When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Good review, Rob. This could be the answer to our ETA dilemna in the future. BTW, was this the movement that came out of the River sub?

Thanks,

Mac

I am not sure who it came from, it's a LV sub model, I will let the owner identify who it came from if he chooses to do so.

For any future comparison, I think we will have to look carefully at the pictures on the sellers sites...since there is no real ID on this model, we dont' want everyone to jump on the bandwagon calling everything "Asian ETA copy", that would just cause chaos again...

This looks identical to the ETA, not sure on the other so called variants out there, and what they look like...

RG

Can we change all spare parts of the copy 2824 with the genswiss 2824?

This is a gen swiss 2824-2

I know what a gen Swiss ETA looks like, I have dozens of them in stock...

I dont' know if all the parts are the same...it would take hours to swap and compare each and every part...from what I can tell, they are the same... Your most welcome to get one of these Asian ones and do the comparison for us...

I only have so many hours in a day to do this stuff, I have a day job, am a single dad with two kids, travel for my work, etc...this is the best I can offer at this time. Someone else can step up and do a part by part comparison if they want to.

RG

I know what a gen Swiss ETA looks like, I have dozens of them in stock...

I dont' know if all the parts are the same...it would take hours to swap and compare each and every part...from what I can tell, they are the same... Your most welcome to get one of these Asian ones and do the comparison for us...

I only have so many hours in a day to do this stuff, I have a day job, am a single dad with two kids, travel for my work, etc...this is the best I can offer at this time. Someone else can step up and do a part by part comparison if they want to.

RG

Sorry my friend...it was just a question.

I just put the pics for the members to compare....i will remove them.

My regards.

Sorry my friend...it was just a question.

I just put the pics for the members to compare....i will remove them.

My regards.

Understood...I only have so many hours in the day which is why I did not do a more detailed part by part comparison.... The big question is answered, this Asian copy is a good movement...

RG

Hey Rob,

Nice review! And not to rock the boat, but isn't that a copy of a 2836-2? The 2824-2 doesn't have a cover on the hour wheel, and the calendar driving wheel is totally different. That driving wheel is set up for day/date.

Cheers,

T

Hey Rob,

Nice review! And not to rock the boat, but isn't that a copy of a 2836-2? The 2824-2 doesn't have a cover on the hour wheel, and the calendar driving wheel is totally different. That driving wheel is set up for day/date.

Cheers,

T

You're correct of course, I did note it but did not bother to change the title...will do so now...

Good eye.

RG

@ The Zigmeister

Excellent post and news!!

BTW the movement I got from ofrei is not what I expected....so I didn't bother to let you know.

Cheers,

vaccum

Those machine marks bug me: If specific machines make tell tale marks, either some chinese factory has repped an ETA factory down to buying the same machines or could there be a chinese factory that maybe assembles movements out of ETA parts sourced perhaps from various places, or a little of both?

Sorry to post a probably dumb question, but I got completely confused... Are we speaking here of 2836-2 or 2824-2 movements?

Here is a copy of a post I made back in April 2005, at our former home... maybe we are seeing some of the same sort of thing here? In reality ETA would sub contract a lot of parts.

I don't know about the watch game - but can relate a story about marine aftermarket parts. ( This is in the late 80's)

I was in Taiwan sourcing aftermarket parts ( for my own business) and went to a factory where they were churning out outboard motor water pump impellors- price was great- and I asked if they had part no's stamped on them- was told you can have it with the Mercury number or without- we have 2 x dies. When questioned further- it was revealed that they actually manufactured the genuine for the OEM market- ie the brand manufacturer- How Mercury let them get away with this I don't know - but it went on for years- and I sold thousands!!

Eventually I was closed down by the company who were contracting the parts - but it was done in my country- and I know it continues to this day!!

I'm sure it happens in most industries- and the watch biz would seem a given for this sort of activity.

Offshore

Sorry to post a probably dumb question, but I got completely confused... Are we speaking here of 2836-2 or 2824-2 movements?

This movement is a copy of a 2836-2...I was initially told it was a advertized as a 2824-2, so went along that line when I did up the post initially, forgetting that it was a 2836-2 one...

I have since corrected the title and all the text to 2836-2.

Sorry for any confusion.

RG

Good review, Rob. This could be the answer to our ETA dilemna in the future. BTW, was this the movement that came out of the River sub?

Thanks,

Mac

Ditto what he said

Looks like an Eta and works like an Eta, maybe a solution to a future problem,

This movement is a copy of a 2836-2...I was initially told it was a advertized as a 2824-2, so went along that line when I did up the post initially, forgetting that it was a 2836-2 one...

I have since corrected the title and all the text to 2836-2.

Sorry for any confusion.

RG

Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, awesome post! (...as usual from you..)