When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rwg Needs Your Help

Admin

Winner?!?! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well, tonton was $3 short :p and suggeste the next donator should be the "winner" so I guess pho should be contacting Bill.

again..THANK YOU!

Thomas

PSThe upgrade has been ordered and paid for and I'll post info as soon as I have it when the server will be taken offline (only a 5 minute upgrade).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ape

Agreed...

TT

PS: I like your new Avatar verses the old one...

Thankee, TT.. But that was my new Rado dress watch! ..it's a bit bling for everyday use though.

I've found my way back to Frusciante's music, and felt I should honour him with an avatar in this great forum. :)

ps: Does anybody know how I set the triple date thingy without having to turn the crown 3 million times? I can't seem to find more steps on the stem, and turning it the other way doesn't do anything.

The date window reads: e.g 3WED27 (3 being the weekday number)

Please send me a PM

-TG-

Well, tonton was $3 short :p and suggeste the next donator should be the "winner" so I guess pho should be contacting Bill.

Yeah Pho's the winner.

Like i said, i had already donated $100 before Bill's post, and seeing what he said made me decide to donate the balance towards the memory upgrade.

A big thank you goes out to Bill for the offer, and of course Phoband for his donation :thumbsupsmileyanim:

And most of all to the admin and mod team for spending so much time and effort keeping this place alive!!!!!!!!!

What about starting to get some cash for a mutli-processor server ?

CPU isn't an issue. :D

Next upgrade should be 15kRPM u320 striped 'cudas. Best VM drives you can get.

In fact, I've got a couple of 36GB 15k 'cudas here, if they'll help. They're a little noisy for my home server. :D

this is why RWG is such a great place - thanks all to all the noobs and obviously the big donors, it is rare to find this sense of community in the virtual world :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yup you are probably right; it's rare but isn't it the minimum we can do, all of us, for the community that is giving us all so much informations, so much fun and so much exitment ?

Let's surf on this generous wave to upgrade RWG with extra capabilities.

Am I wrong saying there are thousands of members ?

Am I wrong saying there are hundreds of active members ?

Am I wrong saying that from these hundreds of members lots were giving to much money for the watch they got lately (1$, 5$, 10$ or even 100$) ?

Shouldn't we contribute to RWG for the amount of only one of our watches ?

So let's multiply like this:

500 members donating 10$ only (which is very very low compared to what we all spent on one of our reps) = 5.000 $

If some of these 500 are giving say 20 $....

If all others are giving 1$...

RWG could end with like 10.000 $ (This is the price of a Dell Power Edge from the last generation.)

Now, look at this: every active member gives only one watch money to RWG: 500*228 = 114.000 $

(This is the price of 10 Dell Power Edge from the last generation.)

As I confessed, my first rep bought on eBay costed me 150 € and was [censored]

I would prefer to have send that money to RWG (and I'm still ready to do so).

It looked like this: 204173-900.jpg

I'm a newbie, but I say that it makes me sick too to see "new arrivals / apprentice" post, read, enjoy without even thinking suscribing to RWG.

If I remember well, I suscribed almost right away.

Come on new arrivals and apprentice, PayPal RWG now !

Cheers

Stephane

RWG could end with like 10.000 $ (This is the price of a Dell Power Edge from the last generation.)

Is the dollar that sucky? :blink:

FYI, hardware isn't the major expense running this site: bandwidth is, if I'm not mistaken, which is why we need to keep encouraging people to join up. If you have a cash drive and get a super server, people think it's all that's needed, but the reality is running costs are higher than server costs.

Is the dollar that sucky? :blink:

FYI, hardware isn't the major expense running this site: bandwidth is, if I'm not mistaken, which is why we need to keep encouraging people to join up. If you have a cash drive and get a super server, people think it's all that's needed, but the reality is running costs are higher than server costs.

OK, I understand, but, at the end of the day, isn't it a question of money ?

So, I'm not that wrong saying that if each and everyone of us would "donate" one watch money (not even an MBW), it would help RWG to deal whith wathever issue arrises.

We call this "le trésor de guerre" in french.

And I would be more than delighted to know that Admin & his gang get their "war treasure", just in case...

