When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rwg Needs Your Help

Admin

As most of you know, the RWG server has been quite unstable for a while. I've monitored it for a long time now and the problem seems to be that the server is running out of memory. Kinda ironic, since we all ask the members to use the search function and the search function is one of the things that use most of the memory and the processor. But all in all it is because RWG is a very popular forum and we have a lot of members who use the differet functions we have here + we all post, read and search. Basically, almost whenever you click a link here at RWC, some of the servers memory and processor power is used. The server has been running fine for a couple of days now, after I disable some of the more memory intensive functions and removed the ability for non-supporting members to search as often as they want. But it is obvious that the server needs a memory upgrade and for this I will have to ask the RWG community for some extra financial support. We'll be upgrading the server with 1 more gigabyte of ram and there is a one-time fee of $197 for doing this. RWG does not currently have funds available so we are asking our members to help us fund this upgrade. Primary we would like our non-supporting members to use this opportunity to upgrade their membership to a VIP membership or donate via paypal, but we will be accepting donations from all members to be able to go through with this upgrade as soon as possible. So if you have an extra dollar on your paypal-account, consider using it to support your favourite forum.

Donate

Get a mortgage on your house :p and send the funds via paypal to donate@rwg.cc. Any excess donations will be used to pay the regular server rent.

Upgrade

If you want to support RWG by upgrading your membership, go here: http://www.rwg.cc/members/upgrade.php

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You Guys saved me from buying a $900 Sub Rep from Idealw@tches, the least I can do is kick up my membership level!

Now I'm gonna go past the big dude with the red velvet rope, into the VIP lounge, mix up a drink, and breathe in the Panerai leather lounge chair smell..........Ahhh........

204063-929.jpg

To me, and this is just my personal observation, I am always a bit sensitive to "free membership" forums that get you to join and then start hounding you for money . . . a bit too much like "bait-and-switch" for me.

I mention that because it may be that some of our newer people feel that way. As I am not an Administrator or Moderator of this board, it is not my place to speak for them, but it is clear to me that those of you who may be visiting are NOT the people the Admin's request, or the member's comments, are directed to. There is no reason why a curious visitor should be supporting any board, and there is no "bait and switch" BS going on here in my view.

What we do have is people who come here all the time, read a lot, post a lot, buy watches, and all round benefit from the boards, but don't feel moved to help support the forum. That's a mentality I simply do not understand, especially since there are very few people with computers and Internet access who would find the membership upgrade to be financially significant.

To me, it's like having a club that allows visitors to "check things out" where some of the most active members choose to take advantage of the fact that they can remain on permanent visitor status, leaching a free ride off their friends. I suppose that some might find that insulting, and I regret insulting people who (in some cases) I actually like a lot - but that's the way it is.

Now, having said all that . . . let's have a little fun. Let's see who has a little faith and $200.

Sitting here in front of me, I have a watch. Maybe a nice watch, maybe a POS . . . maybe it's waterproof, maybe it's not . . . maybe it's a gen, maybe it's a rep . . . maybe it runs, maybe it doesn't.

One thing is for certain - I'm gonna send this watch to the first person who gives the Admin the $200 he needs for his upgrade.

Maybe logic says that the watch must be worth less than $200 or I'd just send the money to the Admin instead, or perhaps observation says I'm a twisted soul with a quirky personality so you cannot be sure, or maybe intuition suggests that . . . who knows.

Hey, ya buys yer ticket, and takes yer chances.

Bill

To me, and this is just my personal observation, I am always a bit sensitive to "free membership" forums that get you to join and then start hounding you for money . . . a bit too much like "bait-and-switch" for me.

I mention that because it may be that some of our newer people feel that way. As I am not an Administrator or Moderator of this board, it is not my place to speak for them, but it is clear to me that those of you who may be visiting are NOT the people the Admin's request, or the member's comments, are directed to. There is no reason why a curious visitor should be supporting any board, and there is no "bait and switch" BS going on here in my view.

What we do have is people who come here all the time, read a lot, post a lot, buy watches, and all round benefit from the boards, but don't feel moved to help support the forum. That's a mentality I simply do not understand, especially since there are very few people with computers and Internet access who would find the membership upgrade to be financially significant.

To me, it's like having a club that allows visitors to "check things out" where some of the most active members choose to take advantage of the fact that they can remain on permanent visitor status, leaching a free ride off their friends. I suppose that some might find that insulting, and I regret insulting people who (in some cases) I actually like a lot - but that's the way it is.

Now, having said all that . . . let's have a little fun. Let's see who has a little faith and $200.

Sitting here in front of me, I have a watch. Maybe a nice watch, maybe a POS . . . maybe it's waterproof, maybe it's not . . . maybe it's a gen, maybe it's a rep . . . maybe it runs, maybe it doesn't.

One thing is for certain - I'm gonna send this watch to the first person who gives the Admin the $200 he needs for his upgrade.

Maybe logic says that the watch must be worth less than $200 or I'd just send the money to the Admin instead, or perhaps observation says I'm a twisted soul with a quirky personality so you cannot be sure, or maybe intuition suggests that . . . who knows.

Bill

F- It, i'll bite my wife is going to shoot me :)

Bill

I already donated $100 before Bill's post.

I have now donated another $97.

But why stop now....

I say the NEXT person to donate $200 gets Bills very generous prize.

Jeez....A guy can't leave the house for a couple of hours to spend some time with his family without you donating more than enough :p Guess I'll be going for the 2 gigabyte upgrade then.

The upgrade is already covered for with tonton and pho as the biggest contributors with $197 and $200 (I'll engrave your names on the memory chips :p)

Another 6 members donated via donate@rwg.cc and 10 more members upgraded their memberships to VIP. 3 members also upgraded from apprentice status to member-status.

I wish I could be there to shake your hands and tell you how much I appreciate this. We have so many great members her that makes being an admin here a pleaseure (most of the time ;))

thanks you all for you generosity!! :blush:

T

Bill