When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SuperReps: an observation

Pugwash

I was one of those who was rallying that the SuperReps were way too expensive and that the hobby couldn't support these over-priced watches. However, I think it's time for all of us who complain about the high prices to finally accept that the market easily accepts the pricing as proposed.

Who currently has Cousteaus in stock? I've paid for mine and it's on back-order. Dealers are selling as many as they can get.

How many people rave over the Steelfish? I never thought I'd pay that for a replica, but it's the best replica ever made.

We're willing to pay the prices they're asking and they're willing to keep releasing new models. Looks like we've turned a page and SuperReps are part of the scene. We lost, it's time to accept that.

I'm calling for a moratorium on over-complaining about the prices. Let's move on to a battle we can win.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind paying more for a rep of a watch i really want but won't buy genuine. I try buy reps of watches that would cost $10,000 or more genuine new so even $500 for a rep isn't bad. There will always be a market for the high priced reps. Look where we started. 5 or 6 years ago a so so sub with eta movement was $500 anyway.

Hi All,

It's the famous Ubi signature: "Quality over quantity".

Cheap reps are not satisfying me anymore. Too many flaws, lack of quality and mvt issues.

In the two last weeks I had a JLC that stopped running and a crown that broke down on a Daylight.

500$ is the least an average rep costs after being moded anyway.

I would rather have expensiver super reps even for a couple of 100 more if they were "Exact" and not simply "Perfect or Ultimate".

Take the 3717: isn't it crazy that we must buy the day/date wheels from Cousins, get the parts, send them over with the watch taking the risk to loose the pack or get it seized, pay for the install and shipping two ways...I'de be happy to pay 500$ for that watch and save all the above problems.

Cheers

Stephane

I wasn't around before so can't really comment on the increased price but I guess that's capitalism for you. The price is set at what the market will bear and I guess the dealer's will keep testing new waters. Many people will justify it given that there's still a huge savings on some of the reps compared with the gen; depending on the watch of course.

For myself, I'm not willing to spend more than around $300 on a rep and then pay another couple hundred to have it modded, etc. If the movements were more reliable in terms of QC (not talking about oiling, cleaning, etc. cause that can be paid for) I'd be more likely to take the chance on it but, while certain movements can be good, there still seems to be risk in terms of the longevity to me.

Cheap reps are not satisfying me anymore. Too many flaws, lack of quality and mvt issues.

In the two last weeks I had a JLC that stopped running and a crown that broke down on a Daylight.

500$ is the least an average rep costs after being moded anyway.

I would rather have expensiver super reps even for a couple of 100 more if they were "Exact" and not simply "Perfect or Ultimate".

It seems to me that the "super reps" are only better in terms of aesthetics rather than quality of the parts (well except for maybe the crystals) i.e. they look better and are more accurate in terms of reproducing the gens. I guess that some may have the "Swiss" ETA movement rather than an Asian clone for example, but even those can have issues with quality control given that they're not really Swiss movements.

IMO you're just as at risk of getting a broken crown on a "super rep" as on your Daylight. Someone correct me if I'm wrong because, as my previous post said, I'm pretty new to this and just going by what I've read.

The so called "super reps" have been around a long time now it's not a new thing

It's just that there are more of them now and they are more easily available.

I remember 4-5 years ago paying $650/$700.00

for a PAM 00047 with a russian 3133 chronograph movement, and a Daytona 6263

with the same movement, they were just a little harder to find.

I think that as long as people are prepared to pay the price they will continue to

be produced. Just my 10 cents!!!

for a PAM 00047 with a russian 3133 chronograph movement, and a Daytona 6263

with the same movement, they were just a little harder to find.

Were these reps 1:1 cases with AR etc.?

ps. I know the daytona didn't have AR in gen, but you know what I mean ...

The prices are also increasing for replicas of a few months. I have ordered a BCE yesterday and the price was already up up up up :wounded1: .

Super reps ? I thinks this is only an example of good reps ... defects remain ... problems still

$718 for the new HBB black magic... we are still talking about a crappy Asian 7750 and a coated steel case. So what it has a ceramic bezel... you don't pay $200 for a porcelain cup at walmart do you? The only difference is that it's made from a different clay (gres) and baked at a different temperature. The bezel is 100th of the amount of clay that goes into a cup... so why pay so much extra $$$$$ ?

But most important, for that kind of money there shoud be a decent QC..... not a role of the dice whether or not your watch looks and functions the way it should.

I will never spend more on a rep than $300.... for $718 you can buy a beautifull second hand SuperOcean or Tag.... and even second hand a gen is still better finished than a rep.

My 0.002

Edited by Rolexman

Just came in to write the same as Rolexman : 718 dollars for an Asian 7750.

Let's go on this way, and we will soon find cheaper swiss gens than this tiny cute chinese thingies... <_<

I love watches, I love reps, but whatever the job is on this fantastic Hublot, I don't see any good reason to pay twice the price of a good rep, and 300 dollars more than the cheapest Hublot. Seems there's no limit. Demand is elastic, but might break soon...

