When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Superocean steelfish

watcher

As I'm about to receive this model form PT has anyone substantiated the claims of 1000met. water resistance or is just rep talk as usual?

I have sat on the fence for a while on this one but now I quite like it and want to wear it daily and go near water on a regulaer basis. Has anyone pressure tested it yet. I realise all reps vary and one being waterresistant does not mean another of the same type will be but it might give an overall impression of build quality on this model. :rolleyes:

hi,

today my watchmaker has testet my steelfish with an high end vacuum machine.

it shows the expansiveness of the watch case with vacuum pressure.

he tested with 3atm.

the result, the steelfish is not waterproof. really bad news.

i hope i will get a new one which is waterproof.

cheers

rolli

hi,

he tested with 3atm.

cheers

rolli

what was the version of yours...swiss or asian movement?...maybe the cheaper/asian has a lower water resistance...

Yea, some dealer guarantee waterproof so lets hope you got it from one of them.

However what depth is 3atm equally to?

what was the version of yours...swiss or asian movement?...maybe the cheaper/asian has a lower water resistance...

here the leak checker machine which my watchmaker used for the steelfish test.

rolli

post-2837-1183540815_thumb.jpg

hi,

he tested with 3atm.

cheers

rolli

3 ATM = 30 meters

official meaning:

3atm = maximal water resistant >>>>>>>> handwashing, rain,

5atm = maximal water resistant >>>>>>>> to do the dishes, work in the kitchen, bath,

10atm = maximal water resistant >>>>>>>> swimming, snorkeling, shower,

20atm = maximal water resistant >>>>>>>> diving with compressed air equipment,

rolli

official meaning:

3atm = maximal water resistant >>>>>>>> handwashing, rain,

5atm = maximal water resistant >>>>>>>> to do the dishes, work in the kitchen, bath,

10atm = maximal water resistant >>>>>>>> swimming, snorkeling, shower,

20atm = maximal water resistant >>>>>>>> diving with compressed air equipment,

rolli

Rolli,

Not sure where your "official" chart came from but 10atm (approx. 270ft of depth) to swim snorkel or shower? You either have the ability to hold your breath a hell of a long time or you take showers under a high pressure fire hose. WOW! When I snorkel/spearfish I regularly dive to a depth of about 40ft (12.192 Meters for you Euros or a little over 2atm) and have never had so much as a spec of condensation under the crystal.

I had my rep sub pressured checked to 3atm (Approx 66ft in depth) and I have been swimming, snorkeling, surfing and jacuzzying for almost a year now and it is working flawlesly. Go here for my original post on the watch: Waterproof Sub

Remember: Always believe half of what you read on the net and then half it again...

Try this conversion chart to get an idea of the presure exerted on a watch at depth (every atmosphere is about 15psi of pressure or 101.35 kilopascals)

*** ATM ***

ATM is the water depth in atmospheres. If ATM is used in place of feet, then all the other calculations are easier. It is my suggestion to always convert feet to ATM, then do the calculations, or get the answer in ATM, then convert to feet.

The following is a chart to show ATM v. feet:

1 atm = sea level

2 atm = 33 feet in salt water

3 atm = 66 feet in salt water

4 atm = 99 feet in salt water

5 atm = 132 feet in salt water

ATM = (Depth Feet in salt water / 33) + 1

In converting from feet to ATM, divide by 33 then add one.

Adding one is because sea level is 1 ATM.

-----Example: 56 feet in salt water is (56 / 33) + 1 = 2.7 ATM

Depth Feet in salt water = (ATM

Edited by jake48

Rolli,

Not sure where your "official" chart came from but 10atm (approx. 340ft of depth) to swim snorkel or shower? You either have the ability to hold your breath a hell of a long time or you take showers under a high pressure fire hose. WOW! When I snorkel/spearfish I regularly dive to a depth of about 40ft (12.192 Meters for you Euros) and have never had so much as a spec of condensation under the crystal.

I had my rep sub pressured checked to 3atm (Approx 101ft in depth) and I have been swimming, snorkeling, surfing and jacuzzying for almost a year now and it is working flawlesly. Go here for my original post on the watch: Waterproof Sub

Remember: Always believe half of what you read on the net and then half it again...

