When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any "Affordable" Gen That You Hope They Don't Replicate?

BigSlickAK

What's on your gen watch list?

I guess that was the whole point of me going after a Rolex Explorer II after years of collecting Reps in the early days. Breitlings, Daytonas, Pateks, etc were all very inaccurate, back in the mid 90's.

Today: WOW! :bounce: And so last year I bought a Gen Breitling B1. With a pretty confident idea that they won't ever get the quartz display correct :)

So anyways, I have the love of both Reps and Gens but I do want to ensure that my next gen purchase is never replicated to perfection.

I am pretty safe that the PAM233 will never be copied, but again that is a step up from being affordable!

Can anyone think of the watches in the sub $6,000 range that is safe from being copied? I'm kind of pondering getting a gen BALL or a Glashutte Navigator for my 2007 annual purchase.

Regards.

My list:

1 A German watch

2 A tobacco/brown dial watch

3 An affordable Minute repeater (excludes the Campanola, unless they work out some bugs on it)

4 A special edition Panerai

5 Tag Monaco 69

Edited by BigSlickAK
  • Like 1

I guess that was the whole point of me going after a Rolex Explorer II after years of collecting Reps in the early days. Breitlings, Daytonas, Pateks, etc were all very inaccurate, back in the mid 90's.

Today: WOW! :bounce: And so last year I bought a Gen Breitling B1. With a pretty confident idea that they won't ever get the quartz display correct :)

So anyways, I have the love of both Reps and Gens but I do want to ensure that my next gen purchase is never replicated to perfection.

I am pretty safe that the PAM233 will never be copied, but again that is a step up from being affordable!

Can anyone think of the watches in the sub $6,000 range that is safe from being copied? I'm kind of pondering getting a gen BALL or a Glashutte Navigator for my 2007 annual purchase.

Regards.

The Seahawk :p

I am pretty sure they won't rep the Sinn U1/U2 in near future.

They're just not able to treat the extrem hard submarine-steel.

Would not be cost propotional anyway for a $1000 watch either.

I agree, Sinn's are very nice pieces.

When I was over at anotehr board. I noticed a lot of Paneristi wearers really like the "Sammy"? I think that is a nickname for Samurai by Seiko?

Can anyone think of the watches in the sub $6,000 range that is safe from being copied?

Geez, that's what you call affordable? :)

Personally, I would go for a model with a movement that's not easy to replicate like for instance the Tag Heuer Moncao Chrono (only very poorly replicated with quartz mvmnt) and stay away from models that are based on ETA's like 2824, 2836, 7750, "Unitas" 6497 or "Lemania/Venus 175". Or look for a model with special functions like double chrono's and flybacks.

I have a couple of Invictas and Timex that I think are pretty safe. They're well within the <6k range.

The legendary Invicta 8926 with a Miyota movement has an outstanding reputation. The rep factories won't even go near it. They know that you just don't mess with a watch like that. With it's brilliant interpretation of the seamaster bezel and the sub dial and the Citizen guts....oh....I guess that it's already a rep. Never mind... :Jumpy:

How about the Seiko Orange Monster. Not likely to be repped any time soon, unless they are able to come up with a believable copy for about 19.95usd.

Armitron, Casio, Wenger, Fossil, Guess, all very fine timepieces that will likely escape the forger's grasp. :bleh:

How about one of Roland G Murphy's creations at RGM watches. Basically very small scale, almost one of, high quality production. Same thing with the Bozeman Watch Company in Montana USA. They outsource their production but they make some stunning COSC chronometers like the Sidewinder. Any of the high end, very small scale companies are not likely to be reped any time soon.

RGM - I bought one of his a number of years ago when he made under a 1,000 units a year. Got a great price off of Timezone. IMHO, he makes better Guilloche dials than the inventor (Breguet). I laways thought he used ETA movements though. The layout on my chrono is the same as a 7750. The sad part is I haven't seen it in a couple of years. I know it is sitting in the house somewhere. Just not sure where. :bangin:

RGM - I bought one of his a number of years ago when he made under a 1,000 units a year. Got a great price off of Timezone. IMHO, he makes better Guilloche dials than the inventor (Breguet). I laways thought he used ETA movements though. The layout on my chrono is the same as a 7750. The sad part is I haven't seen it in a couple of years. I know it is sitting in the house somewhere. Just not sure where. :bangin:

Roland turns his dials on a early 20th century engine lathe. He does not manufacture but none of the stock movements he works on look anytinng like off the shelf. He also drops old Hamilton size 10 movements into the Lancastrian with so much decoration on the bridges and plates that they are pure art.

