When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stage 1: Production Of Submariner Cases: Would Anyone Be Intrested?

FlipLockBuckle

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

Of course i will first take orders once I have all the cases finished, means i will pay the case production myself.

Means, once I will start taking orders the cases will be available so you can get a side by side comparison with the gen one

I guess what I was trying to convey since many poeple are in and others have their doubts is before you start paying for 50+ cases, wouldn't you be able to get one or two samples to make sure the case meets all requirements before purchasing a mass quantity?

I'm in for 2. Quesiton: what eta movement will fit? 2836 will be too thick. The crown hole will have to be lowered on the case like all other reps. We gotta to use some other thinner movement to keep the crown hole centered.

How about the slimline Asian 2892 copy, or even a gen 2892?

I guess what I was trying to convey since many poeple are in and others have their doubts is before you start paying for 50+ cases, wouldn't you be able to get one or two samples to make sure the case meets all requirements before purchasing a mass quantity?

Hey thank you very much for your idea, I called the company, and they told me once i signed a contract for 50 or 100 cases theres no problem with first producing one and sending it to me for quality check.

Ubi has a point with the 16000 Seadweller but I would be interested in 1 Sub case for sure.

Are these going to be machined to accept the Rolex Crwon tube too.

Of course they are going to accept the rolex crown :)

EDIT: Im just thinking if I should make my own casebacks or buy some generic ones....does anyone know any cheap wholesale dealers for casebacks?

Edited by FlipLockBuckle

1 at first... and if they are in fact as close to gen as you say... possibly 5-10 more... (teehee! possibly a date, no-date, TT, and fantasy model!)

I guess the Stage 1 Quality check should be sent to our super modders and in house rolex experts for final analysis... (Zig, Ubi, RBJ, etc...)

I think you will get most of your accurate feedback from these guys...

The case fits gen rolex movements, as well as eta movements (with a special movement ring).

This question of movement fitment has come up again... (as in other posts)

Is there someone willing to check to see if a 'readily available' aftermarket movement can fit within the genuine specs of the tube...?!?!?!

my understanding is that 2836 just wont work!

What grade of steel are you planning on using?!?! 316L or 904L?

Hole or No-Hole Case? (or both)

PP

Edited by poopypants

The grade of steel is extremely important. Anything less than 316L will make the project worthless. Also, they should be able to replicate the case backs as well. Should be a package deal with the cases. Will the cases be threaded properly to accept the screw on back snug? How about polishing the sides? Will there be some finishing work to be done afterwards?

As for the movement, maybe a citizen miyota or some kind of asian made movement wil fit.

Hey thank you very much for your idea, I called the company, and they told me once i signed a contract for 50 or 100 cases theres no problem with first producing one and sending it to me for quality check.

This is in Europe, right?

Do they know it's a counterfeit case?

from my understanding, steel 316L is the most common steel used in jewellry and high grade watches..

Demanding steel 904L will increase material costs at least 3x...

And the cnc shop will be very surprised about your election, because steel 904L is industrial.

I think cases will get more expensive, but I too would prefer 904L.

I would like to see cases with lugholes too.

Of course, engravings around the lugs should be deleted...

You just can avoid this issue of giving them a case by casting the piece from silicone or wax.

Please keep us informed, sure you will have demand from us...I would buy for myself 2 cases...preferibly with lugholes..

If it doesn't have a trademark no laws are broken. I assume there will be no engraving between the lugs.

I talked to a lawyer and he said it will be okay if theres no engraving on the case so....right there will be no engraving between the lugs, but its not a big deal to do it yourself if you want that.

I would like to see cases with lugholes too.

That should not be that much of a problem.

Edited by FlipLockBuckle

I talked to a lawyer and he said it will be okay if theres no engraving on the case so....right there will be no engraving between the lugs, but its not a big deal to do it yourself if you want that.

make some with lug holes and some without. I want a current version (i.e. without lug holes) for now. pls don't put holes in all the cases.

-bm

Hello,

I just wanted to ask if anyone would be intrested in genuine-looking submariner aftermarket cases.

They have correct crownguards, they fit 29,5mm Crystals (295C), they have the correct rehaut,

the bezelcassembly is not the one you know from cheap aftermarket pieces, its just like the gen one.