People are paying more mainly due to:

1) Ignorance

2) Better and rising economies (people they have more money to spend)

3) Easier access to reps

4) some how improved visual of reps.

Yes yes I agree <_<

and IWC CD with all the problems that I hear here and there ...... no, no , will not come in to my list until early to mid 2008.

the best ... the best ... only words ... only prices inflated ... up up up stand-up ... QUALITY OVER QUANTITY (UBIQUITOUS)!!! :victory:

I don't believe that the battle is endend ... great is number of wrong and broken supreps ... great they are the complaints...

I think the price must go down if the quality of supreps goes down :thumbdown: ... is matter of time... <_<

visits of this post today :

MAHLER , insane , diggs , rolli , hank7502 , sjako , subzero1 , Sql_pl , Chicken Manny , DuDro , Bignasty , Everythingape , tonton2000 , tictoc21 , randstad , grinbo , rkdk , pwygant , The Zigmeisterzumba , pollux1 , bigpops , Jetsons , sssurfer , Pix , m4rcus , jraines87 , linkukbora , Dani , dluddy, docblackrock , RiverwindMDS , azmindreader , Nanuq , Usil , RICHARD LAWTON , Moppel , dachshund , lovepanerai , a german in denmark , fitmic , bertieng , coolfire , Polynomial , ravishingrick , kanerich , Stephane , colinmgzt , FxrAndy , Mickey Padge , chris5264 , tenacious_b , b16a2 , jfreeman420 , jamesg , ubiquitous , Pugwash, Tourby, ShawnBeever, vlaletom, deepsea, Jumbie, Satori , jleraflo, jkpadget2, Mikep, Richard Tracy, vintagerolex, Febus, Luke, pubus, ryyannon, Chrischy, Yannou, kasigi , Fireman_Fred, FxrAndy, frankpower88, PAMman, kenberg, Woody, tonton2000, Typhoon, b16a2 , seank1, add46.88, rosnik

the best ... the best ... only words ... only prices inflated ... up up up stand-up ... QUALITY OVER QUANTITY (UBIQUITOUS)!!! :victory:

I don't believe that the battle is endend ... great is number of wrong and broken supreps ... great they are the complaints...

I think the price must go down if the quality of supreps goes down :thumbdown: ... is matter of time... <_<

I think pugwash's point is that despite flaws, etc. people re obviously still buying these reps. Therefore there is no reason for the price to come down. In fact, they only seem to be climbing.

First they make a rep for $200 and people say it's expensive then still buy it. Then $350 - expensive but they still buy it. $600, $800, $1000 - all the same thing.

As long as they're/we're buying them, there is no reason to lower the prices even with whatever flaws they have.

I think pugwash's point is that despite flaws, etc. people re obviously still buying these reps. Therefore there is no reason for the price to come down. In fact, they only seem to be climbing.

First they make a rep for $200 and people say it's expensive then still buy it. Then $350 - expensive but they still buy it. $600, $800, $1000 - all the same thing.

As long as they're/we're buying them, there is no reason to lower the prices even with whatever flaws they have.

I think only one reason remained... too many broken supereps to have one good :black_eye: ... too many too many broken... <_< to have one good...

I think only this is the "ultimate reason" ... for this battle ... :wounded1:

That's unfortunately true.

Though it only applies to either newbies or infrecuent buyers.

If you are in to reps 3+ years (veterans) and you own more than 10+ reps then sooner or later you discover that:

1. Control your impulse when and how buying

2. Wise buyers read a lot and wait a lot

3. Not worth spending money (any kind of money) on something that has 50% chances to

it all depends on your money too. If a 400usd is your month income I doubt that you would spend 800usd on Hublots BB rep anyway.

Thats about my students part time job income and I am afraid I wont get any BB or latest IWC before my salary at least triples. Period

I could spend that on gen, but not on any rep for sure.

And yes, Ive waiter 1yr to buy PO. I knew that first realeased reps would be less accurate and higher priced, maybe overpriced even. I think I made a good move.

Unfortunately,...People are going to buy what they want, from who they want...

Look what happened when several traders were caught and exposed selling fake eta's.....

Nothing - Nada - like it never happened...

There is no unity except with a core of people... the rest are simply here to drive to the window,..

to take a quick glance at the menu,.. and pull the trigger,..

All this talking we are doing is so much static to them,.. they tune it out,.. and some even go

so far as to post threads about Not Disturbing their blissful ignorance.... :yawn:

Look what happened when several traders were caught and exposed selling fake eta's.....

Nothing - Nada - like it never happened...

For what it's worth it prevented me, as someone new to the rep game, from buying from the cartel dealers because I don't make a habit of buying from dishonest people.

It's one thing to be dealing in illegal goods, but another to lie to your customers about it.