When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Perfect Sub giveaway

citabria72

I took my new perfect sub from Brandon in to the jeweler today to have a link removed. She immediately commented (glad no one else was in the store) that sometimes the screws break on these "immitation Rolexes."

When asked what she waw that indicated that it was an imitation, she replied "weight."

Has anyone weighed their perfect sub and compared it to gen?

This was a large, rotund woman, so maybe her estimate of weight is skewed. :)

john

I don't think there is enough of a variance for someone to be able to tell the difference in weight.

If the woman is used to handling gens, then maybe she was commenting more on "feel" then weight. I don't know how to describe it, but there is definately a difference in feel. I've never owned or even held a so called 'perfect' sub, but I can tell you every single rep that I have owned or held, does not feel right. I've had four gens, and there is definately a different feel to them.

The weight thing is a complete bs-old-wives-tale, spewed out by salesmen & novices who know little to nothing about these pieces other than "it's not 'ticking...'". My gen was 138 grams, and all my reps (from EL, Andrew, & Josh) have all been between 135-140 grams, depending on how many links were removed for sizing. They probably knew it was a fake by the over-all quality/look, but couldn't put their finger on exactly what, due to lack of education; otherwise they would have called out rehaut, etc.

When I got my first sub. I handed it to my wife and she said that the band felt cheap. I think the sharp edges were the give away. The deployment clasp is also thinner than any of my other watches. Maybe there is a slight difference in thickness or something between the rep and the gen.

i dont have a scale but i think there is a big difference between the old solid link and the new hollow link oyster bracelets. the solid link is noticably heavier in the hand. i personally hate the new hollow links. why make it lighter? You ever pick up a breitling bentley? its like 2 lbs hahaha

When I got my first sub. I handed it to my wife and she said that the band felt cheap. I think the sharp edges were the give away. The deployment clasp is also thinner than any of my other watches. Maybe there is a slight difference in thickness or something between the rep and the gen.

Even the gen bracelet and especially the clasp is crappy and cheap feeling haha. They need to make a newer daytona style clasp or something that looks and feels more solid.

I don't think there is enough of a variance for someone to be able to tell the difference in weight.

If the woman is used to handling gens, then maybe she was commenting more on "feel" then weight. I don't know how to describe it, but there is definately a difference in feel. I've never owned or even held a so called 'perfect' sub, but I can tell you every single rep that I have owned or held, does not feel right. I've had four gens, and there is definately a different feel to them.

Yeah, i think the 'feel' is where it is at too. I've looked at several Omega POs at the AD, and after getting my PO from silix, the weight is certainly the same but they don't have the same feel to them. I'm sure you're right and this is what she picked up on.

Even the gen bracelet and especially the clasp is crappy and cheap feeling haha.

This is true and judging a gen or rep by the weight is total bulls*it.

How could one notice 2 or 3 grams difference ? :blink:

Our beloved subs or the gens are looking crappy and cheap anyway.

That's why we love them :lol:

People feel like they must comment our subs and do not know what to say; so they go for "sweeping hand not smooth enough or weight too light"...

Make a test with a brand new gen. You'll get the same kind of comments as most people assume it's fake anyway ;)

Cheers

Stephane

I have compared my perfect sub from Andrew (black one) with a gen 50th anniv. today (both in the hand) :

- quality strap is totaly different, but i am not an Rolex expert, and i don't understand when you speak about rigid link ??? Anyway my subs's bracelet looks very cheap.

- but what has reaaly shock me was the visible difference on size marker : really thin on rep in comparaison with gen (all marker : circle and 3/6/9/12) ...... i was thinking that our reps' dial were pretty good :wounded1:

Anybody confirm ?

The Jos subs I have dealt with (ETA, non perfects) have been called out by the following:

watchsmith: "I can just tell after 25 years in the business. They feel different. Its nice though"

long time rolex owners: "too light/cheap feeling, but very nice copy"

the one's that seem to pick it out as a rep do so very quickly, and those are probably the one's that you were going to be hard pressed to fool no matter what you do.

The rep HL bracelt doesnt have the buttery fit and finish of the gen. But its close.

I have compared my perfect sub from Andrew (black one) with a gen 50th anniv. today (both in the hand) :

- quality strap is totaly different, but i am not an Rolex expert, and i don't understand when you speak about rigid link ??? Anyway my subs's bracelet looks very cheap.

- but what has reaaly shock me was the visible difference on size marker : really thin on rep in comparaison with gen (all marker : circle and 3/6/9/12) ...... i was thinking that our reps' dial were pretty good :wounded1:

Anybody confirm ?

When you say 50th anniversary do you mean a green insert (LV) one, if so they have what is called the maxi dial, with fatter hands and markers.