Jake I think you need to read grans post about presures and water resistance!

Read here

Jake I think you need to read grans post about presures and water resistance!

Read here

You guys are quick - by the time I made the math corrections and re-posted your post was already up! Do I pass now?

Also, as far as water pressure exerted on a watch case due to water force or a wrist moving through the water - every thing you read is pure speculation based on even more speculation. What I can tell you is fact - My watch tested to 3atm - I surf with it. I can't really see someone having more water force moved against their watch swimming, snorkeling or in the shower than a 6ft wave crashing on your head. All I can tell you is that I have been surfing with this CN Sub at least 60 times the past year and it works fine. Would I swan dive from a 60ft cliff into the water with it on my wrist and expect it to hold? - You bet!

I see a lot of people give advice or speculate because they heard someone say, or they think X based on X or read X so X must be true - What I am telling you is real world, put it to the test, stuff. My advise for anyone wondering what would happen if they jumped form a 3 meter platform with their watch on is - DO IT!

Find out for yourself! It is a heck of a lot more fun than holding back because some one said that some one said that...

You might even find that there are a lot less "Watch Gurus" out there than you thought. Heck, you might even become a watch Guru yourself!

Edited by jake48

here from this link: http://www.bluedial.com/BD_wr.htm

rolli

Water Resistance and Watches

There are several features that help make a watch water-resistant. The most important is the gaskets, or 0 rings-made of rubber, nylon or Teflon which form watertight seals at the joints where the crystal, case back and crown meet the watch case. if the watch is a chronograph, the chronograph pushers will also have gaskets.

In addition, water-resistant watch cases are lined with a sealant, applied in the form of a quick-hardening liquid, which helps keep water out.

The thickness and material of the case is also a big factor in determining whether a watch can safely be worn underwater. The case must be sturdy enough to withstand pressure without caving in. In general, this means a steel or titanium case or a steel case plated with gold, manufacturers say. Solid gold cases can be water resistant provided they are sufficiently thick.

A screw-in case back, as opposed to one that pushes in, also contributes to a watch's water resistance. A screw-in crown, a feature of many divers' watches, helps prevent water getting into the case through the watch-stem hole. When it is screwed down it forms a water tight seal much like the seal between a jar and its lid.

Definition of Water Resistance

The different levels of water resistance as expressed in meters are only theoretical. They refer to the depth at which a watch will keep out water if both watch and the water are perfectly motionless. These conditions, of course, are never met in the real swimmer's or diver's world. In real life, the movement of the wearer's arm through the water increases the pressure on the watch dramatically; so it can't be worn to the depths indicated by lab testing machines.

Usage Recommendations

The following usage recommendations are suggested by most watch manufacturers.

Water-resistant to 30 meters (100 feet). Will withstand splashes of water or rain but should not be worn while swimming or diving.

Water-tested to 50 meters (165 feet). Suitable for showering or swimming in shallow water.

Water-tested to 100 meters (330 feet). Suitable for swimming and snorkeling.

Water-tested to 150 meters (500 feet). Suitable for snorkeling.

Water-tested to 200 meters (660 feet). Suitable for skin diving.

Diver's 150 meters (500 feet). Meets ISO standards and is suitable for scuba diving.

Diver's 200 meters (660 feet). Meets ISO standards and is suitable for scuba diving.

Please note that we do not recommend swimming or diving with your watch unless it has a screw-down crown (also known as screw-lock or screw-in crown) and is water-resistant to at least 100 meters.

Care for a Water Resistant Watch

It is not recommended to wear your water resistant watch in a hot shower, sauna or hot tub. The extreme heat causes the metal parts to expand at a different rate than the rubber gaskets. This creates small openings that can allow water droplets to penetrate the watch. Sudden temperature changes are especially harsh. Take care not to jump into a cold pool after wearing your watch in the hot tub.

After swimming or diving in salt water, immediately rinse the watch in a stream of fresh water. If your watch has a rotating bezel, turn the bezel several times while rinsing it. This will prevent salt buildup and corrosion of the bezel ring.

