.  Behold

the Rolex Poo-Dweller.

IMG_7496.JPG

I have some very cool watches sitting around.  Much harder to get these now.  We all used to dine out on ETA movements like Russian oligarchs on cheap caviar. 

Jetmid??? Is that YOU?! :shock:

Sir Lanikai was at the all-you-can-eat ETA movement buffet :euro:

Ain’t that the truth. What did he have, over 500 watches at one point?

Remember his Doxa? Next to version 1.0 of my Big Gonzo.

d1963142b345886670f3a11b96b86aba.jpg
  • Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 10:35 AM, cornerstone said:

This has been my hobby.  I had my Jetmid moment with part-ownership of a Sea Ray, but now have a center console a bit like this but more like a bowrider at the front (and shorter), with a 115hp Yamaha - kept in dry dock.

Turned the hobby into 3 gen watches.  Have a vintage Rolex GMT, and 2 IWC - a pilot chrono and a big ingenieur. 

Many reps I own have a more personal attachment to them (than the gens).  I'm  more attached to the story behind behind them, often the strap, or the crystal or whatever.

Like many here from years ago, I have some very cool watches sitting around.  Much harder to get these now.  We all used to dine out on ETA movements like Russian oligarchs on cheap caviar. 

I feel the same about reps, especially the ones I put together. Unfortunately, the days of mint $500 maxi and white Sea Dweller dials seem long gone. 

I have quite a few vintage gen pieces now that I really enjoy. 

I do find that the current hot watches are actually killing my interest in collecting. When a hot mess like the PP Nautilus is Instagram’s most desirable watch, something has gone seriously wrong. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 2:26 AM, alt.watch.obsessive said:

I feel the same about reps, especially the ones I put together. Unfortunately, the days of mint $500 maxi and white Sea Dweller dials seem long gone. 

I have quite a few vintage gen pieces now that I really enjoy. 

I do find that the current hot watches are actually killing my interest in collecting. When a hot mess like the PP Nautilus is Instagram’s most desirable watch, something has gone seriously wrong. 

It's a shame that some projects almost seem worth more broken up into parts - but then I guess that's only a problem for someone looking to sell them.  For me, I feel a little bit of wonderment.  Like, how did I get away with this?

Maybe some of the latest watch designs are just to troll the rep makers.  :tongue: 

I'm sure some watch brands throw a dart at a pantone chart each year, and then spin a wheel with tourbillon on one half, and perpetual calendar on the other.

• Like 1