When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dealer Descriptions

Admin

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also wanted to stay away from this discussion, but I can't.

Blame it on the fact that for the first time a watch I bought from a respected dealer was caught by my local customs.

I'm a newbie here and I have been buying rep watches for 6 or 7 months before I even discovered RWG.

Actually I discovered RWG thru Andrew in a way.

I ordered a first watch @Andrew, received it and then started to read all the posts you guys have been publishing here.

Since then, I learned a lot, including the fact that I bought wrong watches (see my Pam 1950 post) before arriving here.

So, what I mean is that, like in "real life", everyone must make his own experience and improve themselves.

But, for sure, there is something that should be improved: delivery methods and routes.

When I buy an "almost not too bad but still wrong version" of a watch, well I still wear it (like my SoCalledPerfectSub that I wear for a week now).

But when my watch is stuck in customs and I have to visit them to explain how I got it, it really sucks.

One thru improvement would be for our dealers to find a way to ship from anywhere in the solar system but not from Peoples Republic of China.

Cheers

Stephane

Sorry to hear about your watch... but customs risk is part of game :o

Depending where you are located you'll find a dealer who ships in conus but you have to pay higher prices so you have to decide where to buy from. Beside that another way to avoid customs is buying used watches from members located in your country ;)

But the shipping question is out of topic here... we should discuss about an way that participating dealers could offer their goods in an easy way and non misleading way...

Hope to see more input from the dealers after the CNY

I really don't see this happening. Great Idea, but most dealers are already being honest. The ones that will resist any form of standardization are the same people that don't think much of the guy (guys) thats spearheaded this debate. They won't do it, not because its a bad idea, but because they will never do anything to give the impression that they are giving in to him (them).

They won't do it, not because its a bad idea, but because they will never do anything to give the impression that they are giving in to him (them).

Yup, Dun be a pug, and all that.

I like the idea because it's voluntary. Complying means you just get to put a gold star next to your name, and it'd be interesting to see if that's motivation enough.

I was going to stay out of this, but I feel like adding my 2 cents, hell it's friday.

First of all I don't think this standardized grading will ever work. Most of the dealers are dropshippers and never see the product, thus many sub par watches will slip through the cracks anyway. Most collectors (i believe, correct me if im wrong) never open the back of their watch. With the shortage of ETA's soon there will not be a choice of swiss, also with the chinese technology you will soon not know the difference. I believe most of our dealers try to be as honest as they can, but there is always 3 sides to a salesman's story (theirs, the customers', and the truth). This little thing of ours is not walmart, target, or sears. It is an underground, illeagal hobby. I treat the dealers like restaurants, if I have just one bad meal I don't eat there again.

Caveat Emptor.

Wuurd!

IMO, the majority of the problem is unrealistic expectation on the part of the forum members. I am amazed that the dealers are going along with this, it makes me appreciate them even more.

They already got 5 stars each in case you didn't notice!

The stars over at RWI have nothing to do with our idea... if Klink or XYZ from the admin team over there likes a dealer or maybe the dealer had paid a ceratin amount he'll promoted to 5 stars...

Here the "special dealer sign" will show that the dealer offers a special service and complied to the voluntary rules - we i admin won't rate the dealers - the dealers themself decide if they would like to sign to the new standards or not... no one else...

As already said a few times most of the dealers are celebrating CNY at the moment so hopefully they'll throw something in here after their celebrations ;)

The stars over at RWI have nothing to do with our idea... if Klink or XYZ from the admin team over there likes a dealer or maybe the dealer had paid a ceratin amount he'll promoted to 5 stars...

Here the "special dealer sign" will show that the dealer offers a special service and complied to the voluntary rules - we i admin won't rate the dealers - the dealers themself decide if they would like to sign to the new standards or not... no one else...

As already said a few times most of the dealers are celebrating CNY at the moment so hopefully they'll throw something in here after their celebrations ;)

Thor, I was just poking fun at the Dork Side. I know their 5-Star rating means absolutely nothing.