Some chemicals can corrode the gaskets and make it vulnerable. Heavily chlorinated water can cause problems, as can spray-on perfumes and hairsprays that work their way into the watch's seams and damage the gaskets. (They can also damage your watch's finish.)

Leather straps can be made to be water resistant too. Generally however, leather straps are more easily damaged by frequent exposure to water. So if you are going to wear your watch while swimming -- think of buying one with a metal bracelet or a rubber or nylon diver strap.

here from this link: http://www.bluedial.com/BD_wr.htm

rolli

Water-tested to 50 meters (165 feet). Suitable for showering or swimming in shallow water.

Water-tested to 100 meters (330 feet). Suitable for swimming and snorkeling.

Rolli - Are you reading this stuff? Showering and swimming in "shallow" water at 165ft?

Swimming and snorkeling at 330ft?

That guide must be for superman. I don't know about you, but being a mere mortal and all, I consider "shallow' water around 3ft and when I swim, along with most of the people I know, we rarely snorkel to depths of 330ft.

Well, there was this on time I was snorkeling off the coast of Thailand and I saw a mermaid and... well... that is another story!

Edited by jake48

I see a lot of people give advice or speculate because they heard someone say, or they think X based on X or read X so X must be true - What I am telling you is real world, put it to the test, stuff. My advise for anyone wondering what would happen if they jumped form a 3 meter platform with their watch on is - DO IT!

I agree with this totaly however

I dont know if you are trying to be funny but

Rolli - Are you reading this stuff? Showering and swimming in "shallow" water at 165ft?

That guide must be for superman. I don't know about you, but being a mere mortal and all, I consider "shallow' water around 3ft and when I swim, along with most of the people I know, we rarely snorkel to depths of 330ft.

Itdoes not mean that you can swim down to 165 ft it means that a watch tested to 165ft would be sutable to swim in. If you had read Grans post you may have realised this.

I agree with this totaly however

I dont know if you are trying to be funny but

Itdoes not mean that you can swim down to 165 ft it means that a watch tested to 165ft would be sutable to swim in. If you had read Grans post you may have realised this.

FX -

Yeah, I read Grans post, in fact I read it when he first posted it. I just happen to see it different. And you are correct my friend, it is with a touch of humor that I like to post, as I don't really take any of this stuff that serious. I realize the depths shown in feet are a guide based on a calculation as the writer tries and relates the depths to real world activities (ie swimming, diving etc) but it illustrates my point perfectly.

What equation was used? What factors were considered? What watch was used? What was the water force against the watch? Was it salt water or fresh water? What was the temperature of the water? Was the swimmer Guamanian or Indonesian? Did they purchase the watch at Costco or Tourneau's?

My guess is if you went back to the original "data" for the guide, you would find someone just took a huge guess!

Look at the chart and apply some common sense - 330ft is the recommended depth for a watch that passes a pressure test and all it is good for is swimming and snorkeling? Come on man! Go test it for yourself - I have. My watch was good for 3atm (66ft - allowing 1atm for sea level) and I surf with it - according to the guide it is good for "handwashing, rain" I don't know the exact physics of water pressure exerted by a wave (although my son did a science project on this exact subject) but I know the resulting force of a wave is not measured in PSI (Pounds per Square Inch) but in TONS!

You must be washing your hands pretty vigorously if that is all it is good for according to that guide.

I read an interesting theses based on Bernoulli's Equation NASA LINK as it relates to fluid dynamics moving over enclosed sealed objects. In part, the paper I read used the phenomenon of a hurricane (wind speed) moving over an enclosed object (house) to demonstrate how a low pressure area is created OUTSIDE of the house if all the windows and doors are shut. This low pressure is what causes the windows to blow OUT (not in) when a hurricane passes over a house with closed windows and doors. In effect the pressure in the house is greater than the pressure outside of the house do to the moving air and subsequent low pressure created.

Farmers in the Midwest don't understand the physics of Bernoulli's Equation, but for years they knew that if you open the doors on both sides of the barn during a hurricane you stood a much better chance of the barn being there after the hurricane was over. Real world baby!