Having said that, I recently upgraded one of my internet services: separate sql (on a Dell PowerEdge) and IIS (on a Rack mounted no name win server), got an upload and a resize quality tool, ask to rewrite some asp pages code on the IIS one, and...upgrated the bandwith to 2 megs. It's a completely different service now. One should wear a seat belt before connecting ;-)

Cheers

Stephane

(Pug, pls check my last lume shot in the Rolex area, My So Called Perfect Sub...I think it's getting better now)

Pugwash is of course correct. The CPU is a minor issue on a site like this, but lack of memory if what really slows the server down and makes it crash now and then. So to be sure (and because of our generous donors) I am purchasing a 2 gigabyte upgrade. I have alo said this before, but if I was to go into the hosting industry I would definetively start an offshore hosting company. With the prices they charge on all their equipment (like the memory upgrade) and the bandwidth-charges, it has to me a lot of money in this industry. Especaille when it took me several years to find a good company. Oh well...

again, thanks to all of you who make this a great place to be and especially to all of the VIP members and donators. You keep this place alive!

T

I can't understand how anyone with +500 posts or bought at least one watch from one of our dealers, hasn't paid the VIP-fee yet?

IT SICKENS ME!!!

even if you are a VIP member, if you visit the site often, please consider making an additional donation. Really, considering all we get from the moderators and the admin, it is only fair.

again, thanks to all of you who make this a great place to be and especially to all of the VIP members and donators. You keep this place alive!

T

Count on us, even newbies like me, we will try hard to keep it alive.

Thanks to you for keeping it alive in fact.

Cheers

Stephane

Pugwash is of course correct. The CPU is a minor issue on a site like this,

I hope so, otherwise I'd be out of work by now. :D

The absolute best way to improve site performance, apart from engaging Akamai, would be to have a barrage of Squid servers taking the load off the PHP/SQL requests. That would reduce SQL calls to just being the search requests and a flush on the dynamic pages every 15-20 sec. It would require some hardcore mod_rewrite but you've got the CPU for it. :D

The absolute best way to improve site performance, apart from engaging Akamai, would be to have a barrage of Squid servers taking the load off the PHP/SQL requests. That would reduce SQL calls to just being the search requests and a flush on the dynamic pages every 15-20 sec. It would require some hardcore mod_rewrite but you've got the CPU for it. :D

i have no idea what you just said, but sh!t am i impressed!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

again..THANK YOU!

Admin

PSThe upgrade has been ordered and paid for and I'll post info as soon as I have it when the server will be taken offline (only a 5 minute upgrade).

OK, so it sounds like TonTon would have won, but didn't read the fine print close enough. Phoband was the winner and Ed donated $200 just to donate.

I'd like to send all three of you the Phoband watch, but I don't have three broken watches with Asian movements and mineral crystals so I'll probably have to send T & E watches that work.

You two guys e-mail me your FedEx addresses at TJGladeRaider@aol.com - I already have Phoband's packed.

No more gifts . . . that's all folks.

Bill

Damn, pugs...don't tell me you are using Akamai in your setup?

Oh...and I'll need to set up more squid....maybe I'll have to get into virtualization.... :whistling: Nah...forget it...I hate writing mod_rewrite routines... :lol:

Thank you, that'll be 500 euros. Oh, sorry, you just sounded like one of my clients. :whistling:

Hey, Admin, when do my memberships (note plural) run out?

Membership(s) expires 01. august 2008 :)

Bill...again...a great big thank you!

Thomas

OK, so it sounds like TonTon would have won, but didn't read the fine print close enough. Phoband was the winner and Ed donated $200 just to donate.

I'd like to send all three of you the Phoband watch, but I don't have three broken watches with Asian movements and mineral crystals so I'll probably have to send T & E watches that work.

You two guys e-mail me your FedEx addresses at TJGladeRaider@aol.com - I already have Phoband's packed.

No more gifts . . . that's all folks.

Bill

Damn, pugs...don't tell me you are using Akamai in your setup?

No chance, we looked into it and it cost more than hosting (we pay over 20k€/month already and Akamai would be more than that). We'd have needed 24mbps from them and that's hideously expensive.

We just redesigned our architecture and we found that if we reduce SQL/oracle calls (and replace Oracle with SQL servers with enough RAM to cache the entire database), we can get near static HTML speeds.

We have loads more optimisations we can do (like a lighttpd server for images, CSS and JS means faster static images and no SAN needed) but we've reduced our overheads to the point our hardware is simply good enough for another 6 months to a year. There is simply no current need to optimise after this step.

Just as well, because it'll take that long for my replacement to get up to speed. :D