From this

220100-14689.jpg

To this

220100-14690.jpg

www.rgmwatches.com

http://www.specialopswatch.com/cart/produc...61&option=4

;) Well the BALL's are in the sub $1000 range, and this MTM is about $500 :D I'm really into the LED and Gas Light technology...ever since The Zigmeister burned my Retinas with his Lume work.

OMG, you really did it now! Love those watches. Now I need to decide which. Damn, damn, damn......

I was always toying with the idea of a Traser, but these are awesome!

I have a couple of Invictas and Timex that I think are pretty safe. They're well within the <6k range.

The legendary Invicta 8926 with a Miyota movement has an outstanding reputation. The rep factories won't even go near it. They know that you just don't mess with a watch like that. With it's brilliant interpretation of the seamaster bezel and the sub dial and the Citizen guts....oh....I guess that it's already a rep. Never mind... :Jumpy:

How about the Seiko Orange Monster. Not likely to be repped any time soon, unless they are able to come up with a believable copy for about 19.95usd.

Armitron, Casio, Wenger, Fossil, Guess, all very fine timepieces that will likely escape the forger's grasp. :bleh:

actually there are reps of both the seiko monsters and the 007 divers. the pictures pop up on the seiko forum now and then. the 007's are not bad and use a chinese copy of the 7s26 but are pretty easy to spot for a seikoholic. the monsters pop up on ebay from unscrupulous asian ebay sellers...

Great stuff (watches and ideas). I flip through the WATCHTIME 2007 Buying Annual and it's got everything from $100 watches and up to a Million $. I've definitely seen the amazing RGM movements in many ads. Good to know about the Seiko Monsters being replicated. I admit I have a Gen G-Shock and then bought 2 really good copies from the Chinese Night Market just for the cool straps and parts to use.

I think I agree that the panaramic date on the GO Navigator is indeed tricky to copy. However there is a gen model w\o that unique date dial. Might be open for copying.

After I buy a Davidsen PAm next, I think the MTM Black Hawk in PVD black is next.

Hope everyone checks out Wrist Dreams .com that's where I find inspiring ideas for watch purchases (ie. Mp3, TV, Light, car ignition watches, etc)

bsak

Zenith - anything with a el primero

uslysse nardin -

Maxi Marine Chronograph

http://www.ulysse-nardin.com/e/collection....p;ID_Cat=100003

All non-reppable.

I agree with what phoband is getting at: in general any manufacture movement that has something--date, seconds, power reserve etc.--in a "non-ETA" place is probably safe from being repped. I bought the JLC master hometime for that reason--big date @ 4:30.

Another thing to look at is price--not very many sub $1500 watches get repped except for Tags, and there are some watches they'll never rep well enough to make you wish you hadn't bought the gen because of fit and finish--the Chinese could try for years to rep the fit and finish, dial pattern, and lume color of the Chopard Luc Pro 1 Diver, for example, and never get it right.

I like the loer end JLC's, but the entry level glashutte's are great buys--fantastic fit and finish and manufacture movements.

I agree with what phoband is getting at: in general any manufacture movement that has something--date, seconds, power reserve etc.--in a "non-ETA" place is probably safe from being repped. I bought the JLC master hometime for that reason--big date @ 4:30.

I too agree: Zenith and JLC have models from around 4k with complications placed completely differently from the eta and so on cn mvts.

They should never be repped, unfotunately. :wounded1:

Cheers

Stephane

I too agree: Zenith and JLC have models from around 4k with complications placed completely differently from the eta and so on cn mvts.

They should never be repped, unfotunately. :wounded1:

Cheers

Stephane

I agree as well, you'll be safe with both JLC and Zenith. You can pick up a really nice zenith open chrono for around 5k, ar a JLC master compressor.

Another brand you might be interested in is Kobold... I have a Spirit of America coming soon, but some of the PVD chronos they have are simply amazing looking, and built like a tank.

http://www.koboldwatch.com/

Another brand I don't see mentioned anywhere much is Damasko, cool tool watches along the same line as Sinn.

http://www.damasko.de/modelle.htm