When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Two Tone & Gold Rep Rarely Gets Praise??

Guest RolexRich

Guest RolexRich

It seems that Rarely anyone says Two Tone or Full Gold Replicas (in Rolex for instance) is close or exact match to the gen.

why is this so? is it due to the difficulty matching a real gold color?

What must I look out for to find the best two tone or full gold replica?

I am more towards Rolex, so I'd want Rolex rep in two tone or Full Gold theme

Thanks for any comments

I have trouble understanding why people need to have the weight, I mean they know its a rep so they know its not full gold so keep it on your wrist and don't start handing it around.............problem solved :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ken

There are some tt subs out there that are mighty beautiful and very close to the real deal. Several dealers have blue dial tts that are no harder to distinguish from the real watch than any other sub replica. I have two tt sub reps, and there's nothing about the gold that will give them away to the casual admirer, even on a close look. If you really inspect it thoroughly and know what you are looking for, it still isnt' the gold that's going to give it away first; it's the depth of the dial ring (rehaut) and possibly the blue tone of the dial itself. Those (to me) stand out moreso than the fact the end link is plated and not solid gold, which is the most widely cited flaw. But the color of the gold is good and will not give it away at all.

If you like the tt sub, I'd encourage you to get it because it is beautiful.

I have trouble understanding why people need to have the weight, I mean they know its a rep so they know its not full gold so keep it on your wrist and don't start handing it around.............problem solved :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ken

Perhaps it is just another variable. Just a few hours ago, I held a 53 thousand dollar (USD) Ulysse Nardin sold gold watch from an AD. The thing was like a brick. I guess it is just another one of those noticable differences....personally, I really don't care to match the gens in every way, but some seem to...

Ken

I definitely agree but out of pure curiosity: anyone know how many grams/ounces gen full 18K Subs, Yachtmasters, and DDs weigh? Thanks.

Well, I've told stories about my father's gold DayDate president that I got him a while back. He owned a Gen. gold DayDate president that he gave to my brother prior to this one I got him from EL. He can't tell the difference and he loves it. He says it feels like the gen in all instances...and he feels better wearing it around town just because he knows it doesn't cost the 11k that the other did. He was a bit concerned, due to a bit of crime in the area, that if it was stolen, he'd be upset to lose such an expensive watch.

He's very pleased with the rep; the gold is still as sharp and shiny as the gen and his conscience is eased as well. Oh, and it keeps perfect time.

It seems that Rarely anyone says Two Tone or Full Gold Replicas (in Rolex for instance) is close or exact match to the gen.

why is this so? is it due to the difficulty matching a real gold color?

What must I look out for to find the best two tone or full gold replica?

I am more towards Rolex, so I'd want Rolex rep in two tone or Full Gold theme

Thanks for any comments

I have yet to see a TT Sub rep match the gen...I have looked and compared both and I can't seem to find a rep's gold to match the gens in color or weight. Then rep's bracelets never feel right to me and the weight/heft is just one of those "little" things that influence my decision when buying...I want to know that baby is on my wrist!

I guess when I turn 40 next year, those lighter/thinner models will start appealing to me...like the PP and VCs...but until then...pannies all the way.

cheers

Guest RolexRich

Thanks to all of you guys for your comments. :victory:

I think I will go for a TT sub that indeed looks beautiful, I once hold a TT sub a friend got and seems just ok to me in terms of weight and feel.

But at one time a friend showed me a Full Gold Daytona, just looked too bronzed than gold, I'm pretty sure I don't have any colour blind condition, it does looked more brown/bronzed than gold

Thanks to all of you guys for your comments. :victory:

I think I will go for a TT sub that indeed looks beautiful, I once hold a TT sub a friend got and seems just ok to me in terms of weight and feel.

But at one time a friend showed me a Full Gold Daytona, just looked too bronzed than gold, I'm pretty sure I don't have any colour blind condition, it does looked more brown/bronzed than gold

The color is going to vary, probably from factory to factory, maybe even dealer to dealer. The color can resemble bronze, as you have seen, more like brass ( as on door [censored]s) to closer to gen 14K, to a richer, perhaps more orange-like color, approaching the look of real 18K. Without regular protection with sealant and wax, I see the later appears most susceptible to wearing off fastest.

TT and gold reps rarely get praise, at least from us anals around here, because they are rarely well made. High end gold watches are usually 18k and there is no theoretical or practical reason why 18k plated parts cannot be indistinguishable from solid 18k parts to the eye since plating has been perfected for centuries. The problem is that rep makers rarely invest the effort needed to "do it right" into their watches. Some do, and those watches are outstanding. But most don't.

On the subject of gold, should 18k used instead of 14k on watches.

There's a trade off: 18k would look more authentic but 14k tends to be more durable. The best option is very thick eletroplating or PVD 18k, but since,in the world of reps, those are about as common as [censored] on a bull, whether to go w/ 18k or 14k is a tough call.

I have a TT YM and I think it’s great. I’ve compared it to a friend’s genuine TT sub and yes, side by side, if you really look, you can tell the rep’s gold is not quite the right color, but otherwise, the rep is just fine. It came from King and supposedly, the midlinks are solid 14K, but I am guessing they are really more like 10K that’s been plated. The bezel and insert are obviously not solid, but when properly cleaned and polished, everything looks great. In fact, I wear it at least twice a week and other than a few self-inflicted dings, it looks great.

These comparison pics are courtesy of JNKAY, and feature the latest EL TT Blue rep. I think you'll see that the days of lackluster TT reps are in the past. Save for the plated SEL and a few very minor issues this thing is as close to gen as you'd need to get. Most people wouldn't hink twice.

41500-38060.jpg

41500-38061.jpg

Submariner reps (bot SS, TT and all-gold) all have oversized winding crowns. The guards on the rep aren't spot on, either. The rep factories will never get the guards 100% correct, I've accepted that already. These are very good rep cg's though.

The bracelet last link is a bit loose and the SEL doesn't sit perfectly in the lugs. The last link of the bracelet should be a bit "inside" and between the lugs, now it's hanging outside. SUBMARINER font isn't as crisp as genuine. The crystal and rehaut don't merge properly and you can see the thicker white "seal ring" on the fake crystal.

The plated SEL is still the biggest flaw of this rep.

Still it's improved a lot (compared to old rep versions). But indistingushable from the gen?

To a casual observer and even an average watch enthusiast? Yes.

But for a RWG rep nerd? Not even close. :lol:

Edited by By-Tor

You can get an aftermarket 2 - tone or full gold bracelet. I'm not sure if these have solid end links though, and you'd have to attach the clasp from the rep or buy a genuine clasp.

Cat 5 your pictures are great. I too have and tt sub from EL. Love it, get compliments all the time. That we had to ask which pic is the gen proves the point that the two watches are essentially indistinguishable on an apparent quality standpoint. Yes there are slight differences, but without knowing what to look for I don't think anyone would easily tell which is which. Bottom line the gold looks as real as the original.

Cat 5 your pictures are great. I too have and tt sub from EL. Love it, get compliments all the time. That we had to ask which pic is the gen proves the point that the two watches are essentially indistinguishable on an apparent quality standpoint. Yes there are slight differences, but without knowing what to look for I don't think anyone would easily tell which is which. Bottom line the gold looks as real as the original.

Agreed. For the record, those pics were courtesy of JaynKay. I only posted them because he was having trouble getting them to display in the board.

I love my EL TT.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RolexRich

I've decided to buy a two tone Rep pretty soon, is there MBW version of two tone watches? so far I saw all MBW's I see are steel ones.

Thanks

:)