When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I draw 2 lessons from The Zigmeister's post :

- sorry for the dealers but... some will tell you any buls*t to make you accept a watch. "it's a redesigned movement", "it has a long seconds hand"... :thumbdown:

Then you read The Zigmeister's post and feel like you're taken for an idiot. Which feeling remains ?

- the choice for a 7750 is there to generate more margin, there's obviously technically no reason for this specific choice against a SWISS ETA

I'm usually less negative while posting, but this time it's a pretty critical example of OVERpricing.

Fortunately we have both the board and The Zigmeister to feel less stupid.

I will boycott the dealers ! Until tomorrow... :wounded1:

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I draw 2 lessons from Ziggy's post :

- sorry for the dealers but... some will tell you any buls*t to make you accept a watch. "it's a redesigned movement", "it has a long seconds hand"... :thumbdown:

Then you read Ziggy's post and feel like you're taken for an idiot. Which feeling remains ?

- the choice for a 7750 is there to generate more margin, there's obviously technically no reason for this specific choice against a SWISS ETA

I'm usually less negative while posting, but this time it's a pretty critical example of OVERpricing.

Fortunately we have both the board and Ziggy to feel less stupid.

I will boycott the dealers ! Until tomorrow... :wounded1:

This is not something new, the misleading description of a movement from the dealers.

They still use the term "Lemania 1884", "Unitas", "Asian ETA" etc...none come close to describing what is actually in the watch. In this case, they were correct, it is a 7750, but how the seconds are modified etc is not true, there are no "Extra" gears, or special modifications, nothing but a normal 7750 with a bunch of parts missing...

All the more reason to look at this stuff first, and then decide what it actually is.

@kruzer

First one I have seen with spokes, but it needs them due to the size.

RG

This is not something new, the misleading description of a movement from the dealers.

They still use the term "Lemania 1884", "Unitas", "Asian ETA" etc...none come close to describing what is actually in the watch. In this case, they were correct, it is a 7750, but how the seconds are modified etc is not true, there are no "Extra" gears, or special modifications, nothing but a normal 7750 with a bunch of parts missing...

All the more reason to look at this stuff first, and then decide what it actually is.

RG

Fortunately, and again thanks to the boards and members, I have learnt a lot about wrong movement descriptions. That made me buying Swiss ETA, so called Asian ETA 2813 or the Seagull ST-19 knowing exactly what I was doing.

In this case, we speak of the well known 7750, with a modification that does not exist.

Well, not a big issue actually, if I had bought the watch, I would anyway have gone for the Asian 21J version, which is pretty close, if you exclude the lighter AR coating and obviously cheaper strap.

Many thanks for the review. Hope you can reduce the choppy seconds hand when it goes back together :thumbsupsmileyanim:

How will the relume be on this watch? There's quite a lot of real estate to relume - will this cause any particular challenges for you?

Regards

Rob

I must say... I've never been interested in the Chopard MM GT XL, mostly due to the size... But the look is growing on me.

As per usual... Very fascinating tear down Rob. I am curious, however... Due to the datewheel and extra large base plate... Could a Swiss 7750 ever go in as a replacement? That is... Are those specific Asian made parts compatible with the Swiss?

Many thanks for the review. Hope you can reduce the choppy seconds hand when it goes back together :thumbsupsmileyanim:

How will the relume be on this watch? There's quite a lot of real estate to relume - will this cause any particular challenges for you?

Regards

Rob

Just put the lume away, I think it looks good.

No real challenge, just have to make sure to minimize the variations of the lume so it looks smooth.

RG

Could a Swiss 7750 ever go in as a replacement? That is... Are those specific Asian made parts compatible with the Swiss?

Not without leaving out the mainplate and using the Asian mainplate.

Everything but the mainplate would be swappable between the Swiss and Asian, but it would not be a feasable modification as there would be little to gain by installing a Swiss in place of the Asian.

RG

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious here, but I have a "21j" version that looks extremely similar to the one in this thread on order from silix, and and I'm worried because the last thing I want is another 7750. . . . I've had my fill of dealing with that movement from the ONE that I had (of course Josh caused me to deal with it a couple more times than I should have had to). So, is the "21j" version from silix a 7750 (that I was thinking were 25j?), or a more generic Asian 21j?

Thanks!

EDIT: Well, comparing the "21j" model at silix to the "21j" and "7750" ones on Josh's site, I see a couple of differences in the rotor bearing area and a couple of other slight differences (slight to me anyway) that eased my mind. That along with the crazy amount of extra money they get for those 7750s anyway. . . Is there any reason that those should be $220 more than a 21j that from my experience runs great? My 7750 was a noisy nightmare.

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious here, but I have a "21j" version that looks extremely similar to the one in this thread on order from silix, and and I'm worried because the last thing I want is another 7750. . . . I've had my fill of dealing with that movement from the ONE that I had (of course Josh caused me to deal with it a couple more times than I should have had to). So, is the "21j" version from silix a 7750 (that I was thinking were 25j?), or a more generic Asian 21j?

Thanks!

EDIT: Well, comparing the "21j" model at silix to the "21j" and "7750" ones on Josh's site, I see a couple of differences in the rotor bearing area and a couple of other slight differences (slight to me anyway) that eased my mind. That along with the crazy amount of extra money they get for those 7750s anyway. . . Is there any reason that those should be $220 more than a 21j that from my experience runs great? My 7750 was a noisy nightmare.

Can you post links or pics of the movements...

There is no reason in the world for any asian movement to cost $220 more than any other...a genuine ETA XXXX maybe, but an asian movement? seems to be way out of wack to me...

RG

Yep, I've been a little intermittent on the board lately, and I was thinking we were trying not to post links or something, but I can't see how that would avoid any trouble I guess. . . So anyway, here is the movement picture for the "21j" version from Silix:

http://www.silix-prime.com/images/upfile/chos003-3.jpg

Here is the 7750 version from Josh:

http://www.perfectclones88.com/cp10007-gra...bph-p-2788.html

To each his or her own I guess, but I like these cheap plain jane (functionally anyway) Chinese movements, and I'm mystified by the cost of the 7750s.

The silix one is just a plain jane asian copy movement, most likely you can swap it out for a genuine Miyota if you chose to do so, then you would not have any worries about reliability.

If the 7750 powered one is $220 more that the other one, that is so overpriced it's not funny.

For my money, I would get the silix one, then see if a miyota fits, the cost for a miyota including the install is less than $100, and it will work for ever...they are a great movement.

RG