When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches that one do not wear should be sold right away!

Stephane

Dear All,

I have a problem deciding what to do.

I have quite a lot of watches now.

The first one I bought was a DayDate back in 1989 while at PatPong.

Then I stopped to buy reps and search for gens (cheap and middle range prices).

Back in june 2006, the fever really got me and I wanted to have a lot of reps.

I started to buy on eBay, which is not the best option, and got some watches in the house.

Finally I discovered this place by chance (RWG), watched it for a while, became a member, and started to learn.

I know exactly which watches I want now and, more important, which versions and mods.

So my question to you is: would I sell all the watches I never wear, including some great reps and some bad ones for less money that I spent to get them or should I just keep all of them ?

As examples, pls see here a Paul "perfect sub", a Trusty Ultimate 400$+ sub and a "Unknown seller" Fiddy aswell as a Daylight.

Paul

245165-8681.jpg

Trusty

245165-8682.jpg

Unknown

245165-8683.jpg

Unknown

245165-8684.jpg

Thank you so much for you advices.

Cheers

Stephane

If I had two sub's like you do for instance, then i would sell one of them, and keep another. I like to have variation and choice, in keeeping one you can always wear it if you have a day when you think, 'I really would like a sub n my wrist today'

As for the other two, I personally would keep them, but I like to hang onto things like that for those 'just in case' moments should I think at a later date I wish I hadn't sold them. It would be a shame to think a year later that you should have kept them. However, if you are sure in your mind that you have no place for them in your collection, then you may aswell let someone else have the pleasure of wearing them.

Incidently, I am looking for a submariner as I don't own any Rolex's. If you sell either of them please let me know, I will take one of them off of your hands with great pleasure Stephane :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i'm currently struggling with a similar debate....i think for me the key is how much i like a particular watch (or in the case of another addicting hobby, panerai strap) as opposed to how much wrist time it gets. i like having lots of watches to choose from; variety is the spice of life, or something like that.

as i look through my current collection, i only have one watch that i don't really love, and that is the iwc ingy amg ti chrono. i plan on posting it to the sale section soon.

hope this helps,

deltatahoe

Prior to reply to each of you, pls note that in my signature there is a bucket with some of my watches

@b16a2 well I have around 4 subs 16610 from which a 40$, a Paul Perfect, a Andrew Ultimate and a MBW. So, as you can imagine, I am not wondering which one to wear as I only wear my MBW anyway.

If you want one, feel free to pm me. I keep an updated spreadsheet with all my watches, their prices (I paid) and the date I bought them. So, I want to be helpful but will not sell any watch for less than it is currently sold elsewhere. In example, I paid 115

Often those early crap reps that you no longer want are reps that no one else on the forum really wants either.

I have two pre-RWG reps, one a small diameter Rolex Explorer that seemed nice at the time but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing now. It might actually be a good size for a woman, although my wife would not want it.

The second is an even smaller (33 mm) and coin-thin (5 mm) "Patek Philippe" quartz that is uninteresting in the extreme. It does have a somewhat attractive integrated bracelet, but that's about it.

I should probably just use the Explorer as a tear down experiment. The Patek isn't even really worth that effort.

As for my better reps, I strive to wear that ones that I own. I tried to sell a first generation two-tone Santos 100 a while back, but had no takers. In a sort of perverse way I think it actually looks a bit better as the gold plating has faded, but I still don't think this watch looks anywhere near as nice as a gen.

I also tried to sell a panda dial Speedmaster that was my first rep purchase. But I never really warmed to the dial. Then, after nobody bit on the sale offer for the Speedmaster, I decided to check around for a potential dial replacement. Paul came through with a black replacement dial for practically nothing, and suddenly I had a very, very attractive, comfortable, and wearable addition to my rotation, at least on weekends.

I agree with Ken. As a collector, I hoard what I have. There's 12 watches in my collection... I wear 2 of them consistently. The other 10? Well... They do a good job at collecting dust, but many of them have a lot of time, effort and money invested, so I doubt I'd ever get my money's worth back out of them even if I did want to sell them. I've given away a number of pieces to friends and family as a result; but most of what's left will be spending the majority of their time sleeping soundly in the watch box...

Me too. I have 20 currently. Wear 6 or 7 and the rest sit in the box.

But... I like most of them, and every once in awhile one or two jump on to my wrist.

6 or 7 others I think about selling, but never seem to take the time to do it.

Favorites come and go.

Lately the watch I like best these days - the IWC Pilot Chrono is the one that I wear most.

But things change.

Give away the ones you never wear away to a friend or two. If the really good ones you never wear are worth the money..try and sell them around here.

Crraappppp..........................do not listen to anyone who tells ya to sell, we are collectors therefore we collect.........horde is another good word :D

Ken

I also suffer from this affliction :black_eye:

Give away the ones you never wear away to a friend or two. If the really good ones you never wear are worth the money..try and sell them around here.

Yes, I give some away too... most friends and family love to get a rolex or breitling as a gift. The name means more to them than authenticity or imprecise details. :Jumpy:

Stephane, I think we all face a very similar situation with our watch collecting or any other similar hobby. It's normal to gravitate to certain watches as the collection expands but tastes do change over time.

I your case with te Subs, I would keep the MBW and perhaps the Trusty. Both have about the best cases available and may not be an easy find down the road plus they made it safely to your door step.

