When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does Anyone In This 'forum' Believe In God?

V

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe that children are our future

Teach them well and let them lead the way

Show them all the beauty they possess inside

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier

Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Everybody searching for a hero

People need someone to look up to

I never found anyone to fulfill my needs

A lonely place to be

So I learned to depend on me

I decided long ago

Never to walk in anyone's shadows

If I fail, if I succeed

At least I will live as I believe

No matter what they take from me

They can't take away my dignity

Because the greatest love of all

Is happening to me

I found the greatest love of all

Inside of me

The greatest love of all

Is easy to achieve

Learning to love yourself

It is the greatest love of all

I believe the children are our future

Teach them well and let them lead the way

Show them all the beauty they possess inside

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier

Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

And I decided long ago

Never to walk in anyone's shadows

If I fail, if I succeed

At least I will live as I believe

No matter what they take from me

They can't take away my dignity

And if by chance, that special place

That you've been dreaming of

Leads you to a lonely place

Find your strength in love

I think you can believe in God or a supreme being without necessarily following or believing in a formalized religon.

Now we've clarified that you're talking about God, the Christian God, then no. You're a Christian. You don't need to specify which denomination you are, because you're part of the larger superset of Christianity.

Oh, you could be a Satanist, but that's merely a form of Christianity, to be honest. And before I get flamed for that, to be a Satanist, you need to buy into the whole god/satan dichotomy that's a major part of Christianity. Satan is only the bad guy in Christianity, so Satanism wouldn't exist without Christianity. You need to first believe in God before you can believe in Satan. Doing so makes you basically Christian.

Now we've clarified that you're talking about God, the Christian God, then no. You're a Christian. You don't need to specify which denomination you are, because you're part of the larger superset of Christianity.

Oh, you could be a Satanist, but that's merely a form of Christianity, to be honest. And before I get flamed for that, to be a Satanist, you need to buy into the whole god/satan dichotomy that's a major part of Christianity. Satan is only the bad guy in Christianity, so Satanism wouldn't exist without Christianity. You need to first believe in God before you can believe in Satan. Doing so makes you basically Christian.

could be a deist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

In the simplest terms: I believe there is a God. If I am right, I win and the other side is screwed. If they are right, we all are screwed and it doesn't matter. Easy bet, no? There is a fancy name for this one, but I forgot it.

i don't know if the otherside is necessarily screwed... at the end of the day (figuratively and literaly) I would like to think that if we are judged, we will be judged on our deeds, not our beliefs. This is why i have such a big problem with mainstream religous dogma which tends to focus more on your beliefs than i am comfortable with.

hmmm... i was using the term 'Christian' more as an example.. Christian, Moslem, etc.. bute even if that is true, it doesn't necessary imply because i believe in Christ, I believe in all that is professed in his name.

For instance, I do not necessarily believe in the notion that only believers will find salvation, as strict chrisitan dogma would suggest. As I mentioned in the prior post, deeds rather than faith is what I believe is important.

For that matter, I am not sure I beleive in the concepts of heaven and hell (although I do believe in an after life) . To me, it is possible Christ was talking alogorically when he used terms like the "Kingdom of my Father". That is at definitly at odds with Christian beliefs, but it does not necessarily mean I do not believe in Christ the Savior. Becaues, there is quite a lot about mainstream Christian beliefs I question and I am not sure I fit comfortably into any maintream religious institutions. I think matters of spirituality are very personal and I am not sure that traditional worship practices work for me.

If there was a personal monotheistic god. Believers like to give all the credit and none of the blame to god. Evil man for all the bad and good god for all the good (kind of the opposite of a referee). Using logic, s/he could be only one of three possibilities... 1) evil 2) absent or 3) powerless.

God is a make believe friend for grown ups.

I consider myself a spiritual atheist.

If there was a personal monotheistic god. Believers like to give all the credit and none of the blame to god. Evil man for all the bad and good god for all the good (kind of the opposite of a referee). Using logic, s/he could be only one of three possibilities... 1) evil 2) absent or 3) powerless.

God is a make believe friend for grown ups.

I consider myself a spiritual atheist.

You mean like how he scores touchdowns but doesn't cause hurricane wilma

:) Yo stretch wwhats up man

I have read most of the classic/historical works on both sides; I still believe and pitty those that do not.

Reading them is one thing...understanding is another......I feel pity for those that still need the crutch.....!