This is the same principal that lifts a jumbo jet in the air (fast moving air over the top of the wing and slower moving air on the bottom) high to low pressure creates lift.

Now apply this proven theory to a watch. It doesn't take much of an imagination to assume that there is a very real chance that rushing water over a watch may create a low pressure area outside of the watch and you stand a good chance of making the watch MORE water resistant to water leaking in than if the watch were just sitting static in the water as the pressure will be GREATER in the watch than the low pressure outside of the watch.

Of course, I am not talking about a high pressure blast to a watch case, but again, apply some common sense. Just look at your watch case - are there any direct lines that blasting water can actual have a straight shot in line with a sealing point? Not on any of my watches. Most watches have overlapping edges on their crystals, case backs and crown tubes. Not likely that a watch sealing point will even take a direct blast of water due to diving or moving your hand through the water.

I call Bull$h!T on all the witch doctor science that says a watch subjected to moving water is more likely to leak!

Let's see it in the real world - not someone who searched the net and found something that isn't even based on real world experiments!

Anyways - just BS's and trying to have a little fun!

Don't be afraid! Have your watch pressure checked. If it is good to 3atm, go give it a thrashing. I think you might be surprised as to what it will endure.

Oh, and one more thing - I don't know Gran - he seems like a nice guy and all, but he kinda of proves my point in his post as well. He says "Dont ever jump of a cliff with you watch on....never ever do it..not even from 1 or 2 meters up" Since Gran probably follows his own advise I would bet that he has never jumped from a cliff with a watch on so how would he know it won't make it?

I can tell you this - I have jumped, numerous times, from a lot higher than 2 meters. and my watch walked away to see another day!

Jump Gran Jump!

Edited by jake48

Jake if you click on the wording in my sig you will see that i have tested all my sports watches my own way, my daughter loves it when i get a parcel as it is off to the pool for us. I am of the oppinion that if it has a screw back and crown and the glass doesent fall out when you turn it over, then give it a bath. The hardedest test my watches get is proberbly in the rian on my bike, what with vibrations ect.

I hope you last coment was also writen with humor in mind other wise could be seen as a tad off!

Jake if you click on the wording in my sig you will see that i have tested all my sports watches my own way, my daughter loves it when i get a parcel as it is off to the pool for us. I am of the oppinion that if it has a screw back and crown and the glass doesent fall out when you turn it over, then give it a bath. The hardedest test my watches get is proberbly in the rian on my bike, what with vibrations ect.

I hope you last coment was also writen with humor in mind other wise could be seen as a tad off!

Andy - Are you a Britt? (it's a joke Andy- Britts are known for their dry, some would say - no, sense of humor) Of course I wrote it with humor - According to my wife I am a little crazy, but she still laughs at me never the less. Hell, I laugh at myself!

I agree with you 100% on the vibration thing! In fact I was just thinking about that very topic as it relates to the potential for damage to your watch. I destroyed a mechanical watch the first time I took one on a mountain bike ride due to the vibration. I was thinking that the odds are probably much greater that you would wreck your watch due to vibration from swinging a hammer or riding on a bumpy trail than water getting in and ruining it.

Glad to hear that you test in real world conditions. My point is that we all spend a lot of time guessing what would happen, when in fact, if you go out and give it a try you might be surprised to find that what a lot of people seem to take as fact, is not even remotely close to reality!

I certainly would never trust a rep watch for a 150ft dive, but there is no reason that a diver style rep that is properly sealed and tested for a max of 3atm should be just fine for swimming, snorkeling and YES - dare I say it - DIVING INTO THE WATER!

IF Gran says never, ever, dive into the water wearing a watch and I have not only dove into the water wearing a rep, but done it repeatedly, what does that say about Grans edict?

(and trust me- I am not "just lucky")

Edited by jake48

All this drivel for a $300 watch ,, if it leaks and worse case the movement gets a little rusty go get it serviced , cleaned , or buy another 2824 for $60 and have it fitted.

I mean all this macho stuff about Surf boards spear fishing and deep sea diving...... Come on folks ,, most of us dont like to get our hair wet!!! Who are you all trying to kid??

Stand by with the hairdryer....

TomH

Edited by TomH