The Fiddy, I would keep if it has the Swiss ETA. It's a huge time keeper but very different. I admire the simplicity of the watch but my wrist could never pull of the 47mm beast. It's a darn nice piece to have in a collection.

The 196, it's a keeper for sure if it has the ultra rare ETA 7753. It is a stunning watch in the flesh which you might enjoy more with leather strap. That's a heck of a lot of metal with the bracelet. :lol:

I also have a few that I don't wear much but they are near impossible to find unless a member decides to part with them. I much enjoy my collection and not wearing them much doesn't necessarily mean I don't get a kick from having them. B)

Crraappppp..........................do not listen to anyone who tells ya to sell, we are collectors therefore we collect.........horde is another good word :D

Ken

I agree with Ken on this one. You don't ever sell watches because you have too many(there is no such thing as too many watches or too many bicycles). The only reason that it is acceptable to sell a watch is that you see one you absolutely got to have and you don't have any money. In that case, it's permissible to sell off some of your mistakes.

I sell all my watches that I don't wear. Sometimes it takes a while to realize that about some particular watch... sometimes you just get completely bored of some other watch... without any particular reason. Sometimes you might want to sell a watch to "upgrade" to the newer (and sometimes better) version.

But generally I don't to keep want any watches that never get any wrist time. I'm not a collector. Watches are designed to be worn.

But generally I don't to keep want any watches that never get any wrist time. I'm not a collector. Watches are designed to be worn.

Agree with you on this one By-Tor. I once had 13, now down to 5 + 1 gen. Quality over quantity every time for me.

I use to have 31, It was very hard to decide which watch should go. It got to a point that I spend at least 15-20 minutes in front of the mirror every morning staring at 31 watches before I go to work just deciding which watch to wear :black_eye: .

I love them all dearly, but I just held my breath decided which six should stay. I sold and gave most of it away.

Thanks guys for all your comments.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do though. :blink:

Now, when I read some of you having 5 or 10, I feel a little ashamed owning 45 watches currently and still looking at getting more. :bangin:

So I like the idea to give away some to friends (I already share wrist time with a friend by the way).

Cheers

Stephane

I'm considering a major cull of my collection to fund the purchase of a genuine. The reason I've not done this yet is because I can't decide what Gen to get. :blink:

Well at least you have an opportunity to answer the question "Who has the best sub ?" if you buy one :Jumpy:

I had same discussion with my self and I decided to keep only those that I really wear and also those that can not be easily replaced, except if I know I will never wear them again. I use to send for servicing all my reps, and also try to have them in perfect wearing conditions, which cost some extra money. I sold a MBW modded some time a go and I'm really repented so I'm back in he way of getting another MBW and sending for mods (same process) so I will never sell it again, for sure.

Stephane - what would you do with the cash if you did sell those unworn reps? Would whatever you did with money make you happier than keeping the reps? If so go ahead and sell - if not keep em. You need to think about what you really want to accomplish - now if you are fishing to guage interest for possible sales .... it is there - so go ahead and post them on the sales forum. Cheers

Stephane - what would you do with the cash if you did sell those unworn reps? Would whatever you did with money make you happier than keeping the reps? If so go ahead and sell - if not keep em.

Well that is a good point of view.

I would probably buy other watches but I'm lucky enough right now not to need the cash of the current I own so I will probably keep them all :g:

now if you are fishing to guage interest for possible sales ....

Not fishing at all.

Actually I would eventually sell my non MBW 16610 & 16710 only (which is only 3 watches in total).

In the beginning, my goal was to have every possible copy of the 16610 and get myself a gen too one day.

But I'm not sure I'm that exited with that original idea anymore.

I might prefer to sell 16610 and 16710 non MBW to fund mods for the MBWs in fact.

And, of course, if I decide to sell, I would post in the trade area, with pics and prices :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Cheers

Stephane

I have gone the other way - I once had four gen Rolex: 2005 TT Datejust, early 90's SS Datejust, early 60's SS Oysterdate precision, 80's TT Datejust plastic crystal Datejust - sold everything but the 80's two tone Datejust and did not buy anything for a few years until I found this forum. I am having the most fun with watches I have ever had. I can comfortably afford this game, whereas, the gen game was just too expensive for me play. Losing money selling off a few watches from the rep pool just does hurt like losing money selling off a gen. I took a beating on the 2005 Datejust because I bought it new and sold it a year and a half later - new Datejusts depreciate a lot in first few year before settling down - lesson learned - 50% depreciation on a $200 rep is hardly noticeable. Thanks to RWG and the members who have posted what they know, I am having a blast !!!! I have even accomplished a few simple mods of my own and am on my way to learning and buying and selling more. I know I rambled on a bit long about myself but please do share what gens you are considering Mr. Pug - I am genuinely interesed to hear your considerations. Cheers

I'm considering a major cull of my collection to fund the purchase of a genuine. The reason I've not done this yet is because I can't decide what Gen to get. :blink:

For me the importance is in the exploration, and have owned way over one hundred pieces

in the quest to find me..

If I would have kept every single watch, the money would have added up

to over $26,000, 19,233 Eur or 13,115 GBP by this time.

However by trading, and selling, was able to keep that figure down to less than $6000

while tasting many styles, sizes, finishes, bands, ect. ect.... which enabled me

to locate watches and brands that fit me exactly & personally, for my life, and esthetic

point of view.

It's been a very exotic journey, and one that I would not trade for anything,

though I may have come pretty close to the end of the road,

thus my purchases are much more particular...