As for religion and Christianity / Islam / Judaism......all Abrahamic religions worshipping the same God.....Yaweh......if truth be told.....everybody is practising Judaism...!

One Saturday morning I was lying in bed....my doorbell rang at about 9am......I went downstairs and opened it.......there were two men.......from the TV Licensing Board ( because of the BBC ...we have to pay for a TV licence in the UK...which I steadfastly refused to do. ).....anyway....one of them asks...."do you have a TV sir.....our records show that there is no licence registered at this address......?".......to which I replied "No....I don't have a TV..'..!

"Are you sure Sir..."?....."I'm positive' ...I replied.......at which point...he looked up at the chimney stack on my roof.....which had 2x Yagi 8 element aerials....1x Sky satellite dish.....1x Atlantic ADSL box......and a couple of SSB / USB / CW ....amatuer radio ham discones and aerials.....!

"do you mean to tell me....you have all those aerials...and you don't have a TV sir........"...?

I pointed down at my doorstep.......and asked him....."what's that"..?

He said....'2x pints of milk"........I replied......" I don't have a cow in the back garden"......!

At which point......he asked if he could come in and check......" I shouted down my hallway........"Darling.....let the dog out"........you never seen 2x guys sprint as quickly in your life......now I don't think that's incontrovertible proof of a God.....but I think it proves that some people will arrange the circumstances to fit.......plus just wanted to post it......:lol:

Edited by TTK

I would say that almost certainly somebody in this forum believes in at least a kind of God.

So does "anyone in this forum believe in God?" I must say yes.

I personally do not. Similar but opposite to Pug I used to be Athiest and am now Agnostic, simply becuase I expanded my definition of what "God" means and I am a firm believer in anything is possible and I don't know for a fact that there isn't some kind of God out there.

Not that it necessarily pertains but I always did like this one.

There are two ways to live your life; One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

BTW I am usually polite to religious door knockers on their first time about and make it clear to please not come back. If they come back, I don't feel obligated to show courtesy.

Edited by Devedander

So you like cherry-picking from religion? Nothing wrong with that, but you'll go a lifetime without meeting anyone that agrees with you. :D

... which has exactly been my experience, frankly. I guess i want it on my terms.

seriously, i guess my point is that i do not feel affilated with any institutionalized religon, be it catholic, protestant, jewish, muslim, buddhist, hindu (damn, if I have to name them all i will fail miserablyl) or paganism. While religons promote strong individual ethical values for the most past I think they (especially fundamentalists) followers of all sects have created a lot of misery in this world, and i just do not want to sign on. When John Lennon wrote "imagine no religon" I do not think he was necessarily talking about God (or god). Rember the documenatry basis for most religons eg: bible, are composed of texts written by man and in the case of the new testament, selected for their relevency by man, not God . (although Muslims dispute this)

Philosphically, i (like Deve potentially has ) have expanded my belief of what God may be to include a supreme bieng or spirit, that we may not necessarily know in our established relitions.

My girl believes in god as she always yells his name as well as jesus mary and joseph. Me on the other hand belives she believes I am god. As we are usually the only two in the room when she yells for them.

The most intelligent thing I have ever read was on an atheist website that said "in this day and age of science and technology anyone who worships god must be mentally ill. You don't believe in fairies or magic so why a supreme being that controls all and performs miracles?" I also think anyone who teaches their children that the earth is 6,000 years old and men lived with dinosaurs, contrary to scientific fact, should be locked up for child abuse. Pure rubbish.

?" I also think anyone who teaches their children that the earth is 6,000 years old and men lived with dinosaurs, contrary to scientific fact, should be locked up for child abuse. Pure rubbish.

yeah, the 6000 year thing is unbelievable. Yet another reason why i have problems with 'religons'

Guest aclaimsman
Good for you Vacuum, and your courage to say so. I'm with you.

NIL ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM

I believe in God and also believe that Jesus Christ is the savior of the world!

"No one gets out of here alive" Jim Morrison. EVERY argument for or against is moot, as the only way to find out is to die, thereby negating the argument. Just enjoy the time you have and never let a bad deed done to you go unpunished ;)

I belive in myself as god of my own life i dont have anything above or under me controling or dicateding what is wrong or right to do whit my life,and the good and evil in all humans is just as natural as earth and water.

If their was a god that made us onto this earth i realy think he is sitting up their thinking it was his biggest mistake ever :bicycle:

Cheers