When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Choosing a new laptop

ajoesmith

I need a new laptop

should i get Vista with all its problems or stick with XP? im thinking of getting XP

also ive always got a computer with an Intel processor, what about AMD? any good?

The laptop isnt for gaming or any other intense stuff, just regualr run of the mill work useage, word, excel, internet and of course RWG!!!!

Any help is much appreciated.

also any brand of laptop? i usually go for a dell but maybe others are better?????

cheers

I need a new laptop

should i get Vista with all its problems or stick with XP? im thinking of getting XP

also ive always got a computer with an Intel processor, what about AMD? any good?

The laptop isnt for gaming or any other intense stuff, just regualr run of the mill work useage, word, excel, internet and of course RWG!!!!

Any help is much appreciated.

also any brand of laptop? i usually go for a dell but maybe others are better?????

cheers

It depends...what is your price range?

It's a tough one - especially since laptops are company income tax deductible, and personal fringe benefit tax free here in Oz. So a lot of them are overpriced because some other sucker is picking up the tab (like business class air tickets).

Officeworks often have ones with manufacturer cash back offers that are as decent as anything else on offer. (See staticice.com.au for price comparisons). The benefit of the store is that you can go in and see them.

Be aware of that some of them have mobile processors, some of them regular processors which use up more power and thus have a shorter battery life.

It's possible to get one that will do all those things for less that AU$800 (using XP), the issue becomes longevity. You wouldn't want to use Photoshop on one of them say.

if you are willing to go to about 1000 (a little over)- you could get a MacBook which will both run Windows and Mac OSX. The OSX is less vulnerable to viruses, and they are really hot machines- I have one for home and one for office, and they are killer. The belief that Macs are more expensive is only true if you do not take into account all of the software and extras that come with a Mac; camera, photo and music management, basic word processing, good browser & mail apps- you really cannot go wrong. ALSO if you get 'Apple Care' you have limitless support.

Good hunting!!!!

-O

@ajs

I have been using Dell Laptops for 10 years and have had only one problem [a hinge that broke]...

Just purchased 2 new ones off the Bay back in December - Inspiron E1405

I would be more than Happy to accommodate you in the shipping process...

TT

PS: I haven't looked lately, but can you still get a new unit from a seller with XP?

I helped a friend last month with a Dell Desktop off the Bay and could only find Vista

My suggestion for current and future needs: Don't get less than 1G of memory, aim for 2G if you want to be set for the future.

I prefer Toshiba for laptops.

I have been using Vista since day 1 and am absolutely delighted with it. I would make sure that your new laptop comes with it installed... but check to make sure that people using your configuration (laptop plus adapters and basic apps) are happy with it.

I am old school. Have been with IBM since they invented the PC in 1982 (??). They are still very well constructed and their recovery software is the best. If inclined toward IBM look at the seller Thinkpadworld on eay. His prices are very good. If you are inclined to stick with XP you can pick up a last year's dual processor set-up with 1.5-2.0 gig of RAM within your price range.

MAC's are great. But buy new and with warranty. When they break and are out of warranty it is very expensive. The first thing to go is the link from the motherboard to the screen. Ended up replacing three this year. Then again, my irresponsible kids are the users. They are the coolest but you are either already a MAC user in which case you will use them until the day you die or you are not. ;)

Need an American member to help me out

Laptops are way cheaper in the states that Australia. but most sellers on ebay wont ship overseas.

anyone that can help me out please PM me asap

Thanks

Go with Dell.....and chk there web site often....they have sales going on every week....there Inspiron 1501/1505 were on sale last week for US$799 wt 120Gig HD and 1 Gig RAM...got one for my brother and my friend, each......and stay away from Vista?

Edited by HikeUSA

I'd advise anyone from buying outside their native country. You will get stiffed a lot on import duty. Oh, and any warranties will probably not be valid (and your household insurance may use it to wiggle out of any accidents it's covered for, too) and you really want a warranty on a laptop as when they go wrong, they go wrong expensively.

I buy Apple myself. The new MacBooks are amazing for the price and you can run MacOSX or Windows or even both.

If Apple are outside your budget, I'd steer clear of Vista, which means if you're buying a laptop with OEM Windows, you want a Dell loaded with XP. It's really that simple.

New Apple's must be cheaper where you are. I can't get one properly outfitted for less than $1200 and you end up at $1400 if you go to 1.5-2.0 gig of RAM - and that is on the 13" screen. 15" screen and you are promptly at $2,000. Now I am buying at the Apple Store (which is totally cool and open 24 hours a day here). If someone nows how to buy them cheaper please let me know. I don't use them but my 3 older kids would rather die than use something else. :) Unfortunately, kids are hell on laptops. :bangin:

AJS go to [censored] Smith or Harvey Norman and rent it, you will get the lastest unit for around $30 per month and it's tax deductable.

Ken

I second what Ken says here, basically you are leasing the laptop, with the option at the end to buy it, upgrade or return it. Works out cheaper in the long run, and although you don't own it by the end of the 3 years it is obsolete anyway and if anything like my current laptop (that I still have 2 months of payments to go on) it will take 10 minutes to boot up by that time without reinstalling windows (which I don't have my reinstall CD either :angry: )

But you are a student over here, right? So that may mean difficulties i actually getting a lease, a bit like being able to get a loan as you are not a resident.

New Apple's must be cheaper where you are. I can't get one properly outfitted for less than $1200 and you end up at $1400 if you go to 1.5-2.0 gig of RAM - and that is on the 13" screen. 15" screen and you are promptly at $2,000. Now I am buying at the Apple Store (which is totally cool and open 24 hours a day here). If someone nows how to buy them cheaper please let me know. I don't use them but my 3 older kids would rather die than use something else. :) Unfortunately, kids are hell on laptops. :bangin:

@ OP : with that price range you could go new and get something like one of the Toshiba satellites, but second hand you could pick up a bullet-proof IBM/Lenovo thnkpad t40 with centrino processor with about 1 or 2gb RAM for well within your budget, I have used these for years and they are the most solid workhorses of computers I have handled.

@Kruzer00 : If you want to buy an Apple for your children, and if they are in higher education, make sure to get the education discount offered by the company and you could have a 13" with 2gb Ram for $1160