When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

45mm Planet Ocean

andreww

This just arrived yesterday and I thought I'd show it off. The bracelet was a [censored] to size, and I actually broke a pin in my attempt to do so. I took it to a jeweler who worked his magic. 5 minutes and $5 later it was on my wrist! The only issue is that the pearl is not sitting flat, but because the logo is straight, the crown screws down smoothly, and it is dead on to the second after 24 hours, I'm not that worried about it.

202803-1301.jpg

202803-1302.jpg

202803-1303.jpg

202803-1304.jpg

Great acquisition my friend. Although the rep is so good it's obvious that most of these have some kind of QC issue. If the hour markers aren't misaligned then there's something weird, like the pearl on yours.

I'd try heating the pearl with a hair dryer and pushing it inside from the other side. It's worth the shot... or then asking Andrew to send you another insert.

Hey By-Tor, unlike previous versions of this watch, the pearl is not attached to the insert. It actually is attached to a hole in the actual bezel, then the insert just sits on top (check Pug's post for photos). To get it perfect you would have to reset the pearl in the bezel with epoxy, apply the insert, then position the pearl properly. This would explain all the bad pearls, as on an assembly line the bezel is likely assembled without the insert. Without an insert there is no way to ensure a perfect fit.

Edited by andreww

I have a PO 45 too, the only thing that bothers me now is that the pearl does not really glow, I wonder if there is a way to replace the pearl so it will glow as good as the Dial.

Cheers

Is it possible to drop a bit of lume onto it?

Looks good Andreww, wear it well!

I don't think the pearl on yours is that bad, just like mine and some other pic I see here, don't send it back if most of the things is correct.....very nice watch.

no wonder I like mine very much :D

Edited by who

I bought the exact same model from Andrew, and are very satisfied.. I am happy that I did not jump on the Planet Ocean until this Ultimate came out. The black version is just as "low key" as a Omega should be. :)

However, my pearl is also slightly offset, as seen in the photo...

203065-1246.jpg

But it is not noticeable unless you look for it, and I have never considered to return it.. Maybe I will try the "hairdresser-method". Anyway, it is the only thing I am slightly dis-satisfied with, and it remains my best buy! As By-Thor said; " It feels just like a genuine watch! :2a:

This is the watch I will recommend to a newbie, to get the feel of what a really good rep can be like..

203065-1247.jpg

The only issue is that the pearl is not sitting flat, but because the logo is straight, the crown screws down smoothly, and it is dead on to the second after 24 hours, I'm not that worried about it.

Funny that! Those are the exact same three reasons why I decided to keep mine despite it having a squint pearl! Difference is River still offered a partial refund for the flaw!!

Funny that! Those are the exact same three reasons why I decided to keep mine despite it having a squint pearl! Difference is River still offered a partial refund for the flaw!!

Basically, this is what rep collecting has been all along... accept certain flaws and QC issues... until the unrealistic exceptations ie. "analism" started. :lol:

Andreww, congrats on your purchase - however I'm a bit perplexed as your datefont looks very different to all the other U-POs (and obviously the gen PO) I've seen, including mine.

It seems very apparent from your pics taken today (16th) - the '1' has a very distinct serif and the '6' looks very 'squared' - compare it with chrgod's pic just above this post for example.

:g:

Andreww, congrats on your purchase - however I'm a bit perplexed as your datefont looks very different to all the other U-POs (and obviously the gen PO) I've seen, including mine.

It seems very apparent from your pics taken today (16th) - the '1' has a very distinct serif and the '6' looks very 'squared' - compare it with chrgod's pic just above this post for example.

:g:

Interesting, I did not notice that... I see what you mean about the serif on the "1".. :blink:

@docblackrock - This is Trusty & Josh's Asian movement version that I have dubbed "Ultimate Lite". That would explain the font difference. As for the movement? feels very nice. Smooth winding, quite rotor, date change at 12:00 precisely. Besides that, it hasn't gained or lost even a second in about 36 hours. For $128 I consider this to be a steal!

@Pugwash - Did you even attempt to remove your pearl and reset it? From your pics it looked to be seated in a little hole in the bezel. My guess is that it is glued in there, and could probably be removed and reset to perfection.

No, I chickened out :D

I did it, removed the pearl pushed the glass bit out from the back, and, this is the important bit, epoxied the pearl to the colored bezel, then epoxied the bezel to the ratcheting mechanism. this way it sits evenly, and yes the pearl's lume is brighter now but only noticeable after a bright charging. All and all I don't think it was worth all the effort, and my pearl wasn't as bad as most of the ones I've seen on the boards.

I did it, removed the pearl pushed the glass bit out from the back, and, this is the important bit, epoxied the pearl to the colored bezel, then epoxied the bezel to the ratcheting mechanism. this way it sits evenly, and yes the pearl's lume is brighter now but only noticeable after a bright charging. All and all I don't think it was worth all the effort, and my pearl wasn't as bad as most of the ones I've seen on the boards.

I take it that you relumed the pearl? How difficult was the pearl cup to remove from the bezel? I assume its just glued in?