206088-506.jpg

Thor, I was just poking fun at the Dork Side. I know their 5-Star rating means absolutely nothing.

206376-429.jpg

I know you are aware of that but would state this clear also for the newbies ;)

Wuurd!

IMO, the majority of the problem is unrealistic expectation on the part of the forum members. I am amazed that the dealers are going along with this, it makes me appreciate them even more.

I appreciate them even more now that they've stopped calling reps "1:1 copies." This effort has already yielded real(istic) results. I assume they're going along with this because they're good guys and good businessmen--standardizing desriptions will save them time answering questions and dealing with disgruntled customers, not to mention rehabilitaing their reputations as honest guys in an industry full of bullshitters.

I appreciate them even more now that they've stopped calling reps "1:1 copies." This effort has already yielded real(istic) results. I assume they're going along with this because they're good guys and good businessmen--standardizing desriptions will save them time answering questions and dealing with disgruntled customers, not to mention rehabilitaing their reputations as honest guys in an industry full of bullshitters.

Precisely! You've HIT it sweetly on the spot!! :victory::thumbsupsmileyanim:

Great Idea, but most dealers are already being honest.

It is already years I am trying to find what honesty means in our hobby:

Sapphire glass: let's say 75% of reps are mineral, even when claimed sapphire.

1:1 Copies: No one single watch is close to that at all.

316 stainless steel: let's say 95% of reps are not. Let not speak about what kind of chromed iron are most of screws.

personally hand picked: sure, by the chinese dark guys, directly to your door.

Movement serviced: LOL. Funny also it's charged $100 for something they pay $15.

Functions: a lot, and many times they stop working after a month.

Delivery: you pay $30-40 for what is $18 cost.

Price: you are asked $400 for what they pay $230, or $680 for what they pay $300.

Crested diamonds: and you obtain beautiful rock crystals, which are not even carved in the shape of diamonds...

In stock: an then after payment you wait and wait and wait, because they didn't have it in so many cases.

ETA: well... it's been talked too much about this.

Superlume: same as previous.

AR coated: and many times you get a crystal dyed in its mass.

So if you mean we get something that is absolutely not as described, but looks like in our dealers photos, and they just don't simply take our money and scam us.. yes, i agree with you. They are very honest.

It's unusual. I get the impression that most people don't have an opinion one way or another on this subject.

sorry about not opining sooner, but I absolutely agree with the concept of voluntary adherance to a standardized naming convention, measured by a 5 star grading system. As for drop-shippers, I am not as convinced they should automatically be excluded. The only requirement should be that they certify the accuracy of what they are selling per the guidelines. If they are tight enough with their suppliers to do that, they should be eligible for the higher rating. If not, frankly, they shoiuld be. but if they certify something and end up wrong, we'll deal with it in the review section.

Well if it doesn't happen and someone (else) gets a good spanking (metaphorically speaking) then the phrase "Don't come crying around here" immediately springs to mind.

JTB

thank goodness you added metaphorically... it is not bad enough that i have that sea-elephant thing in my nightmares...

....as the dealers probably suspected it would....

Like I said before in the LW Lies thread, they will hide out in the storm cellar until the worst is over. They have lots of experience and faith in the never ending stream of tongue wagging newcomers salivating over new found dealers who don't charge them $900 for an ETA Submariner.

....as the dealers probably suspected it would....

Like I said before in the LW Lies thread, they will hide out in the storm cellar until the worst is over. They have lots of experience and faith in the never ending stream of tongue wagging newcomers salivating over new found dealers who don't charge them $900 for an ETA Submariner.

I am not sure i know what else there is to discuss. There is a proposal on the table to create a voluntary, self- certifying star rating system of dealers who adhere to a consitent and clear naming convention. why don't we just implement it? not trying to sound coy, but what are the next steps? is it just a question of coming up with the convention? i am not the best qualified to do this, but if you want me to give it a shot based on the input others have provided i'ld be happy to. it might take a few days though.