The case fits gen rolex movements, as well as eta movements (with a special movement ring).

The tolerace is 0.0055 mm, that's a 1/200 of a milimeter ... so you can be sure that every case's gonna be absolutely perfect.

As i would have to pay the production costs on my own, i wanted to ask if there would be any intrest in those cases.

I think i would start with 50-100 pieces for the beginning, and i would give them away for something around 60-100 bucks.

(Note: This project is still in planning and did not start yet, so im not taking any orders...im just intrested in who'd be intrested :) )

Thank you

Danny

Hi Danny,

I think you should revisit your source and check your specs - your machinist must be talking about inches, not millimeters. 5.5 thousandth's of an inch would be competent work, but 5.5 thousandths of a mm is not realistic. That is two ten-thousandths of an inch!

The next thing you should consider is the legal implications - you are setting yourself up as a manufacturer of counterfeit goods, and subjecting yourself to potential civil judgments and criminal prosecution. Before you kid yourself into believing that you can avoid these implications by manufacturing cases with no identifiable trademarks, that boat don't float.

Bill

I wrote that last before reading the foregoing - if you actually wish to maintain that you discussed this with a bona fide attorney who assured you that you could replicate Rolex cases to infinitessimal accuracy without issues so long as you abjured engraving, please e-mail me his contact information (same name as here but @aol.com). It would be unfortunate to have him continue with such nonsense.

Frankly, it is my considered opinion that this is not a statement that any first year law student would make, because anyone with any experience whatsoever would know how really and truly asinine a statement like that would be. I hate to accuse you of being disingenuous, but I will believe that a lawyer actually told you that once I have actually talked to the fool.

I don't know who you are, or what your motivation is, but I would have to say that I question your credibility.

Bill

... apart from copyright laws. :D

Actually Pug, the twin towers are "Patent Infringement" and "Trademark Violation" -- "copyright “ is a protection for "original works of authorship,” including literary, musical, artistic, and various other intellectual works.

I am not sure that either of these would apply.

Patents expire, and he is talking about avoiding the trademark issue altogether by abjuring inscription/engraving completely.

What he is completely forgetting is the fact that he has already demonstrated the intent to facilitate counterfeiting by his declaration of intent here. Although he could claim to have been manufacturing generic OEM replacement parts, in the end, his actions would define his intent.

Further, it seems highly unlikely that anyone will believe that there is a legitimate market for perfect Rolex cases.

Even if he were fortunate enough to avoid criminal indictment, Rolex would certainly seek an injunction and then file suite under the civil provisions of the Lanham Act. They would win, they would be awarded treble damages and attorneys fees, and Danny Boy would be completely FUBAR.

Bill

160 separate machining steps to make one case... producing an identical case, on your own, in a machine shop capable of incredible tolerances, and being able to sell them for under $100 each, wow, I am impressed...

Like RG has stated " I am impressed"...........I would be interested in several...............good luck with the R&D....JKT

Actually Pug, the twin towers are "Patent Infringement" and "Trademark Violation" -- "copyright “ is a protection for "original works of authorship,” including literary, musical, artistic, and various other intellectual works.

I am not sure that either of these would apply.

Patents expire, and he is talking about avoiding the trademark issue altogether by abjuring inscription/engraving completely.

What he is completely forgetting is the fact that he has already demonstrated the intent to facilitate counterfeiting by his declaration of intent here. Although he could claim to have been manufacturing generic OEM replacement parts, in the end, his actions would define his intent.

Further, it seems highly unlikely that anyone will believe that there is a legitimate market for perfect Rolex cases.

Even if he were fortunate enough to avoid criminal indictment, Rolex would certainly seek an injunction and then file suite under the civil provisions of the Lanham Act. They would win, they would be awarded treble damages and attorneys fees, and Danny Boy would be completely FUBAR.

Bill

Hey thank you or your warnings, but first of all it's just an idea...before I start making the cases I will of course seek legal advice to hedge myself against any legal prosecution. If my plan should be not possible without breaking any laws this idea will just not be put into practice...I'm not intrested in making any illegal counterfeit goods, But the first informal interlocution with my lawyer gave me good chances. Next monday I will talk to another international patent attorney, but as I know that there are many "generic" aftermarket parts out there im quite sure that it should be possible.

Regards